Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

B1G Tournament Thread

21 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Maybe one of these days we can enjoy a BTT run. You know Rutgers and Penn State fans are enjoying it.

It would be nice, but I'm in the boat that these conference tournaments are a waste. If we're a title contending team that year, there's nothing to gain except injuries to star players. If we need the wins to get into the tournament, the whole season was probably pretty crappy heading up to that point anyway.

Also, playing 3+ games in as many days is a huge waste of strength the week before the important tournament actually starts. This year isn't as bad because it's a week early and the title teams will get an extra week to rest up, but this year's format isn't happening again. If I had a top seed all but locked up, I'd start my bench for a BTT game to get them some experience and let my assistants coach. They're complete money grabs that do nothing but allow underserving teams a chance to sneak into the NCAA tournament.

....but having said all that, the winners tend to fare pretty well in the NCAAs.

8 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

It would be nice, but I'm in the boat that these conference tournaments are a waste.

Completely agree. Money grabs at the expense of the athletes. But, who in charge cares them anyway.

A couple things watching the replay of Ohio st/penn st game from earlier. Carr pushes off with his off arm almost every time and I finally saw him called on it once so far. When Dakich was guarding Carr his eye lit up. He knew he had the height advantage and he took advantage of it. Can’t wait to watch the last 10 min I hear the ending is a good one
If they wouldn’t have to condense the schedule to have the tournament in Madison square garden I would have no problem with this tournament being here 10% of the time. The atmosphere has been great and it seems like a great experience for the athletes

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It would be nice, but I'm in the boat that these conference tournaments are a waste. If we're a title contending team that year, there's nothing to gain except injuries to star players. If we need the wins to get into the tournament, the whole season was probably pretty crappy heading up to that point anyway.
Also, playing 3+ games in as many days is a huge waste of strength the week before the important tournament actually starts. This year isn't as bad because it's a week early and the title teams will get an extra week to rest up, but this year's format isn't happening again. If I had a top seed all but locked up, I'd start my bench for a BTT game to get them some experience and let my assistants coach. They're complete money grabs that do nothing but allow underserving teams a chance to sneak into the NCAA tournament.
....but having said all that, the winners tend to fare pretty well in the NCAAs.
If iu was winning these you would not be saying that. It would be a blast to see iu win it once this century

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

If iu was winning these you would not be saying that. It would be a blast to see iu win it once this century

Not at the expense of risking an NCAAT run. I didn't want IU burning out/risking injury in 2013, and was happy we got a win to stay warm and then got out of the tournament in game 2 unscathed. Not that he was a game-changer, but we did lose Verdell Jones for the season in the 2012 tournament, and I didn't want to see that happen to Vic, or Cody, or Christian, or Yogi in a meaningless exhibition tournament a week before we were a one-seed. 

Bottom line, if we're a top team the tournament is a waste, and if we need the BTT then the season was underwhelming to begin with. Yes, a team in a situation like Michigan is in this year can bump their seeding up a notch with an impressive showing, but for the most part the costs of these tournaments outweigh the benefits. They don't even prove anything anyway. The regular season champion is considered the conference champion, and that title will only be strengthened when the conference schedule goes to 20 games.

Not at the expense of risking an NCAAT run. I didn't want IU burning out/risking injury in 2013, and was happy we got a win to stay warm and then got out of the tournament in game 2 unscathed. Not that he was a game-changer, but we did lose Verdell Jones for the season in the 2012 tournament, and I didn't want to see that happen to Vic, or Cody, or Christian, or Yogi in a meaningless exhibition tournament a week before we were a one-seed. 
Bottom line, if we're a top team the tournament is a waste, and if we need the BTT then the season was underwhelming to begin with. Yes, a team in a situation like Michigan is in this year can bump their seeding up a notch with an impressive showing, but for the most part the costs of these tournaments outweigh the benefits. They don't even prove anything anyway. The regular season champion is considered the conference champion, and that title will only be strengthened when the conference schedule goes to 20 games.

I don't see the Michigan states worried about burning out or worried about risk of injury in the btt each year. They play to win it. In fact losing that game to Wisconsin probably cost us the #1 seed in the midwest that year.It was not meaningless and we never made a run. We got blown out by Syracuse badly after barely beating temple. People always say they want to do well but once iu loses it the same old excuse about it's a meaningless tourney.

It was hardly meaningless for iu this year given it would of gotten us into the NIT with two wins