Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

This Thread Is About Coaches

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't know about major improvement but we have to make the tourney.  If not Archie will be sitting on the hottest seat in the country to start year 3.

All depends on Romeo and what roster changes take place between now and the start of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

All depends on Romeo and what roster changes take place between now and the start of the season. 

I don't think so.  The fan base will expect a tourney birth no matter what.  Butler seems to make it every year no matter who they lose.  We're Indiana.  Samspon made it his first season and almost beat FF bound UCLA in the tourney with a roster that really wasn't any better than the one Archie inherited.  I really like Archie but it is what it is.

31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I don't think so.  The fan base will expect a tourney birth no matter what.  Butler seems to make it every year no matter who they lose.  We're Indiana.  Samspon made it his first season and almost beat FF bound UCLA in the tourney with a roster that really wasn't any better than the one Archie inherited.  I really like Archie but it is what it is.

Sampson's players were stoned out of their gourds, though. I can't figure if that makes it more impressive or not?  

24 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess I fall in the camp of I won’t put him on the hot seat if he misses next year. The reason I won’t put him on the hot seat after year 2, is the first 2 seasons are building years. Year 3 expectations should be excitement for the build being over and we have a ranked team going into the season. Now, if we miss year 3 then fire him. 

Saying all that, if we land Romeo and Morgan stays, then we can compete for a conference title next season. The Big10 will be down again. 

32 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You may be right. But Wright didn't get Villanova to the tournament until his 4th year. Bennett didn't get Virginia there until his 3rd. Beilein got UM there his 2nd year, but missed again his 3rd. Pretty sure those fan bases are ok with having kept them around. If our fan base packs it in on a highly regarded young coach 2 years in, I'd be real curious who would take the job next. Who knows, may Alford will be available.

12 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Sampson's players were stoned out of their gourds, though. I can't figure if that makes it more impressive or not?  

You must be thinking of year 2 when Ellis, Crawford, Holman, and Dre arrived.  Those dudes could party.

46 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

One thing Butler has had is continuity.  Despite the different coaches, they have been basically the same team every year due to the culture they've established, and they're running the same system.

13 minutes ago, Demo said:

You may be right. But Wright didn't get Villanova to the tournament until his 4th year. Bennett didn't get Virginia there until his 3rd. Beilein got UM there his 2nd year, but missed again his 3rd. Pretty sure those fan bases are ok with having kept them around. If our fan base packs it in on a highly regarded young coach 2 years in, I'd be real curious who would take the job next. Who knows, may Alford will be available.

Those are good points but I'd also say that we were close to being a tourney team this season.  Simply add an a guy like Jordan Hulls to this season's roster who can actually make an open shot and we probably beat MSU, Purdue, OSU, Illinois, Rutgers, Wisconsin, and possibly Duke.  We were not far off.  I hope Romeo sees that. 

59 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Rosters were very similar. Biggest difference to me is the Senior backcourts of both. Wilmont/Calloway vs. Rojo/ Newkirk.

My initial reaction is I would take Earl/ Rod in a heartbeat, did a little research and the stats are pretty similar. Could be recency bias, but I don't remember Earl/ Rod making me near as upset as Newkirk/Rojo. And I was a lot more volatile back then lol

Rod and Earl were competitors , Rojo and Newkirk, meh.

You must be thinking of year 2 when Ellis, Crawford, Holman, and Dre arrived.  Those dudes could party.

The problem was that they also partied hard, and Sampson did nothing to reign them in. Disaster came calling (see what I did there?).

Rosters were very similar. Biggest difference to me is the Senior backcourts of both. Wilmont/Calloway vs. Rojo/ Newkirk.
My initial reaction is I would take Earl/ Rod in a heartbeat, did a little research and the stats are pretty similar. Could be recency bias, but I don't remember Earl/ Rod making me near as upset as Newkirk/Rojo. And I was a lot more volatile back then lol
Rod and Earl were competitors , Rojo and Newkirk, meh.

Yep. I remember Calloway being a pretty good player and Wilmont making some big shots as a freshman in a win over PU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We fundamentally don’t see certain things the same way. And that’s ok.

The people that pointed out the blemishes and coaching inadequacies were attacked and ridiculed on here for years. There was always a strong contingent of people that would support Crean no matter what despite all evidence that he wasn’t the guy Indiana needed for years. A few of these people held on until the very end.

I’m not even one that is big into firing coaches, etc. You and others know I haven’t complained about Archie’s coaching all season, despite the losses. I think Archie will do great here if able to compete on a level playing field. If he fails, I’ll admit to being wrong. He knows basketball.

I don’t think people realize how annoying it was for people to ignore or shoot down any and all valid criticisms of Crean for years.

Both sides were annoyed with each other and it bled into the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't remember people ignoring and shooting down any and all valid criticisms of Crean for years.

13 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

I don't remember people ignoring and shooting down any and all valid criticisms of Crean for years.

Then you weren't reading.   Some most definitely did; and a couple went and started their own board because they couldn't handle being told they didn't understand what they were watching.  IU made shots and won games meant Crean was a great coach.  Happened with Davis, happened with Crean.   Those same people would get behind Big Bird the same way.  

5 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Then you weren't reading.   Some most definitely did; and a couple went and started their own board because they couldn't handle being told they didn't understand what they were watching.  IU made shots and won games meant Crean was a great coach.  Happened with Davis, happened with Crean.   Those same people would get behind Big Bird the same way.  

My recollection was that everybody was in agreement about Crean's flaws. Maybe I was projecting lol. I do recall you and a few others, battlinbob, were some of the first IU fans to point out criticisms. Maybe you took some heat for that I did not pay much attention to. I just thought you were honing your debating craft lol.