Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

IU Soccer Playing At Grand Park Observations

I'm at Grand Park watching IU take on the Swope Park Rangers a team in the USL (same league as Indy 11) out of KC.

First off game just started so in terms of who is starting its Muse in goal with defense the same (Gutman, Mehl, Buckmaster) with Palazollo getting first shot to replace Lillard. Mid is interesting with Thomas, Glass, Swartz, Moore and Rennicks. Thats what I would expect except Dorsey (who is on spring roster) over Glass so not sure whats going on there. Obviously baring full health Panchot will be super sub this yr and Guthjar not yet recovered from ACL who will push Swartz for last starting spot.

Warr as expected in Toye's spot and I expect that all yr.

15 min. in IU leads 1-0 on a beautiful header off a set piece from just outside the box that was headed in (it may have been Mehl but several IU guys in area so not positive). Even game so far otherwise. This Swope team unlike most college teams can at minimum match IU pound for pound.

Gutman just made the sickest moves ever through one of the Swope players legs on a break away that the goalie stops. We are so lucky to have him back this year as he could easily be a pro right now.

Halftime and IU still leads 1-0.

Our defense even without Lillard looks every bit as organized and as good as last year. We've shut everything down they've tried to do before it became dangerous and Muse was only needed once to make a save off a corner.

Offense may be a problem. Warr looks really slow out there and is not winning races down the field like Toye did and was basically invisable. With that said Rennicks (although a natural mid) looks really really good and could challenge for starting forward. Doesn't have Toye's speed (although hes decently fast) but posseses excellent ball skills and was down there before Warr a couple times. He almost caught the goalie napping on a goal kick and nearly scored off a deflection late as well as a few other runs down the field where he had a chance. Only other scoring opportunity was with a min. left off a set piece that started midfield and ended with a decent look from Thomas just outside box that was just high.

Overall excellent half against a pro team on a higher level than us. Gutman and Rennicks especially stood out. 

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I'm at Grand Park watching IU take on the Swope Park Rangers a team in the USL (same league as Indy 11) out of KC.

First off game just started so in terms of who is starting its Muse in goal with defense the same (Gutman, Mehl, Buckmaster) with Palazollo getting first shot to replace Lillard. Mid is interesting with Thomas, Glass, Swartz, Moore and Rennicks. Thats what I would expect except Dorsey (who is on spring roster) over Glass so not sure whats going on there. Obviously baring full health Panchot will be super sub this yr and Guthjar not yet recovered from ACL who will push Swartz for last starting spot.

Warr as expected in Toye's spot and I expect that all yr.

15 min. in IU leads 1-0 on a beautiful header off a set piece from just outside the box that was headed in (it may have been Mehl but several IU guys in area so not positive). Even game so far otherwise. This Swope team unlike most college teams can at minimum match IU pound for pound.

I think you're the only one I seen calling this.

Just now, ccgeneral said:

I think you're the only one I seen calling this.

After that half I think it should probably be Rennicks but lets see what happens.

Halftime and IU still leads 1-0.
Our defense even without Lillard looks every bit as organized and as good as last year. We've shut everything down they've tried to do before it became dangerous and Muse was only needed once to make a save off a corner.
Offense may be a problem. Not scoring but Warr looks really slow out there and is not winning races down the field like Toye did and was basically invisable. With that said Rennicks (although a natural mid) looks really really good and could challenge for starting forward. Doesn't have Toye's speed (although hes decently fast) but posseses excellent ball skills and was down there before Warr a couple times. He almost caught the goalie napping on a goal kick and nearly scored off a deflection late as well as a few other runs down the field where he had a chance. Only other scoring opportunity was with a min. left off a set piece that started midfield and ended with a decent look from Thomas just outside box that was just high.
Overall excellent half against a pro team on a higher level than us.

We have something like 5 seniors on this team that will contribute? Not to mention Dorsey and Rennicks.

Going to need a great recruiting class to avoid a big drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We have something like 5 seniors on this team that will contribute? Not to mention Dorsey and Rennicks.

Going to need a great recruiting class to avoid a big drop off.

We had the no. 8 class this yr which was second straight top 10 class. Yes team will be gutted after this yr. and no longer arguably be best team in college soccer in 2019 but theres guys on bench itching to play who you or I have never heard of who would be playing this year on most teams. We will still always be a top 25 team and its a bit early to talk 2019.

Swope ties it on a tip your hat goal from a terrible angle on the left side that somehow snuck in the right post. Nothing IU did wrong or could of done differently. 1-1 35 left.

We had the no. 8 class this yr which was second straight top 10 class. Yes team will be gutted after this yr. and no longer arguably be best team in college soccer in 2019 but theres guys on bench itching to play who you or I have never heard of who would be playing this year on most teams. We will still always be a top 25 team and its a bit early to talk 2019.

Appreciated. Just trying to get feel for the roster. Excited for this squad.

15 minutes ago, Aaron said:

After that half I think it should probably be Rennicks but lets see what happens.

Hopefully someone emerges quickly. Our offense was rough on the eyes for too many years prior to last season.

Swope takes late lead on another goal and slowly wears us down but IU scores even later to tie (I stupidly had my head turned so not sure now).

Good news is Swope is far better than any college team in terms of skill and we hung in there (ND by comparison who is close to us in college terms got killed 3-1 by Indy 11 and were never in game and Swope is a better team on that level than 11).

I would not look much into the result other than to say we need to sort forward out before fall as Warr looks lost out there as Rennicks got a chance late. Gutman, Rennicks, Moore, Thomas and Mehl looked as good as any Swope player and are high level pro's in the making. Buckmaster, Swartz and Pollozollo held up fine but didn't wow but will do very well against any college team. Panchot, Glass and especially Warr looked overwhelmed out there but the former 2 should be replaced by Dorsey and Guthjar in a normal circumstance who are also high level pro's so no worries other than Warr.

Overall good performance and we are ready for season and to play at highest level once we sort forward out.

A few last notes:

1. From what I could tell Dorsey did not even make trip as I could not find him anywhere on bench even after. Not sure whats up there but I assume its nothing.

2. Ian Black who does not figure prominently into this team at all was on crutches.

3. Heard Yeagley's speech to team after and he seemed fairly pleased. Just stressed they need to connect on passes better when trying to score (I assume he was referring to Warr mostly but wasn't going to call him out by name rightly) but thought they controlled flow and held Swope mostly in check. I can't sum up most of what he said but obviously agreed with it.

4. Nice crowd for an indoor exhibition game. Maybe 200-300 (only a few built in bleachers above and they were somewhat full) which isn't bad for this circumstance.

IU twitter just posted and confirmed what I thought that the first goal was indeed Mehl on the header early off Swartz free kick from just outside the box.

Second goal I missed was apparently Warr of all people off a pass from Rennicks on a break away. I criticize all night and the one time I turn my head Warr did something good although most of that I assume was Rennicks (again I had my head turned at the wrong time when the goal happened so can't really say much on it). Still doesn't change that Warr looked awful for most part and needs to improve if he wants starting job in fall as he is to slow and not technical enough with ball in open field.