Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Archie’s defense

I was just talking about how much better this team's defense is compared to last year's team.  Heck compared now to the start of the season is night and day!  I think it all changed once Davis went down?  It's like they had to play a completely different style?  

Possibly, we all knew Davis struggled to get back on defense when he would come up to help. Maybe Freddie is faster? I’m not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, IUHAHN82 said:

To me it is obvious Archie knows adjustments.  Notice we arent giving up 3's like before.  We've stopped doubling so much and r really pressuring the ball up top.  Adjusting to the personnel we have.  The signs r all there.  

The last few games I have noticed that the team hasn't had to labor through defense.  It seems to be more natural and in control.  They aren't overplaying the hedge and leaving wings open.  It's like the hedge guy does just enough to disrupt the ball and then reassign to his man easily.

They have probably practiced this until they are blue in the face.

Archie or Marshall were my first choices in the coaching search until I heard Donovan mentioned. Now looking back? I'm glad Archie is the coach. It's been awesome to watch games the last month or so and see guys actually be where they are supposed to be on defense. I really think the offense is improving also. Not sure whether it's just been the improvement of DG and his expanded role but it's been cool to watch. I'm enthusiastic about Indiana basketball for the first time in several years. 

Thank you for this post. I've been really wondering how our defense has been over the past month or so. Kenpom shows us currently as #76 in adj. def but I know that's taking into account the whole season. I can tell by the eye test we've gotten better since December but knowing we're top 10 in the last 10 games is incredible given the brutal schedule we've had in such a short time span. 

Thank you for this post. I've been really wondering how our defense has been over the past month or so. Kenpom shows us currently as #76 in adj. def but I know that's taking into account the whole season. I can tell by the eye test we've gotten better since December but knowing we're top 10 in the last 10 games is incredible given the brutal schedule we've had in such a short time span. 

I don't know the exact number, but I know earlier in the year we were solidly in 100's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

Overall, we were 116th over 1st 10 games this season, 31st over last 10 and sit at 68 overall.

We are 88 on offense and 60 on defense for the season. We're 3rd in the B1G on defense.

Our last 10 last season we were 89th on D.

5 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I might be having delusions of grandeur because of my bias but I really think if this improvement continues and they actually start sinking their free throws they might make some noise in the B1G tournament. 

The inconsistency of our senior guards and the lack of scoring options will continue to plague us. However, one of the announcers mentioned last night (Hummel?) that Robert Johnson suddenly looked like he knew his college career was ending soon. I hope Rojo can find an extra gear for the rest of the season and be the player we all know he can be. 

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:

I might be having delusions of grandeur because of my bias but I really think if this improvement continues and they actually start sinking their free throws they might make some noise in the B1G tournament. 

I wish we'd get that issue figured out

56 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

I don't know the exact number, but I know earlier in the year we were solidly in 100's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

At one point we were 178 i know that. And i thought it would be insane for our D to surpass our offense. Davis going down contributed to both

8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The inconsistency of our senior guards and the lack of scoring options will continue to plague us. However, one of the announcers mentioned last night (Hummel?) that Robert Johnson suddenly looked like he knew his college career was ending soon. I hope Rojo can find an extra gear for the rest of the season and be the player we all know he can be. 

I tend to agree with you but a good D sinking free throw usually makes up for that kind of stuff.  The MSU game is a prime example.  And man, if all of the sudden a consistent guard play comes into it then I am almost certain IU makes some noise in the B1G tournament.  

Edited by Lebowski