Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Milldawg12

Sean Miller caught on phone

On 2/25/2018 at 6:20 AM, LamarCheeks said:

Statement from Sean Miller: "I believe it is in the best interest of our team that I not coach the game tonight. I continue to fully support the University's efforts to fully investigate this matter and am confident that I will be vindicated. For now, my thoughts are with our team. They are a great group of young men that will support each other and continue their pursuit of winning a Pac-12 championship."

How on Earth is he gonna be vindicated? ... It'll never happen in my lifetime, but just for once (OK, more than once), I'd love to hear someone say: "Yep, I did it. I got busted." 

lol...college coaches r the worst liars there is...they will never admit any wrong doing...just continue to lie as usual !!

4 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Unless you give the money to every sport on campus you'll have aclu and feminist lawyers suing the schools in a second for discrimination. Let's say you pay men's bball players 3 grand each. Each and ever women's softball player will want the same thing.
Legally it would be a nightmare or your be paying a lot of money to all athletes.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Make football and basketball (revenue sports) players employees of the university. Give the salaries and benefits. That would take away a ton of scholarships from a title IX point of view but it’s a way to get around it legally. 

If they paid every athlete a percentage of net revenue from the sport they played, that would likely avoid the zero revenue sport issue. Problem is it would create an even more uneven playing field at  elite universities vs the others. Maybe a percent with a capped maximum would work.

Edited by iu eyedoc

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Make football and basketball (revenue sports) players employees of the university. Give the salaries and benefits. That would take away a ton of scholarships from a title IX point of view but it’s a way to get around it legally. 

Do scholarship players currently have full insurance coverage?  I know they receive treatment for sports related injuries but are they covered by the University for Dr visits (flu, nonrelated sports inuries, appendicitis, etc)?  Copays, deductibles (or $0 ded as well). Honest question as I'm uncertain. 

But that leads into the next aspect of if athletes are an employee of the University each University will have to add a component to their HR structure. Are they pension eligible?  Can they (or will they) Unionize?  Is there a variable pay program setup?  Bonuses?  401k?  Becoming and employee is a deep deep rabbit hole that involves more than monetary (salary) remuneration.  

10 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Do scholarship players currently have full insurance coverage?  I know they receive treatment for sports related injuries but are they covered by the University for Dr visits (flu, nonrelated sports inuries, appendicitis, etc)?  Copays, deductibles (or $0 ded as well). Honest question as I'm uncertain. 

But that leads into the next aspect of if athletes are an employee of the University each University will have to add a component to their HR structure. Are they pension eligible?  Can they (or will they) Unionize?  Is there a variable pay program setup?  Bonuses?  401k?  Becoming and employee is a deep deep rabbit hole that involves more than monetary (salary) remuneration.  

Yep. But they make the university enough to cover a salary and benefits. At least at the major P5 universities. 

Basically the only way I can see paying players/making them employees working is to create 4 super conferences and have them separate from the other divisions. Then you get into antitrust lawsuits from other schools.  It really is a mess. 

The easiest way to fix the issue is give a path for entry to the pro’s out of high school. NBA/NFL bans all agents if they are found to have even contacted a high school or college player/family/representative prior to them declaring to go pro. Any coaches caught being dirty has a lifetime ban from college and pro basketball world wide. Get FIBA involved in the ban as well. FIFA does this in soccer already. 

can't stand Walton...he rambles on about everything in the world that no one gives a crap about instead of the game.

Despite his rambling and his scrambled/baked brain, I find him quite entertaining. His interview on Dakich’s show several years ago was epic.

There would definitely be some equity issues to work out if players were paid, but it wouldn’t necessarily be a Title IX issue for revenue sport athletes to make more than non-revenue sport athletes.

Coaching salaries are subject to TIX and that doesn’t prevent football and men’s basketball coaches from making much more than their coaching colleagues.

I don’t handle athletics compliance, but I’m a Title IX administrator (not at IU) and, of course, have colleagues in athletics who make sure we’re compliant.

8 hours ago, JimBobJimmyBob said:

OK, you sell a ton of #11 IU basketball jerseys.  Who gets a percentage?  Devonte Green?  Dane Fife?  Dan Dakich?  Isaiah Thomas?  Todd Jadlow?  Yogi Ferrell?  Errek Suhr?  The 17 other guys who have worn #11 for IU basketball?

Well, the context is "paying the student-athlete" so I would assume it's the actual student-athlete you're currently watching on the court.  All those other guys you mentioned are now professionals in their respected fields.  Of course that's all up for debate though.  I was thinking more of a percentage as a whole, meaning the entire basketball team will get a cut.  But that would all depend on how the rules are established.

7 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Unless you give the money to every sport on campus you'll have aclu and feminist lawyers suing the schools in a second for discrimination. Let's say you pay men's bball players 3 grand each. Each and ever women's softball player will want the same thing.
Legally it would be a nightmare or your be paying a lot of money to all athletes.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that would be case.  Because a scholarship might prevent that from happening.  Meaning, discrimination isn't really happening here.  Another thought is a softball student-athlete at Florida or Oklahoma has a "higher value" compared to a softball player at Valpo.  It's just the way it is.  Any purchase of FU Softball t-shirt, and I would assume there's a lot, isn't going to go the Florida football team.  

On one hand, if he's dirty, he and the others need to pay the piper... 

However, how sweet would it be for him to be vindicated? ... Imagine how satisfying it would be for Vitale, Bilas, et all being exposed as the biased, big mouthed ACC fanboys that they are.

From ESPN to Pro Football Talk, sports are being destroyed by a barrage of bad news; some of it being premature, some of it inaccurate, and some of it outright lies. Adding to that nasty mess is the win at all cost attitude of some universities, coaches and alumni. Is it any wonder that college sports is becoming less and less watchable? I don't know where the answers lie, but I don't think it is in paying collegiate players. More likely, it's in creating an NBA farm system, (NBA, since we're talking about college basketball) that pays those talents willing to forego an education for the chance, (no matter how small) at stardom, and a big payday. For those who want an education, and something to fall back on in the event their skills and talent don't translate to the professional league, I'd propose making athletic scholarships contingent upon the recipient agreeing to play a minimum of two years, and possibly three, with the proviso that leaving any earlier will result in their reimbursing the university in full for the complete value of goods and services provided during their stay. If they complete all four years and graduate, no payback in required. Half baked idea perhaps, but it sounds fair to me.