Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Purdue at IU Game Thread

Something I hadn't really thought about in regards to our current severely limited roster is this: looking at our sophomores and freshmen, we went two full recruiting classes without one single impact type player.  In retrospect, this isn't a ground-up rebuild for Archie, but not far from it. 

Beyond Juwan, we really need an upgrade in every facet of the roster.  The more this sinks in, the more optimistic I am about our coaching situation.  Archie may not be able to draw in multiple 5 stars for a while as it seems many of those will be picked up by the current group of elite coaches or some newer coaches that don't pass the smell test with their recruiting methods.  The one advantage I hope he'll be able to exploit is being located in one of the most fertile regions in America for basketball talent.  I have little doubt Archie will get us there, it just may not be as soon as we want (although still possible).

8 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

We need more guards. We lose our best shooter Johnson. Having green and Durham as main players next year doesn't excite me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Agreed. But we, and I'm definitely including myself, talk about what the team needs as if CAM needs our advice. I imagine no one is more aware of the team's deficiencies than he is.

11 hours ago, Aaron said:

Don't think that is gonna happen unfortunately. Painter loves his bigs and they already have another 6-10 guy recruited for next year to back up Haarms who is only a freshman. It sucks for other teams but Painter playing through his big men is what works for him so can't fault that. He also is a whiz with developing big men so they like playing for him. Just gotta play through it and try to beat them other ways which is something Crean failed at big time and hopefully Archie will not.  

Following Keady's formula with the big centers.  Not always the most athletic and graceful (Rowinski) but bangers and wide bodies who took up lots of space in the paint.

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

Agreed. But we, and I'm definitely including myself, talk about what the team needs as if CAM needs our advice. I imagine no one is more aware of the team's deficiencies than he is.

100%.  He also has a guage on things we have no clue about like what current players are unhappy, how interested various recruits are, etc.  It seemed FCTC just went out and made a decision on whether he liked a kid or not, tossed an offer if he did, then moved on to the next one - all without regard to building a team that fit his vision.  Archie knows what he's doing, knows how to go about it, and has the staff to get the job done.

8 minutes ago, Josh said:

It was a very disappointing loss, but I'll give Archie credit for giving us a chance to win. I gave him hell after our 4 embarrassing losses, I'll also hive him credit when he does well.

I can't wait to laugh at Purdoo when they lose in the Sweet 16 this year lol

They have a pretty favorable B1G schedule, only playing MSU and OSU once each. They are good, but there are plenty of teams that can match their size and are more athletic.

OK, I'm now able to comment about this game, albeit I'm slowly recovering from that tough pill I swallowed.  

I thought IU played a decent game overall.  They just played a really really good team to the wire.  If this team can just get better at free throws they have a really good chance to finish above .500 in conference play.  In my opinion, finishing above .500 is a very successful season with this team.  These kids are giving it their all and I really like what I'm seeing with the overall progression.  Now if they can somehow find a way to finish, along with improving their free throw shots, I think they actually can make a legitimate run in the B1G tournament.  And if they can do all that starting tonight at OSU they may actually have a legitimate shot of getting an at-large bid to the dance.  Highly unlikely but the potential is there and this team is playing way above its potential.  That's a credit to the team from top to bottom.  I'm seeing a lot of good things.  A lot.