Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Cheaney Interview

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I wondered how interested Calbert might be. From some of the things I've read, it didn't sound like he was all that interested -- he was just interviewing because others wanted him to do. And if you have someone who's not that interested vs. someone who's extremely interested, I would think that would become evident during the interview. 

One of the things I read said he wanted to stay in St. Louis until his kids finished school. ... Also, Calbert might not be the kind of guy who feels comfortable being in charge of the program. Maybe he's fine with being an assistant. If he ever does decide to return to the bench, I hope Archie can find a spot for him in B-town. 

You have to remember that McCarty has worked under Brad Stevens for the last 4 or 5 years. Calbert is a former assistant, former DOBO and been out of the game for two years. 

If the rumors are true then it might not be that Cal didn't want the job but UE isn't willing to pony up the cash?  So many different variables involved with stuff like this.  I really think this is a good job and if Cal wants to coach again then this is a really good start.

9 hours ago, Lebowski said:

If the rumors are true then it might not be that Cal didn't want the job but UE isn't willing to pony up the cash?  So many different variables involved with stuff like this.  I really think this is a good job and if Cal wants to coach again then this is a really good start.

McCarty was coached up pretty good by Stevens for his interview & Stevens made a nice call on his behalf too. I don't think CC said all of the right things in his interview. He was telling people he really wanted the job but some are not sure he really wants to put in the work of a head coach. I don't think he wanted it as much as the people he was going to hire wanted him to get it. 

I live near and work in Evansville.. I’ve read that Walter’s phone interview went very well.  He may end up being the better choice. I just have to get over the fact that he played for UK and was prop 48 out of high school.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I can't say much about McCarty's coaching prowess or ability, but I worked with him for 4+ years with Celtics when he was a player, and he's is a great, great guy. He treated the front office/business staff with as much respect as any player we had, which is a big deal. Most guys either deal with the PR/Community/Business people, and some completely try to ignore them, but Walter always treated us as "co-workers", got to know the front office people on a personal level, and would do all the media/community outreach that was requested of him. 

I can tell you, Boston absolutely loves him. What that means as far as how we would coach the Evansville, who knows? But Evansville would be getting a great ambassador for the program, that is for sure. I'd also think he could recruit pretty well given his college and NBA resume. 

I’d say you know what you are talking about.

Thank You!

What is funny about this is UE's top three are all Evansville Harrison grads (Cheaney, McCarty, and Ragland). There are also two former Harrison grads coaching in the sweet 16. Chris Lowery (former SIU HC and current K-State assistant) and Brad Brownell (Clemson HC). I wonder what they put in the water there. 

12 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

What is funny about this is UE's top three are all Evansville Harrison grads (Cheaney, McCarty, and Ragland). There are also two former Harrison grads coaching in the sweet 16. Chris Lowery (former SIU HC and current K-State assistant) and Brad Brownell (Clemson HC). I wonder what they put in the water there. 

I know, right.  I believe Cheaney, Lowery, and Brownell were teammates in like 88 or something like that.  It's been awhile.  I can't remember.  What's even crazier is that I think they didn't win a sectional.  McCarty and Ragland both were able to get it done though.