Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs O$U Game thread 1/30 7 pm

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Really they were unhappy with his revruiting wasnt their a stong contingent to keep Ostrom to keep the recruits including wright

It sure was 

Obviously too early to judge, but Dayton fans complaining about recruiting?  Really? In only a few short months he has already signed a class better than any he had there.  Now he's in on real difference makers - players that would have never considered Dayton.  The proof will come when we find out if he can successfully recruit elite players, but that story is yet to be written.

1 hour ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

-  I can assure you, Archie did not forget how to coach. If we see this stuff in two years, then it's another story...

Good summary.  It's very disappointing that our seniors are failing to provide leadership...each had a chance this year to break out of the role-player mold.  I strongly believe that next year we'll turn a sharp corner in terms of attitude and we'll see several more wins as a result.  But short of Romeo coming I think we're two years away from Archie having his guys, with enough experience, to compete at the level of our expectations.   

Why does everyone say that CAM recruiting has been underwhelming? You do realize that so far he has landed 2 top 100 guys, the top 2 instate guys outside of Romeo, and a high upside athletic big. Not to mention we are right there for Romeo. So Stop It. He hasn't even been on the job a year yet. 
It's the cliff jumpers that are saying this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's the cliff jumpers that are saying this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't think there are any cliff jumpers. The people who climbed to the top of the cliff are still there. The people who were underwhelmed with the hire and the results are still on their plane.

That said, I've never complained about the recruiting.

Good summary.  It's very disappointing that our seniors are failing to provide leadership...each had a chance this year to break out of the role-player mold.  I strongly believe that next year we'll turn a sharp corner in terms of attitude and we'll see several more wins as a result.  But short of Romeo coming I think we're two years away from Archie having his guys, with enough experience, to compete at the level of our expectations.   

This continues a trend of FCTC. There were only 2 of his 9 teams that had any semblance of a senior leader. He constantly preached leadership but had no idea how to recruit or develop it.

If McBob and Morgan can step up next season it would go a long way in helping Phinisee, Anderson, and Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

53 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't think there are any cliff jumpers. The people who climbed to the top of the cliff are still there. The people who were underwhelmed with the hire and the results are still on their plane.

That said, I've never complained about the recruiting.

I think it's getting rather old regarding the underwhelmed folks saying told you so. I noticed this happens a lot during games that we are losing. It's freaking year 1. I'm sorry but it doesn't matter who is coaching this team. Coach K, Self, Izzo...doesn't matter. They would struggle. There are no shooters, no PG, one consistent scorer, no good bigs...it's a mess that Archie inherited.

Let's compare Archie to Holtman, Will Wade and the other new hires in year 3 once these guys have a chance to bring in their guys. Until then, it's unfair. 

2 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Why does everyone say that CAM recruiting has been underwhelming? You do realize that so far he has landed 2 top 100 guys, the top 2 instate guys outside of Romeo, and a high upside athletic big. Not to mention we are right there for Romeo. So Stop It. He hasn't even been on the job a year yet. 

I don't think anyone is saying he's bad recruiter.  He may turn out to be a great one.  But Sampson came in and landed 2 burger boys right off the bat.  Crean had 5 in 5 years at one point and he was a terrible coach who was also weird as sh!t.  Landing Romeo will shut everyone up for a while but make no mistake if we whiff on him then CAM absolutely must knock the 2019 class out of the park.

I think it's getting rather old regarding the underwhelmed folks saying told you so. I noticed this happens a lot during games that we are losing. It's freaking year 1. I'm sorry but it doesn't matter who is coaching this team. Coach K, Self, Izzo...doesn't matter. They would struggle. There are no shooters, no PG, one consistent scorer, no good bigs...it's a mess that Archie inherited.
Let's compare Archie to Holtman, Will Wade and the other new hires in year 3 once these guys have a chance to bring in their guys. Until then, it's unfair. 

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. As are those that disagree with you. Don't let the opinions of others wear you out so.

3 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Obviously too early to judge, but Dayton fans complaining about recruiting?  Really? In only a few short months he has already signed a class better than any he had there.  Now he's in on real difference makers - players that would have never considered Dayton.  The proof will come when we find out if he can successfully recruit elite players, but that story is yet to be written.

I agree.  And I'm not even sure elite players are necessary.  A good example is Villanova.  Just as long he's able to get his type of player he wants then I think (hope) us IU fans will be happy.  His current team on the court are playing way beyond their potential.  And if they manage to win eight games in the conference this year that's better than last year's three professional players on the roster team.

Last night's game was tough to watch.  36.4% from the field and that consistency of 55.6% at the charity stripe doesn't really bode well for any team.  Free throws.  If they can make their free throws the wins will come.  

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Winning solves everything. Losing creates unrest. Just win baby!

So true. Might need a little patience, though. 

It'd be nice if this year allows Archie to develop a real sense of the winning pieces he has to move forward with. Currently, I believe that those are Juwan, McBob (within his role), Justin Smith, and hopefully one or two out of: Race, Moore, a more mature DeVonte, and a "1,000 jump shots per day over the summer" Durham.

Add to that Phinissee, Hunter, etc, etc and THEN our patience will either be

1. Rewarded or
  2. Exhausted

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

and a "1,000 jump shots per day over the summer" Durham.

Not solely as it pertains to Durham, but do we have any posters who have real knowledge of just who is spending lots of time in the gym and really working to improve their game?

Second question also for any poster with real knowledge - why doesn't Moore see any action?

Don't want anyone who can answer the questions to put themselves in any jeopardy, but surely someone on this board can provide some degree of info on these 2 topics.  Much thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. As are those that disagree with you. Don't let the opinions of others wear you out so.

i'm not letting them wear me out. I think it's just unfair to be so critical right off the bat. You need to take a look at the product first and then the coach. Some people have it the other way around. 

5 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

To be fair, it was Dayton of all places.  And that's coming from a person that always thought the Miller hire was underwhelming.

He recruited Mckinley Wright and Antetenkoumpo.... Big Steve...... He did just fine @ Dayton.  

5 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

He recruited Mckinley Wright and Antetenkoumpo.... Big Steve...... He did just fine @ Dayton.  

Schootchie Smith too. And he got the transfer from Ohio State who was really good. Forgot his name. It's rare you see a coach bring in 4* and 5* talent to a program like Dayton. He had them in the tourney ever year. I doubt anyone was questioning the types of players he was bringing in. 

Schootchie Smith too. And he got the transfer from Ohio State who was really good. Forgot his name. It's rare you see a coach bring in 4* and 5* talent to a program like Dayton. He had them in the tourney ever year. I doubt anyone was questioning the types of players he was bringing in. 

Jordan Sibert

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

i'm not letting them wear me out. I think it's just unfair to be so critical right off the bat. You need to take a look at the product first and then the coach. Some people have it the other way around. 

Good to hear. Your previous post had a couple testy parts.