Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Trish

Post Season Thoughts Thread

It was another season of reality defying expectations.  Going in we hoped/expected to see leadership and some consistency from the seniors - that really didn't pan out.

Davis was going to be our main guy, but wasn't very impressive prior to the injury and then was lost for much of the season.

Juwan Morgan stepped up and did things we weren't anticipating.  Sadly, often with little help.

Depending on who you were, the freshmen started the season  unspectacularly, but Smith and Durham showed some sparks of talent over the last month of the season.

I think Archie and staff put the early emphasis on team defense and it took a while to develop.  By the end of the season it was markedly improved, but still far from what they strive for.  The offense seemed to become more disciplined (low bar) through the season, but didn't show it consistently.

Over all, I have no doubt the staff couldn't really get an accurate lay of the land with the roster until they'd seen them in action.  They did what they could, IMO pretty good job of coaching.  Our talent deficit just made fielding a good offense all but impossible.  That said, Archie should have a full grip on what he has coming back, what needs to be done, and should be settled in.  Now it's time to start getting it done.

Like most I believe we have the right coach. This current roster is what really got Crean fired. Even during the 2016 B1G Championship season I thought the program was going to drop off significantly in the next few years . The recruiting just was not there (Grant Gelon enough said). Robert Johnson never lived up to his top 50 rankings. This program needed him to be an effective scorer his junior and senior year and he was not. Freddie McSwain and Zach McRoberts got way too many minutes and are not D1 starters. Josh Newkirk rivals Jeremiah Rivers as the worst transfer in IU history. Collin Hartman just couldn't stay healthy. I do believe that Juwan Morgan will be back next season and could be a 1st Team All-Big player. I think Justin Smith could possibly be our 6th man and have an impact like Will Sheehey. I have to think Phinisee and Hunter start as freshmen since they are Archie's guys. Damezi should get good minutes. Thompson/Forrester/and maybe Moore should have an impact next year. 

The biggest question heading into this offseason IMO:

1) Romeo's decision- if he commits IU will be a B1G contender and a possible top 10/15 team. I think he could average 20 points a game next year. If not I think we will be better than this year but not by much. 

2) De'ron's health- If he can stay healthy, he can really be a force. Must improve defensively and stay out of foul trouble. 

3) Who leaves- Juwan could very well go pro and nobody could blame him. Devonte Green could possibly transfer and maybe Clifton Moore. I think Al stays. 

4) Grad Transfers- Sanford (Toledo) has been rumored to IU. The Vincennes player as well. I would have to think that if De'ron's health is an issue that we pick up a center as well. 

My expectations for this team was too high. I felt we could be a middle of the road B1G team with some quality wins and could be a 8/9 seed in the NCAA's. Yes this team improved as the year when on but you cannot lose to Indiana State, IPFW, and Rutgers. It just cannot happen. I am excited for next year and fully believe Archie is going to do everything he can this offseason to make us even better next year. 

We have such a long way to go, and it'll be nice to get some new blood in here next year.  I feel like our culture has changed a little bit from the previous coaching staff, but we've still got a long way to go.

I worry about what will happen with De'Ron Davis.   His interview he gave a month ago made it seems like he doesn't even like basketball very much anymore.  He probably can't work out much due to his injury, so he likely has put on some bad weight over the last few months.  He'll have to go through that weight loss all over again just like last year.  He really needs to be around 230 lbs to be more effective as a big in Archie's system since he's slow and not very athletic.

45 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

I like what I saw out of the system, just not the pieces that were running it. We had no (consistent) shooters, no depth, no PG, and after Davis got hurt no size. These things will be remedied in the near future.

This pretty much sums it up for me in as little words as possible.

Encouraged by the guys Archie has coming in and their ability to run his system moving forward, as well as the guys coming back. Specifically I’m looking forward to the developments of Smith, Morgan, and Durham.

16 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I thought (hoped?) Archie could squeeze more out of these guys. Still have confidence Archie WILL get it done. Have a dull ache in the pit of my stomach watching Holtmann at OSU I must admit....

I agree that I thought we would be better, but I really had no idea our seniors were going to be as undependable as they were. We saw it some last year with these guys, but this year there was even less talent to make up for it.

I'm disappointed, but I haven't seen much from CAM that leaves me discouraged.

If we want to be in the tourney next year we absolutely need a grad transfer, preferably a big but also potentially a SG if we miss out on Romeo. Otherwise, I think it will be a more entertaining year with the freshman/Smith/Race getting lots of action but still plenty of growing pains. 

Time to get to work. We won’t come back in November behind the 8 ball. Our shooting should improve if players go into the gym regularly. I anticipate two more additions and attrition from the current team. Time to get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I realize not every scholarship player is gonna make significant contributions, but I'm curious as to what B1G basketball programs get out of their 12th and 13th scholly players? Priller played 71 minutes in four seasons -- I think that's something like about 30 seconds a game. This season, he played four minutes total. No offense to him -- because he seems like a good kid -- but he obviously wasn't a B1G-caliber player. And that just seems like a blown four years. Not for him -- he seemed happy to be at IU and ride the bench, but for the team -- because he contributed almost nothing (at least tangibly). I just hope Archie realizes how precious scholarships are, and if he doesn't have a good recruit available, he holds onto it. Or looks at a grad transfer -- a one-year commitment. Crean didn't make the wisest choices with his scholarships. I have to believe Archie will do much better. 

13 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Time to get to work. We won’t come back in November behind the 8 ball. Our shooting should improve if players go into the gym regularly. I anticipate two more additions and attrition from the current team. Time to get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

One important thing to remember (in regard to not being behind 8 ball) is that when Miller came in, nobody knew his culture, his systems, etc.  Moving forward, the majority have that ingrained already, and the new guys have the upperclassmen to help, which was not available last year.  Not sad about this season, not overjoyed, it was just the opening of the puzzle box, and the frame being completed.  Offseason will be putting the rest of the pieces together. 

I have no postseason thoughts because Indiana has no postseason future this year. We've now miss the NCAA tournament 8 out of the last 15 years. Just sad how far our program has fell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep another depression season and one where we cannot even make the NIT. Will iu ever be elite again? I seriously doubt it but good lord we should be able to make the tourney 80% of the time. I fear next year wont be a whole lot better without Romeo. Expecting a freshman point guard to come in and lead this team from day one is unrealistic imo. I think people expectations for RP are way to high.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Mixed emotions - hate to not watch the Hoosiers but kindnof glad to just be done with this current team. They are an absolute roller coster. I'm glad everyone stuck around to give it a run and they did. The Notre Dame game could be one of my favorite IU games of the last 10 years. Plenty of good memories and a lot of just baffling trips down the floor. Thanks seniors. Thank you for also heading on to greener pastures for the program's sake. Just a incredibly poor senior class just left which is a good thing (and I say that with Rojo being my favorite player).

Really looking forward to boat season now and not thinking about IU bball for several months.. if that's possible.

Justin Smith, ur my new fav player. Go hit the weights and break Freddie's squat record.

Green - I dunno. I'm just not sure if his upside is worth it. If he stays great, if he goes.. fine. I wonder what his +/- is. Seems like he is a net neutral player since he makes so many lazy one handed bounce passes.. if Romeo doesn't come, I think Green can see he may be a major scorer for us.. which is exactly what he wants. The problem is, if he hasn't reeled in that play by the END of his sophomore season, I don't see him getting much better mentally. He's just a hot dog.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

Mixed emotions - hate to not watch the Hoosiers but kindnof glad to just be done with this current team. They are an absolute roller coster. I'm glad everyone stuck around to give it a run and they did. The Notre Dame game could be one of my favorite IU games of the last 10 years. Plenty of good memories and a lot of just baffling trips down the floor. Thanks seniors. Thank you for also heading on to greener pastures for the program's sake. Just a incredibly poor senior class just left which is a good thing (and I say that with Rojo being my favorite player).

Really looking forward to boat season now and not thinking about IU bball for several months.. if that's possible.

Justin Smith, ur my new fav player. Go hit the weights and break Freddie's squat record.

Green - I dunno. I'm just not sure if his upside is worth it. If he stays great, if he goes.. fine. I wonder what his +/- is. Seems like he is a net neutral player since he makes so many lazy one handed bounce passes.. if Romeo doesn't come, I think Green can see he may be a major scorer for us.. which is exactly what he wants. The problem is, if he hasn't reeled in that play by the END of his sophomore season, I don't see him getting much better mentally. He's just a hot dog.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

I really hope Green transfers. I have never been high on him even when he had is good games. I'm not a fan of the his street ball style of play.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk