Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Season Thoughts Thread

9 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Actually our conference schedule was 2nd hardest behind Wisconsin. Michigan st had the easiest conference schedule

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe historically the conference champion is often the team with one of the top 3 easiest schedules.

This season it looks like the teams with the 4 easiest schedules are the top 4 teams. The teams with the hardest schedule finished last last.

The team that bucked the trend, Michigan with 4th hardest schedule, but finished near the top, is one still playing. Might be something interesting to look at how any teams in top 5 difficulty and top 5 standing ultimately fared.

I think most people understood Davis was in over his head. 

He never should have been given the job. 

Crean had plenty of experience and apparently a blank check for recruiting and couldn't get it done. 

For me, I would take Sampson without the phone calls over Crean. Sampson also should have recruited players that were not weed heads.

For me, I would take Sampson without the phone calls over Crean.

Me too if our players wouldn’t get us banned from the tournament due to low APR. Out of those 3 coaches it isn’t even close. Sampson was a really good x and o coach.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I was at IU during the same timeframe. It isn’t close as to who is the worst coach of the 3. I would argue the admin that hired Davis and Davis did more to harm this program than Sampson and Crean combined. Basically that admin decided we weren’t going to be a top a program anymore. In perception and reality. Sampson was what he was before he got here. That’s on the admin. Crean really got us back on track academically. He wasn’t consistent enough to coach here. He did some good things, but equally dumb things. Some on here act as though he brought the program down to the rubbles. That’s just simply not the case. I am glad he is gone. I hope for consistency, but he is no Davis or Sampson. I hope Archie is here for 25 years.

Well said. Crean got fired for not consistently winning games. That is why a coach is SUPPOSED to get fired. Not for cheating & having an out of control program (Sampson) or being a royal D-bag whose winning tailed off (Knight.) Crean ran a clean program and won a couple of Conference titles. Who cares if he tugged on his pants, chugged diet coke or rambled about deflections. The point is to win without completely selling your soul. He couldn't do that so he got fired. 

I like Archie's approach so far and am pretty confident he'll succeed. But if he doesn't win games will anyone really care that he's "no non-sense" or a "straight shooter"? Will recruiting "Indiana first" matter with mediocre results? No. Gotta win- you can be a weirdo or a jerk or a whatever, but you better win.

Well said. Crean got fired for not consistently winning games. That is why a coach is SUPPOSED to get fired. Not for cheating & having an out of control program (Sampson) or being a royal D-bag whose winning tailed off (Knight.) Crean ran a clean program and won a couple of Conference titles. Who cares if he tugged on his pants, chugged diet coke or rambled about deflections. The point is to win without completely selling your soul. He couldn't do that so he got fired. 
I like Archie's approach so far and am pretty confident he'll succeed. But if he doesn't win games will anyone really care that he's "no non-sense" or a "straight shooter"? Will recruiting "Indiana first" matter with mediocre results? No. Gotta win- you can be a weirdo or a jerk or a whatever, but you better win.

Exactly. I like Archie but he will have to win. I don’t give a damn if he gave a Bryce Drew styled speech if he wins.

Having perspective is a definite show of intelligence. To chalk up Crean's tenure as a "disaster" demonstrates a complete lack of perspective, in my opinion. I'm glad it's over - the inconsistency was miserable to deal with - but those good years were a whole lot of fun. Indiana was a hot topic in college basketball again during Crean's tenure. Now it's on Archie to bring consistent success - a much harder task than simply bringing us back to relevance for periods of time like Crean did.

3 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Crean was here three seasons longer than Davis, who at least had the self awareness to resign when he realized the situation was untenable. Crean was defiant up until the day he was fired.

If Crean had left in 2014, I don’t imagine we would dislike him as much.

I'm not a "Crean guy", but I've also never understood this mentality that Crean somehow should have resigned on his own. How many people in your profession walk into the boss' office and resign because they think the job is too hard for them? I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen. 

You're not the only person I've seen post that sentiment. But, I can't imagine a scenario where someone willingly quits, when they're not going to be fired if they don't, because someone else thinks they're not doing a good job or can't do the job. 

Mike Davis did resign, but he was going to be fired at the end of the season. He just avoided the inevitable. But, why would you think Crean, or anyone in his position for that matter, would just willingly resign in 2014?

Okay: so what I’m sayin is that we won’t get lazy in two gimme games, we won’t get beat by as many better teams because WE will be a better team, and that the “very weak” B1G, which has a really good shot of putting its fourth place team into the National Championship game, will not be especially improved.
Oh, and what USPS said about our schedule goes for me too.
So stop being such a mothertrucking gloomy bastage.

Love the Johnny Dangerously aspect at the end. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

I'm not being gloomy, just realistic. If we don't add Romeo, what changes from last year? We aren't adding any program changing freshmen and lost our 1st/2nd best player on a team that went 16-15 and not a single good win. It's like last summer all over again. People thinking we would make tourney this year. Just trying to sell to themselves that we will be good.

Also, some on here act like Crean came into their home, kicked down every door and killed their goldfish.

Notre Dame was a good win. 

13 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly on all of the boards at the time Davis was fired I don’t remember all of the hatred. There were few on the Indy Star and Scout for sure. It went away quick. I wonder if it has more to do with us being further away from being consistently good if that makes sense. I also just hope Archie doesn’t **** the bed too. Don’t feel like dealing with this stuff for a while.

I don't know how much more hateful a fanbase can be than to organize a "black-out" to show the black coach how bad you want him to leave. I was at that game.  I could not be any more ashamed of our fans than I was that day.

I don't know how much more hateful a fanbase can be than to organize a "black-out" to show the black coach how bad you want him to leave. I was at that game.  I could not be any more ashamed of our fans than I was that day.

Sounds about like a college professor telling the coaches kid her father was fired from the university she was in. We are a classy fan base.

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Sounds about like a college professor telling the coaches kid her father was fired from the university she was in. We are a classy fan base.

wow.  I did not hear that one.  professors so way up there, and the rest of us so way down here I guess is the logic.

11 hours ago, Iugradman said:

I didn’t say Crean should have resigned, just that he wore out his welcome and tarnished the IU brand even more by staying as long as he did. It is the IU administration’s fault for not dumping him back then.

No he didn't. He tarnished nothing 

23 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Yes he did. He gave us another decade of mediocrity and burned bridges with coaches and people of influence in the state. The IU brand doesn’t stand for success and competence anymore and that is due in large part to Crean.

No. No he tarnished nothing. Talking crap about him at this point shows ignorance.. don't be that guy. You should know better. Burned no bridges as far as our university goes. They weren't interested in Crean, not the university.. and literally the year before we won the big ten.. don't talk about him wearing out his welcome because that's simply not true as well. Why don't you talk about something that actually matters at this point and not whine about the past?

I had never heard this. This fan base is awfully shameful and ignorant all to often.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I had never heard this. This fan base is awfully shameful and ignorant all to often.

A bunch of old women in the university club led that charge too.  Word of mouth.  And it spread.  And caught on.  It was a big hit.  Looked like at least half of the crowd in Assembly Hall was wearing black that day.  No shame.  It was the day Mike Davis called in sick for the Iowa game.  He must have heard about it.  Imagine him explaining that to his wife and children.