Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Season Thoughts Thread

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was black chosen because of his race or simply because it's the opposite of white?  

I am of the opinion that there can be no good excuse for choosing that color in this circumstance.  Did nobody have second thoughts about that?  Amazing.  Because he did not win enough basketball games for a bunch of entitled fans.  Sickening.

3 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

I am of the opinion that there can be no good excuse for choosing that color in this circumstance.  Did nobody have second thoughts about that?  Amazing.  Because he did not win enough basketball games for a bunch of entitled fans.  Sickening.

While normally I would agree what other color do you choose there?

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

While normally I would agree what other color do you choose there?

It is not my job to organize fan statements at basketball games or spread the word about such things that are nonsensical to me at best, and hate filled at worst.  A color statement if necessary (sarcasm) needed a lot more thought by whoever is in charge of making color statements before giving the green light.  That was a nationally televised game.

1 minute ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

It is not my job to organize fan statements at basketball games or spread the word about such things that are nonsensical to me at best, and hate filled at worst.  That color statement needed a lot more thought before giving it the green light.  That was a nationally televised game.

It's apparently your job to judge it though?  

That being said if Black was chosen because of skin color it was horrible. If it was chosen because it's the opposite of white which they have used to show support for the team then I understand it. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

It's apparently your job to judge it though?  

That being said if Black was chosen because of skin color it was horrible. If it was chosen because it's the opposite of white which they have used to show support for the team then I understand it. 

Yes.  It is everybody's job to judge such things.  I am certain I am not the only person in Assembly Hall that day who questioned the double entendre.  IU is a university.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And doing so without all the facts is apparently alright 

Extremely poor judgement guided the decision to give a blackout the green light that day.

Just curious, not that this would make the Mike Davis blackout OK, but can you tell me about any Crean and/or Sampson and/or Dakich and/or Knight blackouts that ever took place in Assembly Hall?

2 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Extremely poor judgement guided the decision to give a blackout the green light that day.

Just curious, not that this would make the Mike Davis blackout OK, but can you tell me about any Crean and/or Sampson and/or Dakich and/or Knight blackouts that ever took place in Assembly Hall?

No but Knoght had tremendous fan support and Sampson was fired too soon. And Dakich was an annoying band aid. 

Crean was the only comparable situation and it happened after the Davis situation. 

But we did some white outs under Crean.

2 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Did nobody really ask if anybody else thought that might be construed as a racist statement? 

The answer to that question is not yes.

Thank god we live in a world where the mere capability of being misconstrued as something does not make it so. 

And from what I can tell, I could only find 2 accounts online describing the blackout, it was not widespread or severely noticeable. 

So even if it was seems more like bad apples than the crowd. 

12 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Thank god we live in a world where the mere capability of being misconstrued as something does not make it so. 

And from what I can tell, I could only find 2 accounts online describing the blackout, it was not widespread or severely noticeable. 

So even if it was seems more like bad apples than the crowd. 

The "issue" for lack of a better word of Mike Davis' race was discussed to such an extent at that time that the Board of Trustees chose Davis' successor based largely on his minority status.  I just don't see how race could not have occurred to anybody in the black-out decision making department at that time.  One person did not make that decision.  That was a group decision.

2 hours ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

It is not my job to organize fan statements at basketball games or spread the word about such things that are nonsensical to me at best, and hate filled at worst.  A color statement if necessary (sarcasm) needed a lot more thought by whoever is in charge of making color statements before giving the green light.  That was a nationally televised game.

Sure seems like you're jumping to conclusions in saying black was picked because of his skin color. 

11 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

I think you are being disingenuous if you are saying you cannot fathom a connection.

But you're making that connection on your own. Maybe they did a black out because the coach was black, maybe they did it for another reason. Only the people who did it know for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

But you're making that connection on your own. Maybe they did a black out because the coach was black, maybe they did it for another reason. Only the people who did it know for sure. 

It was a very poor decision if only one person made the decision to call for a black-out, and impossible to believe 10,000 people did not consider the possible connection.  Impossible and sickening.

People often make poor choices when under the influence of the mob mentality.