Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

On 4/26/2018 at 8:16 AM, Beachfront Property said:

Brian Snow crystal balled Carton to Michigan.

A reminder:  Brian Snow never picks anybody to IU until we have already known for a month the recruit is coming to IU.  Always way under on IU, and always way over on Ohio State.  Always.  Ever since he started in the biz.

Get DJ in for a visit when he can hang out and play with our incoming freshmen.  I think he is probably going to have a blast at the same time he compiles a great amount of knowledge.

Archie seems to go after not only guys who are really good, but they also seem to be having a lot of fun playing the game.  Not goof off fun.  Good competitive fight and win fun.  Working hard not because it is a chore that must be done, but because this is where they want to be almost all the time.

6 hours ago, schoosier said:

He may not have the size, but he brings a Quinn Buckner type physicality with a better shot. This kid can play.

Ehh he’s 6’1 180. That’s pretty good size for a point

10 hours ago, hoosierpap said:

IU has a shot with a few rising PG's in this class, and they need one. Granted, UM and OSU are out in front here but it's important to get this cut. This puts IU in a position to land an OV which can change the whole thing. Also important bc the "big boys" are out at this point.

Idk i think i see one big boy there....

Zagsblog -  http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/05/11/d-j-carton-trims-list-to-six-talks-recruitment/

Indiana: “I feel like Indiana has made me a big priority. I feel like they really expressed their interest all along when they’ve been recruiting me. Coach Archie [Miller] and coach [Tom] Ostrum have talked to me a lot. I feel like they’ve done a good job of building a different environment there. They have good days coming in the future. I talk to them almost on a daily basis and stuff.”

Carton also believes the addition of Romeo Langford “definitely gets them more interest from 2019 players because everybody wants to play with a good player. I feel like that team’s got a lot of good things in the future and is starting to build a winning culture, so I really like the way they’re going.”

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Zagsblog -  http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/05/11/d-j-carton-trims-list-to-six-talks-recruitment/

Indiana: “I feel like Indiana has made me a big priority. I feel like they really expressed their interest all along when they’ve been recruiting me. Coach Archie [Miller] and coach [Tom] Ostrum have talked to me a lot. I feel like they’ve done a good job of building a different environment there. They have good days coming in the future. I talk to them almost on a daily basis and stuff.”

Carton also believes the addition of Romeo Langford “definitely gets them more interest from 2019 players because everybody wants to play with a good player. I feel like that team’s got a lot of good things in the future and is starting to build a winning culture, so I really like the way they’re going.”

That's not the first time people have said this.

Carton would be a great addition.  If we were to be able to land Carton with Phinisee I'd feel there isn't much this staff can't do on the recruiting aspect of building the program.

Having RP,  a 6'1" freshman point guard who is perceived to be the heir apparent to the primary pg role for the next four years, may be a real impediment to getting another 6'1" point guard from the next class.

Michigan has Simpson, who will be a junior next year. That's a more attractive scenario to Carton I would assume.

Carton can foresee overlapping with Simpson only one year, and overlapping with RP three years.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Having RP,  a 6'1" freshman point guard who is perceived to be the heir apparent to the primary pg role for the next four years, may be a real impediment to getting another 6'1" point guard from the next class.

Michigan has Simpson, who will be a junior next year. That's a more attractive scenario to Carton I would assume.

Carton can foresee overlapping with Simpson only one year, and overlapping with RP three years.

IMO, they can co-exist. IU is hell-bent on taking a guard in this class, so they're selling it.

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is my fear.  I could see them coexist too with each getting 25+ minutes.  20 each as the primary pg and 5-8 mpg on the court at the same time.  It could get complicated if each want to be known as THE point guard of their team though.

21 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is my fear.  I could see them coexist too with each getting 25+ minutes.  20 each as the primary pg and 5-8 mpg on the court at the same time.  It could get complicated if each want to be known as THE point guard of their team though.

I think the reasonable expectation is that a good young point guard gets 15 minutes + or so as a freshman on a top 25 team, and then transitions into the starter and end of game point guard at 25-30 minutes per game. 

Harder to see how two pure point guards could get to that, though I suppose it could be sold as "best five will finish the game no matter what position they play."