Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) SG Colson Montgomery

Southridge sectional ranking

WASHINGTON
SECT.
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH  RANK  
RECENT
  RATING   RANK
GOLDEN MEAN 
  RATING   RANK
 1   61   Princeton   79.34   63.06   187   78.01   75   78.40   73 
 2   91   Southridge   75.53   65.15   164   79.06   67   75.23   93 
 3   116   Washington   72.60   64.07   177   70.18   134   72.93   114 
 4   208   Vincennes Lincoln   62.55   69.00   122   60.01   225   62.52   206 
 5   236   Sullivan   60.08   56.94   291   58.91   232   60.54   233 
 6   362   Pike Central   43.11   61.73   206   41.91   359   43.00   360

Jody Demling - 247Sports

Already holding a scholarship offer to play baseball at the University of Louisville, Huntingburg, Ind., Southridge High School three-sport star Colson Montgomery made the short trip to visit U of L’s basketball staff last week.

The 6-foot-4 Montgomery, a prospect in the Class of 2021, was one of six basketball recruits at the Duke game on Tuesday night.  And Montgomery had a ball.

“The visit was great and there are great people at Louisville,” Montgomery told Cardinal Authority. “The atmosphere was crazy. I liked that a lot I loved how the fans were always on their feet and I thought the team played good all the way up to when everything kinda fell apart.

“It was tough but it seemed to me like they were trying not to lose which you can’t do that in the game of basketball.”

After the game, Montgomery had a chance to speak with the U of L basketball staff. He said the coaches told him they are “very interested” in him and would be following him this spring and summer on the AAU trail.  They’re going to stay in touch for sure,” he said.

Montgomery is a shortstop in baseball and Louisville was his first offer. He said he also has an (baseball) offer from Indiana but he’s not worried about college.

“I haven’t listened to any other college I’m just focusing on playing the game and doing my best in each sport,” he said. “I don’t have any basketball offers once again I’m not listening to any or anything like that, just playing the game.”

In basketball, Montgomery is averaging 20.3 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.2 assists a game and is shooting 40 percent from three-point range. In football, Montgomery threw for 1,048 yards and 13 touchdowns with just three interceptions and led Southridge to the semi-state.

He was a member of the Southridge football team that won a state title last season and basketball team that won its first sectional title since 2007.

In an interview with Drew Davis of Peegs.com last weekend, Southridge coach Mark Rohrer said the sky is the limit for Montgomery.

“Whatever he ends up wanting to play, maybe even two things at the next level honestly,” Rohrer said. “We want him to play multiple sports while he’s in high school, but whenever he focuses in on whichever one he wants, he’s just going to be off the charts good. That’s why I think his ceiling is so high still just as a sophomore and committing as much time as he does to all the sports.”

According to the rankings, Montgomery appears to be at his best on a baseball diamond.

“I definitely think he could be a high major basketball player as well as a high major quarterback if you watch him play football,” Rohrer told Peegs. “He’s got all the characteristics of a kid that could be a really good player at the next level plus he’s just an all-around great kid. He’s a humble kid, he’s got the right mindset, he’s a great teammate, and obviously he’s just an unbelievable basketball player too.”

Montgomery said he will wait until his junior year to worry about colleges and his recruitment.

Throughout the season, the Southridge boys basketball team has prided itself on its defensive tenacity.

For the 10th time this season, the Raiders held their opponent to under 40 points as they defeated Boonville 53-33 to end the regular season on a nine-game winning streak.

Southridge head coach Mark Rohrer has been so impressed with how the Raiders have been able to play a very tough, physical brand of basketball without getting key players having to sit for large amounts of time due to fouls.

“Knowing that we usually just roll with the five or six man (rotation), I’m impressed with how we never seem to get into foul trouble — knock on wood for the tournament,” Rohrer said with a laugh. “They just play so hard and smart defensively and they understand their roles. The fact that they’re crazy athletic is just the icing on the cake, it’s a lethal combination to be quite honest.”

While the Raiders (18-5) held just an eight-point advantage at the halftime break, the third quarter was the big turning point as Southridge held the Pioneers (5-18) to just nine points.

Not only was Southridge’s defense on point, they also flexed their offensive muscle as senior guard Joe LaGrange scored 11 points in the quarter on the team’s Senior Night.

“I didn’t shoot very well in the first half and we were kind of struggling to score and get things going,” LaGrange said. “I just looked to make things happen and my teammates did a great job of getting me the ball in great spots.”

Both the Pioneers and Raiders exchanged buckets to start the game with senior forward Jaden Hayes scoring seven early points for Southridge.

But the Raiders saw an extreme momentum swing midway through the first quarter when junior forward Garrett Voegerl threw down a massive dunk that had Huntingburg Memorial Gym hype.

Southridge held a 12-5 lead at the end of the first quarter but Boonville wasn’t going away quietly. The Pioneers trimmed the lead to three early in the quarter but buckets from Hayes and sophomore forward Colson Montgomery pushed Southridge ahead 22-14 at the break.

As mentioned earlier, the third quarter is when things really started to get rolling for the Raiders. LaGrange knocked down shot after shot while Montgomery slowly but surely found his way into double-digits in the scoring column.

While Montgomery helped push the Raiders to a 39-23 lead at the end of the third quarter, he had some more tricks up his sleeve for the final stanza. Montgomery threw down two massive dunks in the fourth quarter as Southridge’s athleticism continued to wear Boonville down.

Southridge’s Joe LaGrange attempts a layup during Friday's boys basketball game in Huntingburg. The Raiders had big performances from their seniors on the team's senior night — LaGrange finished with 13 points (11 in the third quarter) while Jaden Hayes scored 14 points and Matt Price had a plethora of assists. 

“We’re all just extremely athletic,” Montgomery said. “We’ve all finally gotten the concept of playing together and everything is starting to come together at the right time.”

The Raiders finished off the 53-33 victory with strong play from several individuals — Colson Montgomery led all scorers with 22 points while it was also a big night for the three seniors. Jaden Hayes finished with 14 points, Joe LaGrange totaled 13 points and Matt Price racked up a boatload of assists.

Even though Rohrer has only worked with this group of seniors for one year, he is well aware of what they’ve brought to the program — and hopefully, the impact they’ll have in the Raiders postseason run.

“I’ve just got this feeling that these guys are going to play so well in the tournament,” said Rohrer about the seniors. “I’ve been really blessed to have these three guys not just this year but in the future. They’ll help mold some of the younger guys and show them how to do things. I want them to think short-term for now but I know long term, they’re going to have a lasting impact.”

The Raiders will begin their postseason play on Tuesday evening at Washington as they’ll face Sullivan (12-12) in the first round.

With a nine-game winning streak, the Raiders are hoping to use the consecutive wins as momentum going forward.

“Having a nine-game winning streak heading into the tournament is huge for our confidence,” Montgomery said. “Our coaches always told us that they wanted us to face some adversity so we’d be motivated but we’re all just so ready for Tuesday night.”

Southridge advances.

When high school basketball reaches the postseason, teams take it one game at a time, one day at a time.

A win means a team advances; a loss ends the season.

For Southridge, Tuesday night’s 49-44 victory over Sullivan in the first round of the Washington sectional ensured the Raiders would get to do something today— practice.

“[Sullivan] gave us all we could handle,” Southridge coach Mark Rohrer observed after the hard-fought outcome that was in doubt until the final seconds. “I’m really proud of our guys so that we are able to practice tomorrow.”

The victory was the 16th in the last 17 games for the Raiders, and the 10th in a row, and sends Southridge to the Class 3A sectional semifinals against Princeton at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Washington.

For much of the game’s first two quarters, it looked as if the Raiders (19-5) would be the victim of a first-round upset to the Golden Arrows, who had lost as many games as they had won.

Sullivan opened the scoring with the first of four consecutive three-pointers by Jackson Shake to stake the Golden Arrows to a 12-10 advantage by the end of the first quarter. But the Raiders kept it close in the opening quarter with close-in buckets by Jaden Hayes, Colson Montgomery and Garrett Voegerl, followed by a three-pointer by Hayes and a free throw by Montgomery.

To Southridge’s credit, the Raiders kept Kevin Figg in check throughout the first half with no shot attempts in the first quarter and a meager 1 of 4 in the second stanza. Figg, who was averaging 20.7 points coming into the game, was never a factor, finishing with seven points on 3-of-9 shooting before fouling out late in the game.

Sullivan’s scoring punch continued in the second quarter to forge a 20-10 advantage five minutes before intermission on four point-blank baskets. But trailing a 21-12 count, the Raiders went on a 15-0 run to end the quarter and begin the third period for a 27-21 lead.

During the run, Joe LaGrange and Montgomery hit two buckets apiece to pull the Raiders to within 21-20 at the break, then LaGrange and Voegerl teamed for the six-point advantage. The teams matched each other for the remainder of the period, and Southridge owned a 35-29 cushion headed into the fourth frame.

Just when it looked as if the Raiders would put the game away with their biggest lead of the game at 40-32 on field goals and free throws by Montgomery and LaGrange, Sullivan (12-13) employed a full-court press which resulted in three layups and a three-pointer to pull to within 42-41 with 1:30 remaining.

Southridge senior Logan Seger reacts to a play on the court during Tuesday's class 3A boys basketball sectional in Washington. For more photos from the game, click here.

From there, it was a parade to the charity stripe for the Raiders, who got free throws from LaGrange, Montgomery and Matt Price to offset a Sullivan three-pointer 13 seconds before the end.

“That’s the definition of the cliche, survive and advance,” a spent Rohrer summarized. “Sullivan came out and played a heckuva basketball game early, [with] Shake making four threes in the first quarter. They came out and really punched us in the mouth again to start the second.”

But Rohrer knows his team’s capabilities.

“We’re a basketball team that’s just really mentally tough, physically tough. Our guys just really gutted that one out tonight from a physical and mental standpoint. It’s tough to win sectional basketball games, especially in southwest Indiana,” Rohrer said.

Heading into the contest, many would have expected a shootout between top scorers Figg and Montgomery, who entered the postseason averaging 21.5 points. But Southridge employed a tag-team defensive strategy of Voegerl and Hayes to hold Figg to single digits, and Montgomery had only three points in the game’s first 12 minutes before finishing with 15.

“I thought the way they guarded us just threw us a little bit, and we made a few adjustments on how we wanted to go against [the zone defense],” Rohrer said. “There in the third quarter, we got Joe LaGrange in some good spots to where he was scoring pretty easily.” LaGrange finished with a game-high 17 points. “When they were really doing a good job of taking away Colson, we had other guys step up.”

While Rohrer was surprised Figg tallied only three buckets on the night, he noted that limiting an opponent’s main weapons is a hallmark of the Raider defense.

“That’s what we do defensively in terms of we want to take away the other team’s go-to guys. Our guys are smart about executing what we tell them to do on the game plan. That was so evident on the last charge that Garrett Voegerl took on Figg. We knew that was kind of his go-to move, and he sat on it and did a great job of holding his ground and taking [the charge].”

While dispatching of the Golden Arrows was not an easy chore, Rohrer expects an even greater challenge when Southridge takes the floor against Princeton Friday.

“[It will be] a war. Those guys are really good; they’re physical. We’re going to need 32 minutes of our best basketball to come away with a win,” Rohrer predicted. “It’s going to be a matchup between two really good basketball teams. I’m hoping we find ourselves in the game near the end and we’re able execute at the finish and move on to Saturday.”