Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Which Option Wins More Games?

With ALL of the attention being paid to the decision of young Mr. Langford, I am curious as to opinions of which lineup would likely produce more wins and accomplishments next season:

A

1. Rob Phinisee
  2. Romeo Langford (Top ten freshman recruit, 6'5", 200)
  3. Justin Smith
  4. Juwan Morgan
  5. DeRon Davis/Race Thompson

or

B

1. Rob Phinisee
  2. Ryan Taylor (Senior grad transfer, 6'5", 200, last year at Eville: 21ppg, 42% 3pt, 86% ft)
  3. Justin Smith
  4. Juwan Morgan
  5. DeRon Davis/Race Thompson

OH...and the ground rules for your answers:

• No lineup substitutions beyond what I listed (ie; - yes, I know that others like Devonte, McBob, Jerome might start, but that's not for this discussion).
  • Not looking at effect on future recruiting; STRICTLY 2018-19 season wins, losses, and ceiling for team accomplishment.

DISCUSS!

I'd take option A. I feel RP will be great at getting Romeo the ball. And when teams try to double Romeo, then RP is well enough to score himself, along with the deadly combo and Juwan and Romeo could cause with P&R's...I can picture Juwan setting a screen, the defense staying with Romeo who then passes to the open Juwan, defense collapses on Juwan by the basket and he lays it off to a cutting Justin Smith for a big slam. Or romeo just pops a three and bang haha

Edited by cleeter

1 minute ago, Whojainjawja said:

Give me the seasoned veteran any day.

I disagree, if it was a seasoned veteran that has played at IU (for example) for 3 years that is different than a seasoned veteran from Ohio U and Evansville.... I would take the Top 10 Recruit in this case. I think the talent is better but also think there is more to winning games than talent alone.

Romeo excites the fanbase which puts more fans in the seats and that helps get wins this year! Does Ryan Taylor do that? Nope, most fans/students wouldn't know who he was.

Romeo has the potential to be an elite scorer and Taylor would not be this. I understand Romeo could also be a bust so maybe the floor is higher for Taylor but the ceiling is higher with Romeo.

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

I disagree, if it was a seasoned veteran that has played at IU (for example) for 3 years that is different than a seasoned veteran from Ohio U and Evansville.... I would take the Top 10 Recruit in this case. I think the talent is better but also think there is more to winning games than talent alone.

Romeo excites the fanbase which puts more fans in the seats and that helps get wins this year! Does Ryan Taylor do that? Nope, most fans/students wouldn't know who he was.

Romeo has the potential to be an elite scorer and Taylor would not be this. I understand Romeo could also be a bust so maybe the floor is higher for Taylor but the ceiling is higher with Romeo.

I agree with you. For instance, lets compare romeo to "veteran transfers" of years before (not saying these transfers are as good as taylor, but just for theory of debate)
Romeo > Newkirk (veteran)
Romeo > Zeisloft (loved him, but still)
Romeo > McSwain 

Experience is very valuable, but sometimes talent like romeo is worth way more than 2 years at a DII school or a school that plays in a weak conference.

Edited by cleeter

With lineup A, we would go 35-4 and reach the Final Four. With lineup B, we would go 33-5 and reach the Elite Eight. With a combination of both (and a healthy, productive De'Ron), we'd go 40-0 and win the NCAA title. ... In all seriousness, I think lineup A would get the better results. Sure, Taylor has more experience, but both he and Romeo would be in their first years with Archie and I have to think Romeo is the more talented player, so in the end, I go with talent. 

1 hour ago, cleeter said:

I agree with you. For instance, lets compare romeo to "veteran transfers" of years before (not saying these transfers are as good as taylor, but just for theory of debate)
Romeo > Newkirk (veteran)
Romeo > Zeisloft (loved him, but still)
Romeo > McSwain 

Experience is very valuable, but sometimes talent like romeo is worth way more than 2 years at a DII school or a school that plays in a weak conference.

Keith Smart?

Dean Garret?

And what about Max Bielfeldt?  Pretty much a non-factor at Michigan until his senior year, and was a major contributor at IU as a fifth year grad transfer, on a Big Ten championship team.  Maturity (22 year old vs. 18 year old) and experience can make up for talent difference (see Kentucky).  Both players the same size, both with scorer mentality, one 18 years old with experience against less talented high school competition,  the other 22 years old with 3 years experience against D1 competition (albeit it low-to-mid level)....idk. either would fill a huge need for IU, both would be even better.  

I think both lineups are 20 win starting lineups. I just think Romeo is going to have an enormous impact on where he goes. I really do believe (yes, I'm biased) that we could be a final four contender next year with him. I think he should be the #1 or #2 player in the country for 2018. Ryan Taylor is a good 5th year senior but he's not Romeo Langford. I say Lineup A is Elite 8/Final Four and Lineup B is Rd of 32/Sweet 16. 

15 minutes ago, hoosierdogg said:

Keith Smart?

Dean Garret?

And what about Max Bielfeldt?  Pretty much a non-factor at Michigan until his senior year, and was a major contributor at IU as a fifth year grad transfer, on a Big Ten championship team.  Maturity (22 year old vs. 18 year old) and experience can make up for talent difference (see Kentucky).  Both players the same size, both with scorer mentality, one 18 years old with experience against less talented high school competition,  the other 22 years old with 3 years experience against D1 competition (albeit it low-to-mid level)....idk. either would fill a huge need for IU, both would be even better.  

Very valid point. I mean it can go both ways. I wasnt trying to say that i would ALWAYS take the freshman against a veteran. But i do like you examples and it totally shows that it can be a toss up at times and with some players, the veteran could be a better option from time to time or at least be a toss up.

Edited by cleeter