Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Season Thoughts Thread

3 minutes ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

Are you being genuine or obtuse? 

I am going to let you struggle through the questions you have on your own.

You refuse to answer anyone's questions about the situation. You refuse to provide any evidence that the blackout was done because of the coach's skin color. It's like you want everyone to believe your story without providing any evidence to back it up. 

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Sometimes I have to laugh at my own stupidity and naivete, and maybe this is one of those times, but I could have sworn people were wearing black shirts to that game because it was against Iowa and black is one of their colors.

If that is all there was to that, and nobody got a "chuckle" at the expense of Mike Davis' blackness in the process, then it would still have been in poor taste to initiate a black-out.  But I think we both know that is not the case.

1 hour ago, Joe DeLow said:

You're grabbing for straw in the ocean homie. You're guessing there 10k racist in a building of 17k. That's just not right. 

No.  I am saying that everybody who wore a black shirt that day should have considered the possibility of racial undertones and not gone along with the black-out at the very least. 

There is no rule that says we all have to follow the crowd when it meanders into questionable territory, even when the crowd is led there by people we look up to in the university club.

Is it me, or does the concept of a “blackout” used to express displeasure by wearing black shirts not really exist in any other circumstance that I’ve ever heard of?

And while I wasn’t there and have no idea as to the extent of the situation, to get the inference that a “blackout” to send a message that some wanted the black coach out is not a stretch.

If I was Mike Davis, who by all accounts is a really good guy, and I saw something like that, I’d be saddened.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

12 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You refuse to answer anyone's questions about the situation. You refuse to provide any evidence that the blackout was done because of the coach's skin color. It's like you want everyone to believe your story without providing any evidence to back it up. 

I am not conducting an investigation.  Nobody is going to admit to race being a part of their decision to take part in a black-out except to people they feel comfortable making sideways comments to.  You and I both know that is how that works.  We have both heard many racist remarks in our lives, enough to at least consider whether a black-out statement is the right movement to get behind if you want to tell the world you want the basketball program's first black coach removed immediately.

I am not conducting an investigation.  Nobody is going to admit to race being a part of their decision to take part in a black-out except to people they feel comfortable making sideways comments to.  You and I both know that is how that works.  We have both heard many racist remarks in our lives, enough to at least consider whether a black-out statement is the right movement to get behind if you want to tell the world you want the basketball program's first black coach removed immediately.

Just like nobody is going to admit that they try to use race as an excuse in every little thing. You and I both know that’s also how it works in a lot of cases.

You’re right we’ve all heard racist statements in our life, as a white guy in a predominantly black/hispanic area I hear racist statements towards myself all the time so I won’t argue that it doesn’t happen(including my ex gfs family who hated that she was dating a white guy). There are racists in every race, and I’ll never support anyone of any race who is racist or those who use it as an excuse.

I truly think you’re grasping at straws here and making something out of nothing, but that is your right to say/think whatever you want. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

14 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

Just like nobody is going to admit that they try to use race as an excuse in every little thing. You and I both know that’s also how it works in a lot of cases.

You’re right we’ve all heard racist statements in our life, as a white guy in a predominantly black/hispanic area I hear racist statements towards myself all the time so I won’t argue that it doesn’t happen(including my ex gfs family who hated that she was dating a white guy). There are racists in every race, and I’ll never support anyone of any race who is racist or those who use it as an excuse.

I truly think you’re grasping at straws here and making something out of nothing, but that is your right to say/think whatever you want. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Yeah I've noticed more than one person in the thread does not see anything even at all questionable about the Mike Davis  black-out that day.  10,000 Indiana Hoosier fans may even agree with you.  That is how many Hoosier fans took part in the black-out.

I have the right to be saddened and sickened by that, and to share my experience here in this forum.  I feel very strongly it is my duty to share that experience.

I am confident that even young children could be capable of making the connection between the first black-out at IU and the significance of the fact it was directed at the first black basketball coach at Indiana University, yet you have full grown adults in this forum claiming to be incapable of grasping that concept.

If you don’t think that a “blackout” at a school that I’ve only seen do white outs or red a white nights during the tenure of our only black coach in history isn’t rooted in some kind of racist joke or gesture, I’ve got some magic orange powder to sell ya! Found a bunch of it under AH after Crean left. Supposedly makes you smarter!

We could dig into the history of the state nicknamed “the south’s middle finger to the north” and why it’s easy to fathom a large portion of the fan base doing something like Chicago explained back in the early 2000’s before this second wave of the equality movement, but you can all easily research that yourselves.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

If you don’t think that a “blackout” at a school that I’ve only seen do white outs or red a white nights during the tenure of our only black coach in history isn’t rooted in some kind of racist joke or gesture, I’ve got some magic orange powder to sell ya! Found a bunch of it under AH after Crean left. Supposedly makes you smarter!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

I think that we should have had a “tan-out” for Crean!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Is it me, or does the concept of a “blackout” used to express displeasure by wearing black shirts not really exist in any other circumstance that I’ve ever heard of?
And while I wasn’t there and have no idea as to the extent of the situation, to get the inference that a “blackout” to send a message that some wanted the black coach out is not a stretch.
If I was Mike Davis, who by all accounts is a really good guy, and I saw something like that, I’d be saddened.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This was my first thought? I haven't really followed whether teams do a "color out" when trying to get rid of a coach.

I get frustrated with racism. Grrr

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app