Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Rutgers Game Thread

Thank goodness for the D because 44.4% at the charity stripe typically doesn't cut it.  It was like the upside down last night.  McSwain went 4-4 from the line and Johnson went 2-6.  
But man, that D!  Absolutely velvet.  

The free throw shooting is absolutely baffling. I'm quite certain I could shoot better than 50% from the line if you gave me a week to prepare, with my off hand.

The defense has definitely looked better. If we could get a trio (Morgan, Johnson, Green ?) going with a little support we could win a few more games down the stretch.

I really look forward to the day when CAM has a roster full of his guys who can defend this way AND hit wide open shots. I think this is a coach that can consistently get it done even in down years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I liked seeing Race Thompson celebrating on the bench after made buckets. He was getting into it. That stuff goes a long way.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

By the same token when they show the bench Moore is stone faced.Bad body language.
Kid needs to get it together this off season,hit the weight room and get better.We could use length and he has shown signs of becoming a good rim protector.It will be him or Jake.Thats all up to him.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

By the same token when they show the bench Moore is stone faced.Bad body language.
Kid needs to get it together this off season,hit the weight room and get better.We could use length and he has shown signs of becoming a good rim protector.It will be him or Jake.Thats all up to him.

I remember watching an interview with Moore pre IU. He was talking about how his team needs to get him the ball more because he is that good.

That was a fun game despite some frustrations. It felt good to blow out another team again! It's been too long. Hopefully the improvement continues.

Why do posters sometimes leave the S off of RutgerS?

I remember watching an interview with Moore pre IU. He was talking about how his team needs to get him the ball more because he is that good.

Yeah,me too.
Obviously he was mistaken.He does have the potential but he needs to work his @$$ off to reach it.
I think Archies motto is going to be Its my way or the highway,as it should.

Not sure on Moore, but if good Green keeps up what he's done the majority of the last 3 games, he'll be a nice backup PG off the bench. 

If Green plays like he did last night Rob Phinisee will start the season coming off the bench.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

If Green plays like he did last night Rob Phinisee will start the season coming off the bench.

Can't really argue with that logic. Can he keep it consistent though? That's what kills me with these guys. Jekyll and Hyde.

Can't really argue with that logic. Can he keep it consistent though? That's what kills me with these guys. Jekyll and Hyde.

I also agree. This is not a knock on Devonte, but I think that will create a healthier competition within the backcourt from a mental standpoint.

Mentally I think Rob can handle the backseat and would be driven to improve his game more so than Devonte, who has seemed to get discouraged easily. However, these last three games he's decided to adjust his focus in a way that makes his game (and the team) better, and I think we're seeing some maturation there.

Some people just respond differently to the backup role. Hopefully whoever starts/sits will embrace the roles and fulfill them to their greatest potential!

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Which, honestly, would likely be a good thing for Phinisee. At least, to start the season.

DeVonte Green has started to improve halfway through his sophomore year at IU. 

That can effectiveness can evolve and stick; there are so, so many examples of undisciplined Hoosiers who were erratic and frequently ineffective, but became major contributors by their junior and senior years:

• Verdell Jones
  • Landon Turner
  • Christian Watford
  • Jeffrey Newton
  • Troy Williams
  • Brian Sloan
  • Jared Odle

...and on and on. Of course, there are also many examples of Hoosiers who started out erratic and never got their on-court act together.

But, my point is that there is a precedent for DeVonte to sustain much more consistent success as he matures as a player.

1 hour ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

At this point, I'm not sure I see Moore here next year unfortunately.  

If he can't get playing time on this team, he's certainly not getting it when better players come in.

I have a hard time judging freshmen too harshly, especially ones that we knew weren't studs coming out of high school (ranked ~150). He needs to get a lot stronger in the offseason in both his lower and upper body. Clifton doesn't play tough and doesn't look tough. That will come with another year under Archie's watch (I hope) and will also come naturally once he gets stronger. He needs some skill development too. Should be ready to contribute next year more than a similarly ranked Jake Forrester if he puts in the work.

12 hours ago, cbp4iu said:

Man the improvements this team has been making. Can you imagine an off season Archie Miller program. I really think this team is going to be sneaky next year. They are starting  to click on half court sets. Defense the switching has been superb! Kudos to Green these past 3 games. I think he’s starting to get more comfortable with Archie and realizing his role with the team. I hope this off season Juwan takes Race under his wing and mentors him. 

Agree....and possibly swap RL for RJ.  WATCH OUT!

Please Morgan Stay!

He won't be back

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

On Green:
The skill level is there but needs to be sharpened. He can be a solid shooter when he has good shot selection. I don't mind the 1v1 when we're late in the shot clock and he needs to create something. He needs to tighten up his handle and make the good, not flashy, pass. His defense has improved but he needs to get back to his man quicker after the screen.

He has definitely picked up his play the last several games. Hopefully he finishes the year strong as a starter.

On Moore:
He's a freshman that was recruited for an entirely different system. If he's willing to WORK I'd keep him. His main focus should be to bulk up and gain awareness. He looks completely lost on both ends of the court. With Davis, Morgan, Thompson, and hopefully Forrester getting minutes next season he'll have time to learn. He could definitely help in the future if he wants to work to get better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

On Moore:
He's a freshman that was recruited for an entirely different system. If he's willing to WORK I'd keep him. His main focus should be to bulk up and gain awareness. He looks completely lost on both ends of the court. With Davis, Morgan, Thompson, and hopefully Forrester getting minutes next season he'll have time to learn. He could definitely help in the future if he wants to work to get better.

As you say, he was recruited for a different role than CAM apparently has in mind for him. If he can reinvent himself, so to speak, and embrace a more physical inside out type of style, he has the potential to be very good. The physical tools are there if he wants it bad enough. If not, I hope he finds a situation that suits what he wants to do.