Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

IUWS: GK Bethany Kopel called into U19 USWNT camp

Indiana Women's Soccer freshman goalkeeper Bethany Kopel has been called into U.S. Soccer U-19 Women's National Team Training Camp, the organization announced on Thursday.

Kopel, who played every minute of the 2017 season in goal for the Hoosiers, will head to Lakewood Ranch, Fla. from Feb. 10-17.

"I feel honored that I have the opportunity to represent my country," said Kopel. "I'm so excited that words can't describe it. Everybody on this IU team has pushed me to get better in training and games to help get me to this point."

U-19 WNT head coach Keri Sarver called up 24 players for the camp, including five from Big Ten programs. The camp will be held alongside a week-long camp for the U-18 squad.

Kopel is the first player in head coach Amy Berbary's five-year tenure at Indiana to be selected for a national team training camp.

"She is a prime example of a student-athlete that has had extreme goals for herself but she's done the extra work to get herself here," said Berbary. "She's done more than any coaching staff has asked her to do at any level and she's reaping the benefits and getting a shot. I'm so excited for her to put on that U.S. jersey."

The Novi, Mich. native finished her freshman campaign with 96 saves, the second-most ever for an Indiana freshman and the third-most in the Big Ten. Kopel's five shutouts were the most for a Hoosier freshman since 2007 and was tied for 10th-most in a single year in IU history.

Kopel ranked near the top nationally all season in goalkeeper minutes played and earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors on Oct. 17 after a 12-save performance in Indiana's 2-1 win against Iowa.

"I think Bethany is one of the hardest-working people you'll find," said associate head coach and goalkeeper coach Sergio Gonzalez. "This opportunity is a direct result of that desire she has to be a better goalkeeper, a better soccer player and a better teammate on a daily basis. I'm excited for her, it's something she fully deserves and something she's been working for a long time."

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/2/9/womens-soccer-kopel-called-into-us-soccer-u-19-wnt-camp.aspx