Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

Commendable job by the IUAD tonight

52 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought this was a really bad move by our administration but I'm not surprised.   I'm for free speech.  Let the students say what they want and if Izzo doesn't like it he can retire. 

Absolutely disagree.  There is a right way to do things, and allowing students to "say what they want" is not the right way.  This was not about their legal right.  It would not have been a crime to get into this situation.  It would have been completely classless and people should be - for the sake of human decency first of all - WAY above it.  

35 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lets be clear i am not advocating rape jokes etc. but i think a chant about Izzo retiring for his crimes would have been perfectly acceptable

It's a very slippery slope and unless there was a preplanned "time to go Izzo" chant, it could get out of hand very quickly.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Then you hold people accountable. But letting Izzo off easy is part of the problem

Help me understand.  You think chanting something about it would have been okay, and not doing so is letting him off easy??    And you think a chant that would have been a horrible look for our fans would have been "holding him accountable?" 

Come on, man.  We're better than that.  And if we're not, shame on us.  Having some sense of class and keeping our noses in our own business was absolutely the way to go.   Cheer for your team.   Heckle, but do it in a way that doesn't make our fans look like classless idiots.   We've all seen what that looks like, and I want no part of it.   What exactly are you saying?

4 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Help me understand.  You think chanting something about it would have been okay, and not doing so is letting him off easy??    And you think a chant that would have been a horrible look for our fans would have been "holding him accountable?" 

Come on, man.  We're better than that.  And if we're not, shame on us.  Having some sense of class and keeping our noses in our own business was absolutely the way to go.   Cheer for your team.   Heckle, but do it in a way that doesn't make our fans look like classless idiots.   We've all seen what that looks like, and I want no part of it.   What exactly are you saying?

I dont think chanting “Time to Retire” or something of the likes would be a horrible look for fans. 

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

It's a very slippery slope and unless there was a preplanned "time to go Izzo" chant, it could get out of hand very quickly.

I love when people mention “slippery slope” because it’s a textbook logical fallacy. Fans chanting that it’s time for Izzo to go does not mean that rape jokes are next... Not even close. 

Izzo is complicit in MSU’s crimes. No reason for our administration to provide him a pass. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Then you hold people accountable. But letting Izzo off easy is part of the problem

Izzo isn't being let off easy, at least not now. If he's still coaching there in two seasons we can make that argument. 

8 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love when people mention “slippery slope” because it’s a textbook logical fallacy. Fans chanting that it’s time for Izzo to go does not mean that rape jokes are next... Not even close. 

Izzo is complicit in MSU’s crimes. No reason for our administration to provide him a pass. 

You're giving too much credit to 19 year olds half drunk on a Saturday night game. If the students had free reign it would not have been a cordial "please leave" chant. These are the same kids who chant BS, sit down a-hole, and F-you ref. And we have generally classy students compared to the rest of the country. 

2 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

You're giving too much credit to 19 year olds on a Saturday night game. If the students had free reign it would not have been a cordial "please leave" chant. These are the same kids who chant BS, sit down a-hole, and F-you ref. And we have generally classy students compared to the rest of the country. 

I don’t think you’re giving them enough credit. 

29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There's zero reason for IU to get involved. It's not our place. All it would do is give the university negative publicity if the student section started chanting stuff relating to the scandal. Sending out that memo made IU look classy. It's not our problem, best for us to stay out of it and let the chips fall where they may. 

I don’t think you’re giving them enough credit. 

He is right on that. The cringe worthy chants have been amplifying over the last few years not just this one. It was enough for them to put this card out. Nothing more, nothing less. Our students have been doing that enough where some fans have complained. This isn’t something that came out of nowhere. It was a reminder that basketball is the story and not chants of F you Izzo. Like it or not that’s where this comes from. If our students chanted time to go Izzo or were expected to do that this card that probably cost the athletic department $50k to make for everyone isn’t made.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

He is right on that. The cringe worthy chants have been amplifying over the last few years not just this one. It was enough for them to put this card out. Nothing more, nothing less. Our students have been doing that enough where some fans have complained. This isn’t something that came out of nowhere. It was a reminder that basketball is the story and not chants of F you Izzo. Like it or not that’s where this comes from. If our students chanted time to go Izzo or were expected to do that this card that probably cost the athletic department $50k to make for everyone isn’t made.

agree.  but it would likely be more like $3K :) 

I don't really have a problem with what 'we' did and I wouldn't if we didn't.  I guess it's usually best to err on the side of good decorum.

That said, maybe MSU could do something about the location for the IU radio broadcasts - for decades you can hear all sorts of comments and insults from the fans right behind Fischer.  Back in the 80's you'd hear all sorts of verbal abuse over the broadcast, mostly directed at Knight.

Having given this some thought, I think this was handled correctly. Since the advent of social media, civility hasn't been a hallmark of society. Individuals in a face to face situation usually behave appropriately. In a somewhat anonymous, chemically altered, crowd things can go sideways pretty easily. And, we should probably make sure our house is in order before we take on someone else's. A report in the local media last week talked about a rising trend in sexual assaults on the IU campus. Disappointing to say the least.

10 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Exactly.  This is why I said the MSU situation gave Fred Glass the perfect reason to give this card out on Saturday.   Time to nip it.  

Have to wonder what precautions, if any, the IUAD is going to take when Maryland comes to town next weekend now that Durkin is expected to be back. It'll be Maryland's first road game since the decision.

Izzo and dantonio skated through as people were silenced and I assume Durkin will too.

Will make it nice and comfortable for him I’m sure