Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IU vs O$U Game thread 1/30 7 pm

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Defense has improved. Best defense I've seen in 9 years. 

Better half court offense and playing against the zone compared to the previous ten years as well.

We have no reliable shooters and only one player we can count on every night. This team is what it is. There are enough pieces there between Morgan, Johnson, Green, and Hartman to make noise if they all go off on the same night, but it's wishful thinking, and the ship has likely sailed on anything remotely noteworthy to write about this season. It's tough to be patient, but we have a good group coming in that will set the foundation for Miller's tenure. Every coach has to work with what he's got. Miller has a subpar roster. 

2 hours ago, reconmkd said:

I like how the sky is falling and IU is going to be a bottom dweller forever after a game that we were expected to lose!emoji849.png I mean really people I don't think their is a coach is the world that could get this team to perform consistently! I for one am happy at the progress that Archie has made with the players that are still teachable! I mean think about how difficult it would be to take team that has never put any effort or had any accountability on defense and get them to where they are now. In the last 10 years have we EVER played defense, had a successful inbounds play, beat a zone defense, or executed any type of half court offense that didn't involve excessive dribbling or a shot clock violation or chucking a contested 3!
I just can't see how people are not seeing any progress! We have a roster full of role players, followers, non D1 players, and JMo. Although I want them to win every time they take the court, this year I knew I had to come to reality and lower my expectations. I see us getting a NIT invite and potentially winning a game or a few games which is "better" than last year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

remember you have to finish .500 or better overall to get an NIT bid. i don't see it happening.

The usual tonight: Good Defense—Horrible Offense. It is hard to beat any Big Ten team if you can’t shoot the ball—including free throws. Keep working Hoosiers. There is still time to salvage a respectable season....

5 games in 12 days. 3 straight against top 20 teams....woof. The Illinois loss stings even more now. 

I expect they'll bounce back and play MSU close for most of the game, similar to Duke/Purdue. Just don't think this IU team has enough firepower to get over the top.

Our team is really bad. Yuck. This has been going on far too long. Fire Fred Glass.

It's also frustrating that we were whooped by a first year coach that will probably win Big Ten COY after winning Big East COY last year.

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

Our team is really bad. Yuck. This has been going on far too long. Fire Fred Glass.

It's also frustrating that we were whooped by a first year coach that will probably win Big Ten COY after winning Big East COY last year.

I get the frustration, but I'm not ready to say that CAM was a bad hire (I'm assuming that was what you meant by "Fire Fred Glass"). I mean, how many times did Crean win COY?

Say what you will about what each coach inherited, but I look at O$U's roster and compare it to ours and I wonder how many of our guys would start on that team? How many would even see significant PT? To me, it's more indicative of how far Matta had lost his team (ditto with Crean).

I'm not saying at all that Holtmann hasn't done a great job - he definitely has. I'm just not willing to say that CAM was a bad hire. Perception is a funny thing. We'll see what the perception is in a couple years. Holtmann is definitely better this year. You could probably make the argument that he has done a better job of adapting his style to the strengths of his team, where CAM is set on imposing his style.

I think CAM believes that once his method is learned, it will consistently produce the desired results, but it will take a while to get it ingrained into the players. I guess we won't know until he has a chance to get it there. Personally, I think he will.

Holtmann has done a fantastic job and I personally feel now and felt at the time he was a great hire. OSU has always been at their best when they can recruit Indiana. He has good relationships. I hope he does well there.

13 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

- We're a poor shooting team. Johnson is the only guy on the team who played last night who has ever been considered a good jump shooter (and he's not shooting well this year.) Everyone else ranges from streaky to poor. When you don't have players who can hit shots with any regularity, you shoot 30% from 3 for the season. I can't blame the coaches. They're getting them open looks. But Archie can't put the ball in the hoop for them. Question for anyone... who do we run offensive plays for outside of Morgan and Johnson? What is the staff supposed to do here? And what happens when Johnson doesn't show up on offense?

Well, we ran one for Al Durham at the end of the game.

BihlGpL.gif

12 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Of all the gloom and doom posts on this thread i have been able to stay positive but this post of stats scares me cause i have that thing in the back of my mind thinking archie could be part of the shooting problem. Still holding out hope it is a coincidence

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, those numbers were not good.

44 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

To be fair, it was Dayton of all places.  And that's coming from a person that always thought the Miller hire was underwhelming.

What's gone down at LSU and Vandy hasn't been normal so I'm not sure that's the best example. But they are in the $EC after all.