Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Cheaney Interview

I asked my friend who lives in Evansville if she'd heard anything about Calbert being a candidate.  She said "That's all I've heard, lol".  Seems there's a lot of people getting excited

" “I finished the first round of phone interviews today,” Spencer said. “We will be bringing them in starting this week, hopefully getting through this process quickly.”

Sources indicate Calbert Cheaney is the potential frontrunner.

Spencer said a reasonably-expedited search was the plan Wednesday morning in the hours after Marty Simmons was officially fired after 11 seasons as head coach."

From evansville paper. Seems A.D. is really tight lipped about the search. Rumor is calbert is asking for 1.5 million for him and staff..double what Simmons was allotted. Pretty ballsy for a first time head coach

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I read that all but like two of UE’s guys have requested release now. Someone is going to have to take over an already bad Valley team with a good chunk of the roster gone. 

Some of them may stay just depends on the coach. Some of them leaving* May not be a bad thing.

Only ones i would take on the whole team is Ryan Taylor and dru smith

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

Some of them may stay just depends on the coach. Some of them leaving* May not be a bad thing.

Only ones i would take on the whole team is Ryan Taylor and dru smith

Yeah that’s what I meant by good chunk. Unlikely all of those guys find landing spots. I imagine Cheaney would be able to keep some around. Seems like a guy players would like. 

If the number is true that Calbert reportedly threw at UE, I wonder if it wasn't more in line with "Well, I would have come but they wouldn't match my offer."   In essence, he doesn't flatly turn them down.  He did a really nice interview several months ago that I posted but I have no idea in what thread.  He seemed very comfortable in St. Louis and being able to follow his children's high school careers.  I believe his daughter is a very accomplished tennis player and his son is also involved in athletics.   To accept the UE job means that all ends and from that interview I got the impression that fatherhood is very important to him at this stage of his life as he acknowledged missing out on much of their earlier years because of his involvement in basketball.     Now having said all this, probably by the end of the day he'll be announced as the new UE head coach.  That would match the luck I've had with my ESPN brackets and our own Survivor League.  

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If the number is true that Calbert reportedly threw at UE, I wonder if it wasn't more in line with "Well, I would have come but they wouldn't match my offer."   In essence, he doesn't flatly turn them down.  He did a really nice interview several months ago that I posted but I have no idea in what thread.  He seemed very comfortable in St. Louis and being able to follow his children's high school careers.  I believe his daughter is a very accomplished tennis player and his son is also involved in athletics.   To accept the UE job means that all ends and from that interview I got the impression that fatherhood is very important to him at this stage of his life as he acknowledged missing out on much of their earlier years because of his involvement in basketball.     Now having said all this, probably by the end of the day he'll be announced as the new UE head coach.  That would match the luck I've had with my ESPN brackets and our own Survivor League.  

The salary demands that were being reported are false said Pat Hickey the Evansville writer. I will say that CC has made some calls to potential people he would want on his staff if he would happen to take the job. 

The salary demands that were being reported are false said Pat Hickey the Evansville writer. I will say that CC has made some calls to potential people he would want on his staff if he would happen to take the job. 

Actually hickey said--- that the athletic director said the numbers were false, but he (hickey) got those numbers from 2 different sources. Spencer just knows he can deny since being a private U they don't have to say what they are going to pay like public universities do. UE is also allegedly trying to block Dru Smith a transfer to several schools, including d2 southern indiana

52 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

Actually hickey said--- that the athletic director said the numbers were false, but he (hickey) got those numbers from 2 different sources. Spencer just knows he can deny since being a private U they don't have to say what they are going to pay like public universities do. UE is also allegedly trying to block Dru Smith a transfer to several schools, including d2 southern indiana

Calbert is in Evannsvile today per Pat Hickey and others

Calbert Cheaney is in town today to formally interview for the Evansville head coaching job. He is one of at least three (possibly four) candidates who will be in this week to meet with AD Mark Spencer.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

I don't know the if the numbers quoted are correct or not but I do know he wants the pot to be bigger so he can hire the people he wants as Assistants. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know the if the numbers quoted are correct or not but I do know he wants the pot to be bigger so he can hire the people he wants as Assistants. 

If that's true then that's actually a good thing for UE basketball, especially if they want to be conference contenders year after year.  This job can be a really good job to land and if the school is willing to go "all in" then it makes sense to ask for a bigger pot.  I mean it wasn't too long ago that Butler was playing in the Horizon League and considered a rival.