Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IU vs Rutgers game thread

I gave up hope last season about the time the Big Ten season kicked off. This season was a delight compared to last, for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
This season stunk
Just not quite as bad as last year. IU basketball stinks right now and it's depressing.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I really want to believe in Archie Miller.   I really, truly do.  
1)  With the offense I saw last night, I find it challenging to put 100% faith in him.  We moved like Crean's offense, and sometimes worse.  The high hand off accomplishes nothing; and starting our best driver/rim attacker on the block against 7' guys was idiotic.
2)  How many times do we let their post guys catch the ball and score over us?   No fronting; just let them do what they want and hope they miss.   Last night, they didn't, and we never adjusted.
3)  McRoberts is a complete offensive liability and played way too many minutes last night because he was crap on defense, too.  28 minutes, 1 shot. only 2 rebounds, and 1 assist.   That's just awful, and I don't care what he does from other perspectives; you cannot play a guy 70% of the minutes if he's not going to produce at all.    That Justin Smith played just 15 minutes is comical to me.
4)  Why is a guy who's shot is clearly off (Johnson) getting 16 shots and allowed to shoot 4-16?   Why??  Morgan only got 9 shots and made 5 of them, playing the same number of minutes as McRobers; and finishing with just 2 fouls.   
Good Lord, we make 25-29 FT's, and score just 69 points.  19 FG's for the game.  With an offense that didn't move.   Archie, I wanna' believe.  I really do.  But damn.   That was an embarrassing loss.
We won't know on Archie for several years but I am not 100% convinced on him as a lot of people are already. Just because he made an elite 8 does not mean he is the guy. Crean made a final 4 and he stunk. Time will tell but this team needs to take a massive step forward next year.

Crean v Archie? Wow. Instant gratification is a ***** apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Yeah I know wanting success after 25 years of crap is unrealistic. What am I thinking.

I really want to believe in Archie Miller.   I really, truly do.  
1)  With the offense I saw last night, I find it challenging to put 100% faith in him.  We moved like Crean's offense, and sometimes worse.  The high hand off accomplishes nothing; and starting our best driver/rim attacker on the block against 7' guys was idiotic.
2)  How many times do we let their post guys catch the ball and score over us?   No fronting; just let them do what they want and hope they miss.   Last night, they didn't, and we never adjusted.
3)  McRoberts is a complete offensive liability and played way too many minutes last night because he was crap on defense, too.  28 minutes, 1 shot. only 2 rebounds, and 1 assist.   That's just awful, and I don't care what he does from other perspectives; you cannot play a guy 70% of the minutes if he's not going to produce at all.    That Justin Smith played just 15 minutes is comical to me.
4)  Why is a guy who's shot is clearly off (Johnson) getting 16 shots and allowed to shoot 4-16?   Why??  Morgan only got 9 shots and made 5 of them, playing the same number of minutes as McRobers; and finishing with just 2 fouls.   
Good Lord, we make 25-29 FT's, and score just 69 points.  19 FG's for the game.  With an offense that didn't move.   Archie, I wanna' believe.  I really do.  But damn.   That was an embarrassing loss.

They lolligagged playing defense. They lolligagged up and down the floor. They lolligagged with their passes. You know what that makes them?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, I am torn on Archie. The jury is out. The program can’t afford another bust of a head coach. Not letting Crean go earlier was bad enough. It may already be too late.
Not firing crean two years earlier should of been terms for immediate firing of glass. He set the program back even further and it may never recover. Maybe Archie can dig us out but if not it's safe to say iu will never be anything close to a national player again.

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Not firing crean two years earlier should of been terms for immediate firing of glass. He set the program back even further and it may never recover. Maybe Archie can dig us out but if not it's safe to say iu will never be anything close to a national player again.

The people who would fire him don't agree with you relative to the criteria for firing him; and many are just fine with the BTT being in NYC.   He (Glass) is not being held accountable for winning.  He is being held accountable for finances.  Never forget that.  He is doing his job very well according to his given job description.

34 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

The people who would fire him don't agree with you relative to the criteria for firing him; and many are just fine with the BTT being in NYC.   He (Glass) is not being held accountable for winning.  He is being held accountable for finances.  Never forget that.  He is doing his job very well according to his given job description.

I would counter that if his job is finances then why is he in charge of hiring and firing. 

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Yeah, I am torn on Archie. The jury is out. The program can’t afford another bust of a head coach. Not letting Crean go earlier was bad enough. It may already be too late.

We have to stick with Archie at least 4 years.  Give it time.  We need to see improvement each year though.  If not I'll be his biggest critic but as of now I think he's doing fine.  This season had Tom Crean written all over it.  Blame him not Archie.

Huh? I thought the athletic director made decisions on hiring and firing also? Why was he allowed to fire crean then.

We have to stick with Archie at least 4 years.  Give it time.  We need to see improvement each year though.  If not I'll be his biggest critic but as of now I think he's doing fine.  This season had Tom Crean written all over it.  Blame him not Archie.
Nobody is saying he should not get four years. But people have the right to not be sold on him yet.

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Huh? I thought the athletic director made decisions on hiring and firing also? Why was he allowed to fire crean then.

He (Glass) does not make them unilaterally.  I don't think most AD's do; but especially not on the head coach for Indiana Men's Basketball.  Everyone from Michael McRobbie to Cindy Simon Skjodt have a voice down there; and Glass' job is to run a clean department and operate in the black.  His administration cares more about image and profitability than winning.   He is not at all solely responsible for hiring and firing, nor is he solely responsible for the criteria used for doing so.   

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

How can an Athletics Director not be evaluated based on the wins and losses of the programs they oversee? That is insane. If we won our finances would improve.

Btown thinks our football program did great the past 4 years even though they went 25-29.  Wins and losses don't matter to a large portion of our fan base.  They will continue to lick Fred's boot.

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

How can an Athletics Director not be evaluated based on the wins and losses of the programs they oversee? That is insane. If we won our finances would improve.

If he were, how do you explain him still having his job?   He runs an entire department; not just men's basketball; and with IU Sports Properties; Indiana is awash in cash.   His job is to maintain the brand; not "win in men's basketball."  Listen, nobody has to like this or believe I know what I'm talking about; I'm just telling you how it is.  The trustees of Indiana University and president of the University are not as concerned with winning as they are image and "the school."   There are now "enhanced dorms" on IUB's campus to attract east coast students and the money that comes with them.   NYC and Washington DC are in the top 5 hubs for IU alums.

If it were all about winning in Men's Basketball; Fred Glass would have been gone a long time ago.  It's NOT all about that.

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Our image sucks because we don’t win. We are a joke in the state and conference. And we have had several scandals under Fred’s leadership. 

Image of the school is just fine.   They do not care about the image of Men's Basketball.  Cindy does.  Fred sorta does.  McRobbie does not care one bit.  Not at all.  Not some.  

I happen to know one of Rick Pitino's closest friends who happens to e very close within Indiana University (this will be story with horrible timing, but you'll get the point).  When Mike Davis resigned AND when Kelvin Sampson was fired; Pitino called IU both times and said he wanted the job.   He was told both times that Indiana University did not want another coach who would define the University or be bigger than the program itself.  That's truth.  100%.  So I'm here to tell you winning is not the absolute end all be all for which Fred Glass is held accountable; and the talk of "Fire Glass" is falling on completely deaf ears.