Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IU vs Rutgers game thread

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

I don’t dispute what you are saying, rather I am just puzzled by the seeming disconnect the university has between winning and brand. Winning enhances brand and finances. People have quit coming to IU basketball games. That hurts our brand, recruiting, and finances. It is a vicious cycle we are in.

I agree with you, which is why it's so frustrating.  McRobbie being who he is doesn't understand or care about the value of having a successful athletics program.  All you need to do is talk to the guy.  He's interested in research grants, publicity for the SCHOOL (his version of the brand, not the athletic version), and bringing in east coast and international students.  Gone are the days of John Ryan, I'm sorry to say.

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I agree with you, which is why it's so frustrating.  McRobbie being who he is doesn't understand or care about the value of having a successful athletics program.  All you need to do is talk to the guy.  He's interested in research grants, publicity for the SCHOOL (his version of the brand, not the athletic version), and bringing in east coast and international students.  Gone are the days of John Ryan, I'm sorry to say.

This won't be popular, but we are a university with a basketball team, not a basketball team with a university. Coach Knight became bigger than the university to some people and the publicity he generated was not always positive. I tend to agree with McRobbie on the direction of IU minus the emphasis on out of state students, although I understand the economics. Fred Glass is doing just fine with mission he was given. As much as some would like to return the "glory days", I just don't see that in the philosophical cards.

That just drops my jaw. Obviously Pitino ended up being a scumbag but maybe he never resorts to such desperate tactics to get recruits if he is at IU. He would have killed it here.
No wonder our program is the way it is. They have no interest in being elite. I guess we will always have dusty banners from 35 years ago.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

No wonder our program is the way it is. They have no interest in being elite. I guess we will always have dusty banners from 35 years ago.

We turned Calipari down too.  Our AD loves losing. 

That just drops my jaw. Obviously Pitino ended up being a scumbag but maybe he never resorts to such desperate tactics to get recruits if he is at IU. He would have killed it here.

Lmao, yeah Pitino comes to IU he doesn’t get hookers and pay players. If you believe that I got some swampland next to Nips to sell you. You do realize he was doing this at UK, then goes to the NBA, and the does it at UL right? I can’t speak to Providence but he had sanctions at Hawaii. It isn’t like this is a new thing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No, I think he was desperate. He didn’t have to cheat at Kentucky. It is much harder to recruit to Louisville.

Much harder to recruit Louisville? He has become desperate at every location he has been. You don’t think he would become desperate here with the pressure of this job? Tell me you don’t believe that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

So we turned down top named coaches to hire a snake oil salesman who was living off a miracle final four. Unreal.

Did I miss something in this thread? ... Whom did we turn down to hire Crean? ... One thing I seem to recall reading was that we had offered the job to Mark Few. He accepted, but when the AD (must've been Greenspan) called back to finalize the deal and talk money, Few had changed his mind. Perhaps I imagined that -- not sure. I think that was when we hired Sampson.  

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Did I miss something in this thread? ... Whom did we turn down to hire Crean? ... One thing I seem to recall reading was that we had offered the job to Mark Few. He accepted, but when the AD (must've been Greenspan) called back to finalize the deal and talk money, Few had changed his mind. Perhaps I imagined that -- not sure. I think that was when we hired Sampson.  

Beilein I believe could have been ours. 

4 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Check your PM's

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Beilein I believe could have been ours. 

Depending on who you believe, either he or Kevin Stallings had a deal done when Adam Herbert made Greenspan hire Kelvin Sampson because he was a minority.   That's a long, convoluted story, but I have heard it from too many people who would know.