Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs O$U Game thread 1/30 7 pm

Comparing last season to this season is insane. Last year we started off with two top 5 wins and still lost to ipfw. We then tanked in conference as bad as this season and if we start winning it could be better. I would rather lose with these guys than that talented clown show last season. Juan improved dramatically everyone else is who they were. U aint winning with our guards period. If green has found something we may finish decent. Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Wait, there are actually people that think IU should've kept that guy?  And they're not locked in asylums?

To be clear, I think it has less to do with thinking Crean would be winning with these guys and more with thinking IU fans expect too much because "the program isn't elite and hasn't been in forever."

The fanbase is just treading water for now and people have to try to keep the enthusiasm going. Because the fanbase truly is what separates us as a program in cbb. Absolute chaos raining down in Assembly Hall. I get it, I'm tired of being in this constant spot. I think it took a lot out of everyone when we had Hulls and co. For 2 great back to back years. Everyone (most people at least) thought we finally turned the corner under Crean and it was ON like DK again. And yet, here we are again, a program that has fallen on its face AGAIN. It has to wear us down at some point. But, that's what's great about IU. It simply takes a few good recruits and we are right back on the map, with a big target on our back. Most of the country just chomping at the bit for us to lose while ranked top 5. That says it all there to me. We will forever carry that kind of clout with the CBB world

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Man most of that 2014 class... Woof. 

Emmitt Holt, No. 230 overall, No. 67 power forward
Max Hoetzel, No. 364 overall, No. 94 power forward
Jeremiah April, No. 410 overall, No. 44 center
Tim Priller, No. 436 overall, No. 107 power forward

Emmitt Holt was better than 12 points and 5 boards last year, playing over 27 minutes a game for a very good Providence team. He'll get a medical redshirt this season and have two more years of eligibility remaining. Holt was a legitimate find, and like OG, his low ranking is only due to the scouting services playing catch up.

Max Hoetzel/Montana has been a solid rotation piece for San Diego State. He's not a star, but you need to recruit bench depth, too. This year's team would certainly benefit with someone who is shooting over 36% from three on nearly five attempts per game. That number would lead our team, and he'd be second behind only Newkirk at 75% from the free-throw line.

There's no defense for Jeremiah April or Tim Priller.

Does anyone else hate this season? Like, legitimately hate where we are right now and what's happened to this point?

Purdue having an historically good season while we struggle.
OSU, with a first-year coach some of our fans wanted, out-performing us.
Illinois, with a first-year coach, sucking, but still beating us anyway.

Tom Crean, sitting in a cushy studio chair, regurgitating the same garbage we had to hear for 9 years while viewers eat it up. Speaking of which, has anyone else had the pleasure of hearing Crean supporters mouthing off about how we aren't any better for having dumped his sorry butt? I know a guy who, after every loss, is all like "boy, Archie sure has made a difference, hasn't he? The team is so much better, isn't it?"

I hate this season.
I hated last year and this one also. Of course last year I just wanted crean gone.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm shocked priller and april were even top 500 players.

To be clear, I think it has less to do with thinking Crean would be winning with these guys and more with thinking IU fans expect too much because "the program isn't elite and hasn't been in forever."
Thats what bib kravitz said. He just loved crean.

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Emmitt Holt was better than 12 points and 5 boards last year, playing over 27 minutes a game for a very good Providence team. He'll get a medical redshirt this season and have two more years of eligibility remaining. Holt was a legitimate find, and like OG, his low ranking is only due to the scouting services playing catch up.

Max Hoetzel/Montana has been a solid rotation piece for San Diego State. He's not a star, but you need to recruit bench depth, too. This year's team would certainly benefit with someone who is shooting over 36% from three on nearly five attempts per game. That number would lead our team, and he'd be second behind only Newkirk at 75% from the free-throw line.

There's no defense for Jeremiah April or Tim Priller.

Holt ended up being fine, but still. There's no excuse for a coach at IU to bring in a class that includes four players ranked out of the top 225. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Two main problems with Creans' rosters:

1) Getting players that should never have been recruited to IU (Priller, April, Bawa) to name a few. Recruiting was just too inconsistent with attracting top talent. 

2) Not compiling a balanced roster (no shooters, PG's, lack of bigs). No shooters in 2013 and then when Fischer transferred we didn't have any bigs. This year we have no scorers basically and are devoid of good ball-handlers and had no bigs outside of Davis. 

This is why we were so inconsistent year in and year out. There were only two rosters that seemed really well put together since his tenure. The 2012 team with Zeller, Oladipo, Sheehey, Yogi, Watford, Hulls and the 2015 roster with Yogi, Blackmon, Zeisloft, Bryant, Hartman, OG, Beidfeldt, Troy.  Other than that, it was a mixed bag of all sorts of parts.