Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
LIHoosier

#IUWBB - 2018 WNIT CHAMPS!

Banner Up! So Happy For My Hoosiers! Great ending to a great year! We will miss Buss and Cahill and the rest of the seniors but the future looks bright with Penn and Yeaney and our other returners and incoming recruits. Basketball still reigns supreme in Indiana! Good day—Happy Easter weekend Hoosier Nation!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 3/23/2018 at 3:18 PM, RBB89 said:

Uh, what?

Here is the complete history of IU Women’s Basketball in the NCAA Tournament:

Year Round Opponent Result
1983 First Round
Second Round
Kentucky
Georgia
W 87–76
L 86–70
1994 First Round Ole Miss L 83–61
1995 First Round Georgia L 81–64
2002 First Round TCU L 55–45
2016 First Round
Second Round
Georgia
Notre Dame
W 62–58
L 87–70

I’ll repeat what I said above:

This is literally the best three year stretch in the history of the program. On the court and off. She’s won our second NCAA tournament game ever, gotten us to the postseason three years in a row for the first time ever, and landed our first two five-star recruits.

Getting all uppity about how “we should’ve done this” is pointless. TM has the program winning more/recruiting better than they ever have. Mediocrity is a HUGE step forward for what has been a horrible program for decades. I have no idea what you’re talking about with hit and miss recruiting either; we never landed five stars before TM. Despite facing the program’s horrific reputation, she’s done remarkably well. Let her do her job and keep the program growing.

I feel like some people look at every IU program through the lens of the men’s basketball team, and that’s just ridiculous. It’s like the people whining about Lemonis in baseball, even though he’s responsible for 1/3 of our all-time NCAA tournament appearances and has us ranked #11 in the country. There were fans saying that he “refuses to emphasize defense” last year, despite putting up the 3 best defensive seasons (fielding percentage) in the program’s history in his first 3 years. Some of the “issues” people point out are simply not real.

I really think that year where we flirted with the Capital One Cup did this to our fanbase. It was just an amazing year: national champion men's soccer team, top 10 men's basketball team, top 10 baseball team, and our women's basketball team had just hired what was thought to be a rising star in the profession. Those were the halcyon days of IU athletics, and I think a lot of our fans just miss that and are frustrated by the expected regression.

I have some concerns about what will happen with this program post-Buss/Cahill, but we're in a far better spot now than we were three years ago when half our roster transferred and Buss was rumored to be out as well.

I was working this afternoon, but had the game on. I did stop during the final couple of minutes to watch the finish. I really enjoyed watching and hearing the crowd and watching those kids celebrate after the game. And to see Cahill, Buss and the rest of the seniors not only win their final game, but get a trophy, was pretty special. Nice job, ladies! 

Congrats to the ladies. Unfortunately, I have been traveling than busy so saw none of any game in WNIT except a small part of TCU (as well as followed parts of UC Davis and Va Tech on twitter). Very cool to see the shots of the crowd throughout the tourney from pictures. Never thought I'd see the day where a women's game had a full lower level and people in the balcony which was awesome. I would say when counting actual people in the building that was the 4th largest crowd of the year men or women yesterday behind Duke, PU and MSU for the men. 

Again congrats to the ladies and glad we sent Buss out with a banner as the greatest player in women's history.