Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Late Season Optimism

DeVonte Green makes me very optimistic.
I was not a fan; thought he was an undersized two guard. I am now hugely impressed at his willingness to adapt, change, and mature, and the coaching staff’s ability to get him to buy in.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah, I was his biggest advocate. The skill set always impressed me, even last year.

Even I, through most of the season had given up on him because I thought he just couldn't change his player personality and decision making.

Honestly, post season or not, I'm enjoying what Archie is doing for ALL the reasons the OP stated. (Great post BTW).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm wondering if so much (needed) time was spent on getting the defense to where it needed to be and to get the defensive mindset to where it needed to be, and to pound those principles in, that offensive coaching had to be put in the background?
It seems like our defense has been much improved, generally speaking, for a few weeks and these last few games it looks like we've actually had the chance to work on offense. Our passing is much better, Johnson seems to be playing better, offensively. Freddie seems to have made great strides on offense. Justin is starting to get more comfortable on offense. Devonte is wrangled in and making the right play much more often. The team is assisting at a high rate.
Like you, I wish we had about 15 games left to watch.
This has been my assumption all yr.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

This has been my assumption all yr.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I guess it's been mine too. I l was just worried that the offense was never going to come around.

DeVonte Green makes me very optimistic.
I was not a fan; thought he was an undersized two guard. I am now hugely impressed at his willingness to adapt, change, and mature, and the coaching staff’s ability to get him to buy in.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He might be undersized as a two but he has decent length and quickness. I said awhile back that I didn't think he'd just let Phinisee walk in and take his job but make him fight for it. Those two going at each other all summer will help a lot. I hope we don't use it often but I could see Green and Phinisee on the floor together.

Who’s to say this team won’t be playing a month from now? And no I’m not talking NIT

They would have to win the BTT, or get to the finals while winning out in regular season IMHO. Entirely possible....I think IU will be the team nobody really wants to play in the BTT, regardless

Sent from my LG-H872 using BtownBanners mobile app

To me, to make the Big Dance is in the realm of Miracle on Ice or Milan winning the state championship.  I won't be disappointed for a trip to the NIT.  I will be disappointed if we lose both of our remaining regular season games and lose our first game in the B1G Tourney.   We've been playing well enough for the wins but we have a very small margin for error.  

4 hours ago, Treesh said:

Agree with it all. NIT would be a win for this season. We must remember we're dealing with a team who doesn't have great shooting, great defense (until now), and elite talent. 

Can't tell you how happy I am to be able to see a zone offense, a offense vs man, and improvement. 

I feel like we wasted the past nine years with Crean. 

Sadly, I think you're right and I really liked Crean. I held on, but I was wrong as Archie has proved what a real coach can do. I admit my sorely bad thinking.

4 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I'm wondering if so much (needed) time was spent on getting the defense to where it needed to be and to get the defensive mindset to where it needed to be, and to pound those principles in, that offensive coaching had to be put in the background?

It seems like our defense has been much improved, generally speaking, for a few weeks and these last few games it looks like we've actually had the chance to work on offense. Our passing is much better, Johnson seems to be playing better, offensively. Freddie seems to have made great strides on offense. Justin is starting to get more comfortable on offense. Devonte is wrangled in and making the right play much more often. The team is assisting at a high rate.

Yes, yes and yes

Sadly, I think you're right and I really liked Crean. I held on, but I was wrong as Archie has proved what a real coach can do. I admit my sorely bad thinking.

I laughing hard at that last sentence. Not sure why but i am. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, cleeter said:

I agree with all of your post, but just wanted to put out another concern i have, that i havent seen on here (or just missed it)

My biggest concern with this team and it drives me up a darn wall, is missed free throws. Im not 100% on stats but i feel confident in saying that it has cost us 3 wins minimum this year. Now i just keep telling myself that transforming this offense and defense out of the FCTC era and into CAM's era has taken precedence and maybe that means less free throw practicing, but still...its a free throw. Free throws will cost you if you miss them and they have cost us many times, and nothing more makes my blood boil than missed free throws. 

Are the 3 wins you think they cost us big ten games? Just curious.

3 hours ago, cleeter said:

And i am stoked that a "positive IU list" is that long because they haven't had much to put on that list except for the past few weeks. But i try not to concern myself with FT too much, because the players can practice that by themselves at anytime. They only have so much time with Archie to learn and be taught the offense and defense. Just wish those darn "freebies" would start falling.

Just curious, do you have any kin named Skeeter Cleeter??

31 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Are the 3 wins you think they cost us big ten games? Just curious.

Well after looking it up. I guess i over-exaggerated. 

16-29 with 2 point loss at ILL

18-25 with 3 point loss to MSU

10-17 with 7 point loss to Purd....

16-26 with 10 point loss to Duke

I wish there was a way to see how many of those misses were the front end of a 1-and-1 because say there was 3 times we missed a front end, that could cost us 6 points. And in all those games, that would made it all very different. So I’d say they only cost us in 2 but perhaps more. 

I think my hatred for miss FT’s and missed 1-and-1 May blur my thoughts haha

Well about the offense, you can kind of see a rhythm/flow, which is nice to see.

26 minutes ago, cleeter said:

I wish there was a way to see how many of those misses were the front end of a 1-and-1 because say there was 3 times we missed a front end, that could cost us 6 points. And in all those games, that would made it all very different. So I’d say they only cost us in 2 but perhaps more. 

Would be nice to have those 3 big ten wins and be sitting at 12-4 and the Duke game to be sitting 20-8 overall right now.

You could add in making just one or two layups to that. I hope the returning players realize that they could be dancing if they converted a layup and/or a FT here and there. That needs to be on the off-season list of things to improve.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

You could add in making just one or two layups to that. I hope the returning players realize that they could be dancing if they converted a layup and/or a FT here and there. That needs to be on the off-season list of things to improve.

The problem when your coach has to spend all time on defense because they lack basic fundamental skills