Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

yogisballin

Game Thread: Indiana at Nebraska 9est BTN

IMG_1813.jpg

I know, I’m a day early! And this is my first ever start to a game thread.

Team stats on the season are very very close according to these few listed. Can not begin to say how ecstatic I’d be to see us win this one fellas! And I really don’t think it’s a stretch at all. Just coming off a loss to that terrible Illinois team. So will they be hanging their heads or be ready to play?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe someone has already looked into it so before I start digging for answers, if IU and Penn St win out, while Nebraska and Michigan lose out, all 4 tie for the final double by spot for the tournament at 11-7. If it plays out that way, what are the tie breakers?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, protectthishouse said:

Maybe someone has already looked into it so before I start digging for answers, if IU and Penn St win out, while Nebraska and Michigan lose out, all 4 tie for the final double by spot for the tournament at 11-7. If it plays out that way, what are the tie breakers?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Others have said overall record against the tied teams. PSU would be 3-1 compared to our 2-1.

Roby is the player that worries me.  He is a shot blocker and can score.  If McSwain and Morgan can get him in foul trouble, I don't think we will have better odds to win.  When he got his 4th foul against Illinois, that's when they fell apart.  Palmer tried to do everything and couldn't get it done.

Roby is the player that worries me.  He is a shot blocker and can score.  If McSwain and Morgan can get him in foul trouble, I don't think we will have better odds to win.  When he got his 4th foul against Illinois, that's when they fell apart.  Palmer tried to do everything and couldn't get it done.

We need to shutdown two of Watson, Palmer, and Roby. Johnson on Watson, McBob on Palmer, and Morgan on Roby. Hopefully, if Roby is guarding Morgan we can get him into foul trouble and then Copeland gets into foul trouble guarding Morgan. We also need to tear that 1-3-1 junk zone up with they go to it.

What will likely happen is Morgan picking up a few questionable fouls in the first half and Smith will be defending Roby or Copeland.

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

We need to shutdown two of Watson, Palmer, and Roby. Johnson on Watson, McBob on Palmer, and Morgan on Roby. Hopefully, if Roby is guarding Morgan we can get him into foul trouble and then Copeland gets into foul trouble guarding Morgan. We also need to tear that 1-3-1 junk zone up with they go to it.

What will likely happen is Morgan picking up a few questionable fouls in the first half and Smith will be defending Roby or Copeland.

We've shown the ability to play well vs. Zone. I personally would not zone us. We get a lot more open looks that way... and.. harder to block out Morgan, McRoberts, and McSwain who are all fantastic on the offensive glass. 

Husker fan checking in here:   Roby, the former Illinois HS superstar, is the catalyst- He's the most talented Husker since Tyron Lue or Mikki Moore. His versatility is tremendous and he can play on the perimeter, play the point, shoot the three, and dominate in the paint. But he's also a freakish shot blocker because of his wing span.  James Palmer is the All Big 10 player who can take over a game, and if he gets to the free throw line, you're screwed. He's a 6'6 two guard with like a 7 foot wing span. That's what makes him such a tough matchup.  Copeland is one of the smoothest players in the Big Ten. If The former 5-Star and top 30 player gets the ball with the chance to spot up, he's deadly, but he's a defensive liability on a player like Morgan. He can also disappear in stretches because the Huskers are a true distributing point guard away from being a legit top 25 team. 

Watson seems to be struggling with the uptick in talent around him. He has had a difficult time moving from a scorer to a guy who has pieces around him. The Huskers were really in command with about 8 minutes left in the Illinois game and Watson then almost lost the game by himself. he proceeded to force foolish shots instead of allowing his teammates create. Miles sat him as a punishment, but the back up point guard,  true frosh Thomas Allen, a 4-star and top 100 player in his own right, isn't quite ready for the back court pressure bigger and older players can apply. 

Anton Gill, the Louisville transfer, was almost a money 55% three point shooter for the first half of the season, but he's been almost awful since Tim Mile moved him into the starting lineup. he is really good in transition though, and Nebraska is making a run at the tourney because they've been able to turn outstanding defense into points in transition. 

Huskers played their worst game of the season at Illinois on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how they respond. Huskers are 14-1 at home with the only loss coming off a last second 3 pointer to Kansas. The Arena is awesome, and the Husker fans are great. Its surrounded by a massive Bar district and everyone is hammered. It makes for a fun atmosphere. It used to a "bronx cheer crowd" that showed up anyway and rooted in pity... With an actual good team on the floor, it makes for a tough place to play. 

Hoosiers have a great shot to get a win because there is absolutely zero pressure on them. Huskers have been in a win or go home mode for the last 3 weeks. They really choked at Illinois and you have to wonder if that pressure is starting to mount on them. 

As a 30+ year Husker basketball fan I'm like a Unicorn. Its rare but fun to be excited about basketball in Late February. Can't wait for the game. 

I wish Crean was still coaching.. :) 

Welcome to the board Husker; great to see folks from other fanbases make an appearance!

I, for one, am quite pleased that Crean is gone. Now if we can get only get Miles out of the conference; guy bugs the crap out of me. He’s like a shorter, angrier, older Matt Haarms. Edit: Haarms might be older.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Welcome to the board Husker; great to see folks from other fanbases make an appearance!

I for one, am quite pleased that Crean is gone. Now if we can get only get Miles out of the conference; guy bugs the crap out of me. He’s like a shorter, angrier, older Matt Haarms. Edit: Haarms might be older.

Man.. you don't have to be a Hoosier fan to hate Haarms... He easily is the most punchable player in the Big Ten... And I can understand why you would hate Tim Miles... 

Crean struggled to beat him and had ZERO business losing to any of Timmy's teams. Tim Miles is funny as **** though. His sarcasm makes him hate able... I get it. 

Man.. you don't have to be a Hoosier fan to hate Haarms... He easily is the most punchable player in the Big Ten... And I can understand why you would hate Tim Miles... 

Crean struggled to beat him and had ZERO business losing to any of Timmy's teams. Tim Miles is funny as **** though. His sarcasm makes him hate able... I get it. 

Thanks for posting. Good summary. I actually kind of like Tim Miles. He can be super annoying but I've watched him on the taste of coaching show a time or 2 and he is a good guy imo. Indiana has been hit and miss on the road. Hard to know which team will show up, but the boys have been more consistent as of late.

10 hours ago, DoctorDoctorDoctor said:

Miles was even able to buy some love for Crean on IU boards when the two of them went at it.

Curious- why hasn’t that big Jordy Thsimanga (sp?) developed much? Thought he looked like a pretty high level talent.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Miles was even able to buy some love for Crean on IU boards when the two of them went at it.

Curious- why hasn’t that big Joel Thsimanga (sp?) developed much? Thought he looked like a pretty high level talent.

I think its is as simple as terrible hands... He can't collect a rebound and he rarely gathers an inlet pass cleanly... Its maddening. But when you're Nebraska, you have to take risks on these types of players. When it doesn't work out, you get a likely 17 minutes a game reserve in Jordy. When it does work out, you get a raw talent like Roby who is on the verge of become a 1st Round draft pick. 

I think its is as simple as terrible hands... He can't collect a rebound and he rarely gathers an inlet pass cleanly... Its maddening. But when you're Nebraska, you have to take risks on these types of players. When it doesn't work out, you get a likely 17 minutes a game reserve in Jordy. When it does work out, you get a raw talent like Roby who is on the verge of become a 1st Round draft pick. 

Roby had his coming out party in Assembly Hall last year. Ugghh.