Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Woodworking Thread

I thought we already had one but searched and searched without finding it.

I've been playing around with the power tools again. I'm in the process of redoing my nephew's room. (IU themed of course). I'm building a loft bed with dresser, book/storage case under to support the bed. It's nothing special and doing it on the cheap. I've come up with a design for a movable desk that will attach to the back of either the bookcase or dresser, depending on which is facing out. Also, looking to do a moving TV box to raise an lower a TV under and above the bed.

That was a lot of nonsense. I just finished putting together some frames for his IU basketball posters and calendars. Thinking to paint them red and burn a "Big Ten Champs" for the 2015-2016.

Any other woodworkers out there? What are you building? What plans do you have?

IMG_5290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I thought we already had one but searched and searched without finding it.

I've been playing around with the power tools again. I'm in the process of redoing my nephew's room. (IU themed of course). I'm building a loft bed with dresser, book/storage case under to support the bed. It's nothing special and doing it on the cheap. I've come up with a design for a movable desk that will attach to the back of either the bookcase or dresser, depending on which is facing out. Also, looking to do a moving TV box to raise an lower a TV under and above the bed.

That was a lot of nonsense. I just finished putting together some frames for his IU basketball posters and calendars. Thinking to paint them red and burn a "Big Ten Champs" for the 2015-2016.

Any other woodworkers out there? What are you building? What plans do you have?

IMG_5290.thumb.jpg.58ae4b1fe5014f0c08f94d39a4b47b37.jpg

Nice, aloha! I’ve gotten caught up in some of the pallet projects and other stuff. It’s a challenge at times with only a mitre saw, power drill, and a jigsaw

Nice, aloha! I’ve gotten caught up in some of the pallet projects and other stuff. It’s a challenge at times with only a mitre saw, power drill, and a jigsaw

I've done a few pallet projects too. Breaking down the pallets are a... I'm going to try and do some pallet planter boxes to hide the Air Con in the spring.

I'm trying to finish his bedroom before then. Having a limited tool supply makes it all the more difficult. I bought a little Ryobi table saw that helps.

Awesome Aloha!  I really enjoy woodworking.  

I'm very much a novice and have a small assortment of lesser expensive tools that I've mainly acquired via Craigslist. I am, however, ready to upgrade my table saw.  I've been looking at Grizzly.  The least expensive is about $1k shipped. The used market is not that good around here. 

I've attached a few of the bigger projects I've done. Nothing terribly fancy but fun all the same.  The bridge is used at my daughter's Girl Scout cross-over events. The bench was repurposed from my childhood headboard/footboard.

5E9602A0-CC5E-4913-9BCA-713DAF6370CC.jpeg

38B63A2C-DACD-41D5-8700-B0DF01A94C56.jpeg

I'm very much a novice and have a small assortment of lesser expensive tools that I've mainly acquired via Craigslist. I am, however, ready to upgrade my table saw.  I've been looking at Grizzly.  The least expensive is about $1k shipped. The used market is not that good around here. 
I've attached a few of the bigger projects I've done. Nothing terribly fancy but fun all the same.  The bridge is used at my daughter's Girl Scout cross-over events. The bench was repurposed from my childhood headboard/footboard.
5E9602A0-CC5E-4913-9BCA-713DAF6370CC.thumb.jpeg.cb7d36b57b6209c2a56fa5fb9da35d29.jpeg
38B63A2C-DACD-41D5-8700-B0DF01A94C56.thumb.jpeg.76aaa616bf366275e17c83ba0a67e9d8.jpeg

Great work! That's really cool you could repurpose your childhood bed for a bench. How'd you do the burning on the bridge? I've used a soldering iron before but it's not ideal...

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Great work! That's really cool you could repurpose your childhood bed for a bench. How'd you do the burning on the bridge? I've used a soldering iron before but it's not ideal...

Thx!  That's actually routed in and I used a dark stain to draw out the lettering. 

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Even better! Looks great. Did you use a kit?

I'm going to try and either burn or cut "Big Ten Champs" into the 2015-2016 frame. It should be interesting..

My wife had bought me a stencil set a while back. Just finally had an excuse to put it to use. 

I've made signs for my kids rooms and my wife's garden. Just don't have pics handy. 

I would like to start burning Lichtenberg fractal pattern designs into wood...but frankly I'm scared too death of it. Lol

5E9602A0-CC5E-4913-9BCA-713DAF6370CC.thumb.jpeg.cb7d36b57b6209c2a56fa5fb9da35d29.jpeg
38B63A2C-DACD-41D5-8700-B0DF01A94C56.thumb.jpeg.76aaa616bf366275e17c83ba0a67e9d8.jpeg

That bridge is awesome

My wife had bought me a stencil set a while back. Just finally had an excuse to put it to use. 
I've made signs for my kids rooms and my wife's garden. Just don't have pics handy. 
I would like to start burning Lichtenberg fractal pattern designs into wood...but frankly I'm scared too death of it. Lol

My dad got a trim router and has started learning to do lettering. He's a thousand times the woodworker I am. He went through a period where he made a bunch of stupid awesome boxes. Hopefully, one day I'll have his shop.

IMG_3708.jpgIMG_3710.jpg

I'm green with envy that you guys can do these things.  I'm a klutz with woodworking tools.  My hats off to you.

It's an adrenaline rush for me. Will I lose a finger and bleed out or just get splinters..! I'm more a sawdust maker than a woodworker.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

My dad got a trim router and has started learning to do lettering. He's a thousand times the woodworker I am. He went through a period where he made a bunch of stupid awesome boxes. Hopefully, one day I'll have his shop.

IMG_3708.jpgIMG_3710.jpg

GORGEOUS!!!!!  I want to learn joinery. I'm ok, but not great. Just takes practice! And patience...which I sometimes lack. 

GORGEOUS!!!!!  I want to learn joinery. I'm ok, but not great. Just takes practice! And patience...which I sometimes lack. 

I'll have to dig up the site one of his friends did. It breaks down step by step how to make these boxes. They're selling these boxes for 300-600 dollars. I would love to do them but the wood they use isn't cheap.

My favorite two; kreg and domino. They have a fantastic wood hobby shop on base in Hawaii. After a 3 hour safety course you can use the shop at a cost of a few bucks an hour. They have a cabinet grade panel saw that is amazing. That's where I used the Festool domino joiner. If only I had a grand to buy one!

Here are a few things I built out in Hawaii. The last two are a shelf we built for our bar at work.

IMG_5291.jpgIMG_5292.jpgIMG_5293.jpg
IMG_5295.jpgIMG_5296.jpgIMG_5297.jpg