Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan31

(2019) C Mackenzie Holmes to IUWBB

Here's an article from 2 years ago:

Firecracker freshman, Holmes offered scholarship to UNH

Published January 18, 2016 | By Firecrackers

DSC_0392Gorham post receives first offer during visit to America East school

Mackenzie Holmes and her dad visited the University of New Hampshire on Sunday to observe practice and get a tour of the school and facilities. At the end of the visit they sat down with Coach Maureen Magarity … A scholarship offer was the topic of that conversation!

For those that know Mackenzie, this is something she has dreamed about for a long time. You could say she was born into a basketball family. Both Mom and Dad were outstanding players in high school and continued their careers in college. Being in a gym was like home in many ways.

Lenny and Denise have been involved with basketball as high school coaches and more recently (last 12 years) in AAU. They are very knowledgeable about the process. But with that said, the offer from UNH came as a pleasant surprise halfway through Mackenzie’s freshman year.

“When I received the call from Mackenzie on the way home from UNH last night I couldn’t have been more excited” said Don Briggs, her Firecracker coach. “I know how much time she has put into the game … I know the commitment she has made … And no one has a better team first attitude. She is an absolute pleasure to coach and today is just a testament to her and her family for the sacrifices they have made over many years.”

It wasn’t always easy. Mackenzie recently joined the Firecracker program (a year ago), and it became painfully clear she needed to improve her conditioning. To her credit she allowed herself to be coached, put in the extra effort outside of practice, and transformed herself into a Division I athlete. “I speak with a lot of college coaches on a daily basis”, said Briggs. “The consistent theme in those conversations is Mackenzie’s motor … She is an active post player both on offense and defense. It is very rare to have that mindset at such a young age. I am reminded of a sequence this past fall at a Division I viewing period game at a Tabor Academy. Mackenzie blocked a shot at one end and scored a layup at the other end as she sprinted the floor in front of 50-plus coaches. That is a differentiator …”

Seldom do people achieve success without the support of others and this is the case with Mackenzie. Mom, Dad, her stepmother Joan and big brother Cam (lot’s of games of one-on-one) have worked tirelessly in their support of helping her develop the necessary basketball and life skills. Also included in her support is her time playing for Dudley Davis and the YES! program, and more recently playing for Coach Berthiaume and the Gorham Rams.

“I am confident there will be more offers coming”, said Briggs. “With our recent agreement to join the ASGR Summer League visibility will be the highest it’s ever been. Mackenzie has the skills, footwork, soft hands, physicality, and attitude to have a lot of options as to where she wants to go to school before her high school career is over. For now, she can enjoy this offer from UNH and stay focused on her teammates and the pursuit of a Gold Ball.”

With this offer, Mackenzie becomes the 16th Firecracker to receive a basketball scholarship.

Going into Maine’s Class AA title game in March — the largest class in the state — Holmes was averaging 21 points, 13.2 rebounds, and 5.2 blocks per game.  Per the article below, she measures 6'2" with a 6'5" wingspan.  

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2018/03/iuwbb-mackenzie-holmes-becomes-ius-third-verbal-commit-for-2019/

20 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Going into Maine’s Class AA title game in March — the largest class in the state — Holmes was averaging 21 points, 13.2 rebounds, and 5.2 blocks per game.  Per the article below, she measures 6'2" with a 6'5" wingspan.  

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2018/03/iuwbb-mackenzie-holmes-becomes-ius-third-verbal-commit-for-2019/

She sounds like she really wants to improve, and to push herself

Mackenzie Holmes scored a game-high 30 points Thursday night to lead Gorham to a 69-46 girls’ basketball win over Noble.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/12/13/thursdays-high-school-roundup-gorham-goes-to-2-0-in-girls-basketball-as-holmes-scores-30/

WOW! Atta girl! Great start to the season.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/12/18/girls-basketball-holmes-lifts-gorham-past-deering/

Mackenzie Holmes gets a double-double in the first 10 minutes, finishes with 33 points and 28 rebounds and lifts Gorham to a win.

@foresports: South Portland's girls get a measure of revenge from last year's playoff ouster with a 55-43 win over defending regional champion Gorham tonight. Maggie Whitmore 23 points. Jena Leckie 18. Mackenzie Holmes 22 points, 13 rebounds for Rams (10-6). SP now 15-1. #VarsityMaine