Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Shooting vs Strength Training

This may not be a popular take but I've seen it too many times in the past 10 years when it comes to shooting.  It seems like our Freshman and Sophomores get worse in shooting as the year progresses.  In my opinion I feel this is due to the Strength program.  I really feel the Strength part of our program should primarily take place in the summer time.  During the season maybe some light weights just to keep the muscle tone where it is but I feel the increase in strength, especially arm strength is killing our shooting.  Durham went from hitting 3's at a good clip in the first few games to not being able to hit the rim.  I saw it with Yogi his frehsman and sophomore year.  Others players that I have seen a similar trend with in the past have been players like Johnson, Robinson, Ethrington, Hartman, Hoetzel, Shehee, and even Blackmon his sophomore year among others.  I don't have any facts handy to support these claims, other than the fact that I know when I was in high school and we were doing strength training for basketball, my shot was terrible but afterwards it came back to the pure shooter that I was.  Luckily we only did strength during the summer and none during the season.  The pre-season and beginning of the year was all about conditioning. 

Do the players have any say in their strength and conditioning program? 

Is it predetermined by the CAM or the strength coach?

Other thoughts?

It could also be that we're playing better competition? You could see the shift with Durham as soon as we started playing better teams. He's been in there mostly to hand the ball off or feed the post. I would say it's as much confidence as it is strength training.

This season we're just a bad shooting team. Although Johnson has started to find his touch recently.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If you look at how college basketball players looked physically in the 60's and 70's compared to today you will see a dramatic difference. Weight training has changed the game and there is no going back. The degree to which it affects shooting, I have no idea. But as long as we have to compete against teams like MSU, physical bullies by any other name, we have to play the same game. I don't necessarily like it, but that's the way it is.

In-season they likely aren't in a pure strength block anyhow, avoiding the high intensity work. With as many hours as they're putting in on the court and the importance of recovery time between games, they're likely just maintaining strength and doing some additional sport specific exercises.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Weight training should be done consistently regardless of in season or out of season. Archie agrees. They should all be lifting heavily, as well. Not maxing out.. but that light weight stuff is for the birds. 

I respectfully disagree to an extent.  It's not light or heavy that matters most.  It's a gradual path to each unique individual's desired end state.  I always suspected that under Crean's various strength and conditioning coaches we saw unnecessary injuries due to overly intensive off-season body-building sessions.  

9 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

In-season they likely aren't in a pure strength block anyhow, avoiding the high intensity work. With as many hours as they're putting in on the court and the importance of recovery time between games, they're likely just maintaining strength and doing some additional sport specific exercises.

I would agree

Just now, triple said:

I respectfully disagree to an extent.  It's not light or heavy that matters most.  It's a gradual path to each unique individual's desired end state.  I always suspected that under Crean's various strength and conditioning coaches we saw unnecessary injuries due to overly intensive off-season body-building sessions.  

Lifting prevents injury, not encourages it. 

When you first start lifting hard it can definitely affect your shot but once you get in the groove and you continue a normal lifting schedule for a few weeks your body adjusts and you tend to get your shot back to normal. That was my experience in high school at least, we had to lift everyday throughout the school year for football and it never really messed with my shot on the court

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Lifting prevents injury, not encourages it. 

True when you are talking about a well designed and paced lifting program.  Not true if it pushes the body too far too fast.  

It's a completely old school mentality that weight training somehow negatively impacts shooting. As long as you're shooting in conjunction, then weight training is great for shooting. Every college program, NBA organization, and the vast majority of high school programs lift weights during the season. Are we to assume all of these professionals don't know what they're doing?

Yes, if you go on a lifting binge for weeks at a time and never pick up a basketball, then it can impact your shot. But if you're working with the ball in conjunction with strength training, which every basketball player is doing, then it's great for your performance and shooting. 

Heck, MJ used to lift hard on game days. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's a completely old school mentality that weight training somehow negatively impacts shooting. As long as you're shooting in conjunction, then weight training is great for shooting. Every college program, NBA organization, and the vast majority of high school programs lift weights during the season. Are we to assume all of these professionals don't know what they're doing?

Yes, if you go on a lifting binge for weeks at a time and never pick up a basketball, then it can impact your shot. But if you're working with the ball in conjunction with strength training, which every basketball player is doing, then it's great for your performance and shooting. 

Heck, MJ used to lift hard on game days. 

Yuuuuuup. Especially with the coaching and tools at their disposal.