Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Season Thoughts Thread

13 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Like most I believe we have the right coach. This current roster is what really got Crean fired. Even during the 2016 B1G Championship season I thought the program was going to drop off significantly in the next few years . The recruiting just was not there (Grant Gelon enough said). Robert Johnson never lived up to his top 50 rankings. This program needed him to be an effective scorer his junior and senior year and he was not. Freddie McSwain and Zach McRoberts got way too many minutes and are not D1 starters. Josh Newkirk rivals Jeremiah Rivers as the worst transfer in IU history. Collin Hartman just couldn't stay healthy. I do believe that Juwan Morgan will be back next season and could be a 1st Team All-Big player. I think Justin Smith could possibly be our 6th man and have an impact like Will Sheehey. I have to think Phinisee and Hunter start as freshmen since they are Archie's guys. Damezi should get good minutes. Thompson/Forrester/and maybe Moore should have an impact next year. 

The biggest question heading into this offseason IMO:

1) Romeo's decision- if he commits IU will be a B1G contender and a possible top 10/15 team. I think he could average 20 points a game next year. If not I think we will be better than this year but not by much. 

2) De'ron's health- If he can stay healthy, he can really be a force. Must improve defensively and stay out of foul trouble. 

3) Who leaves- Juwan could very well go pro and nobody could blame him. Devonte Green could possibly transfer and maybe Clifton Moore. I think Al stays. 

4) Grad Transfers- Sanford (Toledo) has been rumored to IU. The Vincennes player as well. I would have to think that if De'ron's health is an issue that we pick up a center as well. 

My expectations for this team was too high. I felt we could be a middle of the road B1G team with some quality wins and could be a 8/9 seed in the NCAA's. Yes this team improved as the year when on but you cannot lose to Indiana State, IPFW, and Rutgers. It just cannot happen. I am excited for next year and fully believe Archie is going to do everything he can this offseason to make us even better next year. 

I really like your insight better than most and I think you pose some very realistic/needed offseason questions, but I want to point out something that i do disagree with (not that you're wrong, Hoosierfan...

I LOVED the minutes that Zach McRoberts gave us this season.  Yes, he is not an offensive D1 player, but his intangibles and effort was something that I thought was lacking not only consistently, but by our so-called leaders most nights.  While I don't want 5 guys like McRoberts on the team, I believe we need to have more guys with that intensity on the court going forward.

I can't see Morgan going pro.  IF HES WISE, he will see what has happened to guys that leave early from IU and how little impact they have on the league, if any (see JBJ, TB, Vonleh, etc.).  He could definitely benefit working on his game at the collegiate level as an undersized 4.  I also haven't seen him in ANY mock drafts.  Maybe wishful thinking, but I think there's no question he stays.

I think your spot on regarding RoJo and Newkirk (as most would agree, I think) and I HOPE that as Archie gets his guys in (Phinisee, Hunter and Damezi, for instance) we will see marketly better minutes by freshman, although Smith and Durham did provide an unexpected boost in my opinion.  I only wish he would've utilized Moore more (get it?).  I don't see the benefit of having a 6' 11" dude sitting the bench when you lack that much size to nearly every opponent.

Let's go Hoosiers.  Bleed Crimson and Cream always.  For the Glory....

I really like your insight better than most and I think you pose some very realistic/needed offseason questions, but I want to point out something that i do disagree with (not that you're wrong, Hoosierfan...
I LOVED the minutes that Zach McRoberts gave us this season.  Yes, he is not an offensive D1 player, but his intangibles and effort was something that I thought was lacking not only consistently, but by our so-called leaders most nights.  While I don't want 5 guys like McRoberts on the team, I believe we need to have more guys with that intensity on the court going forward.
I can't see Morgan going pro.  IF HES WISE, he will see what has happened to guys that leave early from IU and how little impact they have on the league, if any (see JBJ, TB, Vonleh, etc.).  He could definitely benefit working on his game at the collegiate level as an undersized 4.  I also haven't seen him in ANY mock drafts.  Maybe wishful thinking, but I think there's no question he stays.
I think your spot on regarding RoJo and Newkirk (as most would agree, I think) and I HOPE that as Archie gets his guys in (Phinisee, Hunter and Damezi, for instance) we will see marketly better minutes by freshman, although Smith and Durham did provide an unexpected boost in my opinion.  I only wish he would've utilized Moore more (get it?).  I don't see the benefit of having a 6' 11" dude sitting the bench when you lack that much size to nearly every opponent.
Let's go Hoosiers.  Bleed Crimson and Cream always.  For the Glory.
Morgan shouldn't go pro but lots of guys should not and still do. That's the issue he could very well go. That would clearly hurt our ncaa chances next year badly.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Morgan shouldn't go pro but lots of guys should not and still do. That's the issue he could very well go. That would clearly hurt our ncaa chances next year badly.

True he could, and he might as well "test the waters" I wouldn't blame him for that at all with how the rules work.  But he will be back.  "Hoosier Guy" it, in my book.  Our core of Morgan, Davis, Green, Smith, Durham, McRoberts (in no particular order) will be intact.

I am just glad that the season is over.  This team was more brutal to watch than Crean's first team.  There were times during the year that I couldn't watch the whole games.  I am not sure if this team lacked heart or if CAM could not properly motivate them (not saying that this was the issue, but if so, could be a problem).

I was pleased with the improved emphasis on defense and some other aspects of CAM's coaching philosophy (others that I was not pleased with...see FT shooting...you have got to know that FT win games, plain and simple).  However, what does concern me is all of the talk about CAM just needing better players or his kind of players.  This was a common theme when talking about Crean.  A good coach has got to be able to work with what he has and make them a cohesive unit and perform above their talent level (I am not totally unreasonable and realize that Crean left the cupboard pretty bare).  Not sure that we really got that the entire year.

CAM was not my first choice, and after this season, I am not sure that he is the right man for the job, but he is the man in charge and I am willing to give him a chance since he is leading those young men that represent my alma mater.  

Looking forward to future seasons with hope.

11 hours ago, JHoosier914 said:

Let's go Hoosiers.  Bleed Crimson and Cream always.  For the Glory....

Definitely a great point about McRoberts. The fact Clifton Moore didn't play this year I think is really telling. I don't think he will be back but I hope he sticks around. Seemed like he had a lot of potential. 

I just remember complaining the last few years of the knight era that we always got beat in the first or second round of the NCAA tourney...realized how unappreciative I was that at least we were in the big dance.
Same with me. Now we cant even get in.

Definitely a great point about McRoberts. The fact Clifton Moore didn't play this year I think is really telling. I don't think he will be back but I hope he sticks around. Seemed like he had a lot of potential. 
Moore will not be back. Bank it

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Moore will not be back. Bank it

I agree, and he played pretty well against Northwestern!  Just never saw him again after that.  Not sure why?

18 hours ago, colonel06 said:

I don’t know but why can’t the Hoosiers play like the Nittany Lions?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Because we don’t have a guard even remotely close to as good as Carr is, and we don’t have a wing that can get baskets like Lamar Stevens can. If you put Carr and Stevens on IU Carr would be our best player and Stevens a close 3rd to Morgan.

Because we don’t have a guard even remotely close to as good as Carr is, and we don’t have a wing that can get baskets like Lamar Stevens can. If you put Carr and Stevens on IU Carr would be our best player and Stevens a close 3rd to Morgan.

Yes. And we'd be a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This. IMO many fans( of all teams) seem to think if a program is historically mediocre or bad, that they can't occasionally have good teams that can win on any given night . Penn State has a good team this yr.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 3/3/2018 at 12:10 PM, HoosierFan1994 said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember that CAM wanted to red-shirt Moore, but the only way he would agree to keep his commitment was if he didn't.

I like McRoberts a lot. He's a great, dependable guy to bring in off the bench to rest other guys and maybe provide a spark. To me though, if he is still starting by the time the B1G season starts next year, we are really not that great. Either that or he has really improved offensively.

Before the season started, I thought this team would finish with 18-19 wins. They only ended up with 16, but lost DeRon to injury and CuJo to a transfer mid-season. The team definitely improved from the first game to the last. It wasn't always a steady upward trajectory, but it very rarely is. 

Juwan was brilliant this year. He seemed to really thrive in Archie's system. I definitely expect him to test the waters. He's not an NBA player, but if he wants to declare, that's perfectly fine. Sometimes players just want to get paid and it doesn't matter where they go. I expect him to return, but won't knock him if he doesn't. 

I'll be sad to see RoJo go. He had his ups and downs, but he ended up with some really nice career numbers. He's well spoken and exactly what you should want a Hoosier to be. 

Smith and Green have a ton of potential and I expect to see them both make a jump next season. Durham showed a few flashes and I think he'll be a solid player by his junior year. 

Assuming the roster stays pretty similar to what it is now, I expect around 20-22 wins next year. There won't be the losses to teams like ISU or IPFW and I expect the team will be able to snag a few of the close ones against the top tier teams. Another off-season with Archie will help the continuity. Getting some of his own recruits in. I think next year's team could be a really fun one to watch.