Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

NIT Bubble Watch

Positive? Yes. People don’t go to Stanford due to athletics. People don’t go to Duke for athletics. People don’t go to Notre Dame due to football. Same as Michigan. If people went to schools for athletics they could/would go to different schools within each of these states. We are fans. We are a truly small portion of the fan base. How many here truly went to IU? How many went there due to basketball? I bet an even smaller number. I have never understood this argument. Athletics may account for less than 1% of a university. The purpose of athletics to try and make money from donors. Not draw kids to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe applications have increased at universities that have found success on the court or the field. I'm not 100% sure but I thought I heard that was the case at several universities.

I applied and was accepted at several universities around the country. However, among other reasons, I chose IU having grown up as an IU fan.

Hopefully, Romeo will be choosing to enroll at IU due to basketball reasons too!

IU should be a public Ivy, but our trustees are more interested in quantity of students than they are in the quality of students. What is now, 41,000?  and I suspect they would like to see it reach 50,000. IU is not a selective school. About 70% of applicants get in. Compare that to Michigan, UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, Cal, etc. You'll see what I mean. Academically IU is rated very close to the bottom of the B10. Maybe ahead of Nebraska and Rutgers. It doesn't have to be that way. Tighten admissions. If Indiana kids can't get into IU they can get into  ISU, BSU, USI, or Vincennes. The problem is the trustees are appointed based on their connections to the Republican party and then we have people with dubious qualifications running the show. IU is a good school that should be so much better. 

I am not certain he was arguing against that? I don’t think many would. I too thought the initial discussion about athletics and admissions, not quality of student.

1 hour ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

I don't understand it. Maryland had a couple dominant years in the ACC and like one good B1G season but haven't REALLY done much since the early 2000's.

I live in Harford County, MD about 2 miles from John Carroll, where Immanuel Quickly played HS ball (Kentucky recruit), and got to see him and Jalen Smith (MD recruit) play a couple times during the Baltimore Catholic League season. Smith is a big man with skills and will probably be one of the best freshmen in the B1G next season. If he pans out, Turgeon may be around for several more years.

I hope he is around, he's pulling in good recruits that other B1G teams might get that are good. they'll just continue to average or worse.

IU should be a public Ivy, but our trustees are more interested in quantity of students than they are in the quality of students. What is now, 41,000?  and I suspect they would like to see it reach 50,000. IU is not a selective school. About 70% of applicants get in. Compare that to Michigan, UNC, UVA, Notre Dame, Cal, etc. You'll see what I mean. Academically IU is rated very close to the bottom of the B10. Maybe ahead of Nebraska and Rutgers. It doesn't have to be that way. Tighten admissions. If Indiana kids can't get into IU they can get into  ISU, BSU, USI, or Vincennes. The problem is the trustees are appointed based on their connections to the Republican party and then we have people with dubious qualifications running the show. IU is a good school that should be so much better. 

I thought trustees were voted on by alumni? I get a ballot asking me to vote, or at least I thought I did every year or so.

If they are appointed by IN governors that makes no since to me.

10 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I thought trustees were voted on by alumni? I get a ballot asking me to vote, or at least I thought I did every year or so.

If they are appointed by IN governors that makes no since to me.

3 trustees are voted by alumni(one per year), 6 are appointed by the governor with one of them being a current student.