Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IU vs Rutgers game thread

This is a pretty good take. I am not impressed with Al like so many others. Green......Ugh. Not sure he will ever get it. Moore............

I will be happy to see heavy roster turnover if that is what Archie wants.

I like Smith, Morgan, maybe Davis, McBob (only in the right role).

My personal assessment of our returning talent is just so weak.

Phinisee will be great.....some day.
Decent building block class with a weak returning team doesn't translate to the type of success I'd like to see next year.

And that is why I'm bummed out.

While all the other Cheating programs continue to add legit talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think if you flip the last two sentences of your post, you identify the real reason you and so many are frustrated.

4 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

So many low’s over the last few years. My fandom for IU, and really the game in general, has hit rock bottom. Some guy said we have missed the NCAA tournament 8 of the past 15 years. Honestly, it’s perfectly conceivable that we don’t make it next year either. That’s a problem for me. I love the tournament. Lived for it. Here’s the thing though, I don’t give a s*** about anybody but IU. I don’t care about watching how other B1G teams fare, and I damn sure don’t care about picking teams in the office bracket challenge anymore. If we don’t make it, I don’t watch. From guys getting in trouble with alcohol and running over people with cars, to the serious roster flaws of this year, you have wounded me IU. It’s easy to lump everything on the former coach. Don’t. It goes so much deeper. I’m tired. This program is more tired. Wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah, I don't really give a rat's patootie about the rest of the tournament(s) after we've flamed out.  Growing weary of waiting for that big breakthrough.  What makes it doubly depressing is that for me, it's no more sports til football season - almost six months of nothing but speculating and begging for a recruiting "win".

In retrospect, I sure am glad I saw the Bob Knight comments about Archie this morning - particularly the part about patience.

I could honestly see a lot of empty seats in November if we don't get Romeo. We'll always have passionate fans, but I think many people are just getting tired of waiting for this program to return to prominence. Many of my friends from school don't watch anymore, and my brother gave up during the early Crean years and hasn't looked back. People can only tolerate so much failure.

I could honestly see a lot of empty seats in November if we don't get Romeo. We'll always have passionate fans, but I think many people are just getting tired of waiting for this program to return to prominence. Many of my friends from school don't watch anymore, and my brother gave up during the early Crean years and hasn't looked back. People can only tolerate so much failure.
Each year I lose more passion. It just drains it out of you slowly.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I hate the Big Ten.

Hopefully, we get a big IUFB win out of this. Maybe Michigan?!

We started off hot and thought they would fold. They didn't. Morgan picking up his second with about 5 minutes in the half was huge.

Tony Carr was watching that game smiling knowing he'll be able to go for 30 every game in this tourney.

Well with the Big Ten tourney over a week earlier does IU have to hold any practices for the tiny of tiny chances of a post season bid. I would just hope Archie would decline at this point and starting tomorrow builds connections with future recruits. Also start Smith and Race on a off season workout program ASAP. McRoberts and Durham start shooting the ball 250s a day. 

There should be some interesting end of the year meetings with the underclassmen. The next two or three months will tell us a lot about what to expect next year. I really think the right grad transfer could be just what this team needs. I don't, however, expect CAM to go for any quick fixes.

Does anyone else not like the “2 fouls and sit no matter what” approach Archie takes in the first half of games? I’m not trying to pick the coach apart here. He has my full support but, wouldn’t having Juwan for a few more minutes in the 1st tonight have been able to keep Rutgers from blowing us up like that? He finished the game with 2 fouls if I’m not mistaken. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I think he makes that mistake more than he helps save the third foul. If we had a better roster I’d say heck yeah, take him out till the 2nd but, with the deficiencies of this roster, don’t you need to either let it ride, or bring him back in when it gets out of hand? Anyway, it’s over now. Oh well.

Just now, cappymo14 said:

Does anyone else not like the “2 fouls and sit no matter what” approach Archie takes in the first half of games? I’m not trying to pick the coach apart here. He has my full support but, wouldn’t having Juwan for a few more minutes in the 1st tonight have been able to keep Rutgers from blowing us up like that? He finished the game with 2 fouls if I’m not mistaken. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but I think he makes that mistake more than he helps save the third foul. If we had a better roster I’d say heck yeah, take him out till the 2nd but, with the deficiencies of this roster, don’t you need to either let it ride, or bring him back in when it gets out of hand? Anyway, it’s over now. Oh well.

I like it. The key is having decent people to backfill

Well with the Big Ten tourney over a week earlier does IU have to hold any practices for the tiny of tiny chances of a post season bid. I would just hope Archie would decline at this point and starting tomorrow builds connections with future recruits. Also start Smith and Race on a off season workout program ASAP. McRoberts and Durham start shooting the ball 250s a day. 
I would spend all my time trying to upgrade the roster if I'm archie. The season is over.

No, Morgan picked up his second by being in the vicinity of a Rutgers player. He picked up a third with about 13 to play in the second half.

Shocked none of Rutgers bigs had any foul trouble. Morgan needed the ball down low more often. I'm not sure it would have mattered though. Our guards were chucking from deep.

I like it. The key is having decent people to backfill

Yeah definitely, like I said with a better roster that’s 100% the move to make. I just wonder if that robotic “this is what to do in that situation” mentality doesn’t sometimes cost a team without the backfill. Because that’s us. That’s this team. Would you guys adjust?

Sean went 16-15 first year like Archie and taken off since. Don't want the cheating but he's won big since in 8 years with 5 conference championships and 3 elite 8's and 2 additional Sweet 16's.

Remove the improprieties and i'll gladly take Archie matching those results next 8 years. They certainly had identical records and seasons in every way their first years.

We will definitely be better next year and can officially witness an Archie recruited team. Not only do we have guys coming in who can shoot (which that in itself is a major plus and repair what needed fixed this season), but we have a group of players who committed to playing for Archie who right off the bat will fit his style and buy into what he wants to do. I appreciate what our seniors and whoever else who may decide to transfer for what they’ve done at IU, but knowing next year’s team is going to pretty much get a complete reboot and fresh new faces is an exciting thing and I can’t wait. 

8 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Yeah definitely, like I said with a better roster that’s 100% the move to make. I just wonder if that robotic “this is what to do in that situation” mentality doesn’t sometimes cost a team without the backfill. Because that’s us. That’s this team. Would you guys adjust?

Nope important to be consistent to build the correct culture

Sean went 16-15 first year like Archie and taken off since. Don't want the cheating but he's won big since in 8 years with 5 conference championships and 3 elite 8's and 2 additional Sweet 16's.
Remove the improprieties and i'll gladly take Archie matching those results next 8 years. They certainly had identical records and seasons in every way their first years.
But if your cheating to get those players we won't get those same results being clean. Those are unfair expectations to expect from a clean coach. We won't have the same level of talent.