Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Late Season Optimism

This is speculation but IF:

We can beat @Nebraska

We can beat Ohio State

Penn State can beat @Nebraska

We would finish tied in 5th place with Nebraska in the Big Ten.  We would get the 5th seed via the Tie-Breaker.

If Penn State were to also beat Michigan

There would be a 4 way tie for 4th in the Big Ten with Michigan, IU, Penn State, and Nebraska

I am not sure the Tie-Breaker scenarios in a 4 team tie, but in my opinion it would be in the order I listed but I could be wrong.

We can beat @Nebraska
We can beat Ohio State
We would finish tied in 5th place with Nebraska in the Big Ten.  We would get the 5th seed via the Tie-Breaker.
There would be a 4 way tie for 4th in the Big Ten with Michigan, IU, Penn State, and Nebraska
I am not sure the Tie-Breaker scenarios in a 4 team tie, but in my opinion it would be in the order I listed but I could be wrong.

Lots of ifs..
IU would get the tie breaker by going 2-1 vs that group. PSU would get the next seed for going 2-1.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm wondering if so much (needed) time was spent on getting the defense to where it needed to be and to get the defensive mindset to where it needed to be, and to pound those principles in, that offensive coaching had to be put in the background?

It seems like our defense has been much improved, generally speaking, for a few weeks and these last few games it looks like we've actually had the chance to work on offense. Our passing is much better, Johnson seems to be playing better, offensively. Freddie seems to have made great strides on offense. Justin is starting to get more comfortable on offense. Devonte is wrangled in and making the right play much more often. The team is assisting at a high rate.

Like you, I wish we had about 15 games left to watch.

All great points but point #3 regarding the defense gets me.  This is the most sound defensive team I've seen since the early 2000s, not necessarily by stats, but more by effort and intent.  It's all a reflection of Miller, imo.

We can beat @Nebraska
We can beat Ohio State

Penn st would have the tie breaker and be the 4 seed and we would be the 5 seed. It’s total record against all teams that are tied I believe

Didn't realize they played Neb or UM twice

They have already beat Nebraska once and there last 2 games are against Nebraska and Michigan so if they win out they would be 3-1. Still would be cool to finish tied for 4th and receiving the 5 seed in the tourney

34 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

We can beat @Nebraska

We can beat Ohio State

Just FYI, for the four-way tie to occur, Michigan would have to lose at Maryland in addition to losing at Penn State.

45 minutes ago, Ohreally said:

Just FYI, for the four-way tie to occur, Michigan would have to lose at Maryland in addition to losing at Penn State.

Yes, I forgot to put that tidbit in there as well, but it is @Maryland so I think its not out of the realm of possibility.

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

The only area I still have concern is in recruiting.  It is still a work in progress for me, as we really only have 4 committed recruits in his tenure so far, so I am anxious to see how he will be able to recruit and specifically the state of Indiana, so verdict is still out.  

I agree with all of your post, but just wanted to put out another concern i have, that i havent seen on here (or just missed it)

My biggest concern with this team and it drives me up a darn wall, is missed free throws. Im not 100% on stats but i feel confident in saying that it has cost us 3 wins minimum this year. Now i just keep telling myself that transforming this offense and defense out of the FCTC era and into CAM's era has taken precedence and maybe that means less free throw practicing, but still...its a free throw. Free throws will cost you if you miss them and they have cost us many times, and nothing more makes my blood boil than missed free throws. 

Edited by cleeter

10 minutes ago, cleeter said:

I agree with all of your post, but just wanted to put out another concern i have, that i havent seen on here (or just missed it)

My biggest concern with this team and it drives me up a darn wall, is missed free throws. Im not 100% on stats but i feel confident in saying that it has cost us 3 wins minimum this year. Now i just keep telling myself that transforming this offense and defense out of the FCTC era and into CAM's era has taken precedence and maybe that means less free throw practicing, but still...its a free throw. Free throws will cost you if you miss them and they have cost us many times, and nothing more makes my blood boil than missed free throws. 

Yeah that is another concern but I was trying to focus on the positives even though I finished it with the recruiting.  But I do agree, the FT% concerns me and the fact that his teams have never been great FT shooting teams.  

2 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

Yeah that is another concern but I was trying to focus on the positives even though I finished it with the recruiting.  But I do agree, the FT% concerns me and the fact that his teams have never been great FT shooting teams.  

And i am stoked that a "positive IU list" is that long because they haven't had much to put on that list except for the past few weeks. But i try not to concern myself with FT too much, because the players can practice that by themselves at anytime. They only have so much time with Archie to learn and be taught the offense and defense. Just wish those darn "freebies" would start falling.