Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

3 hours ago, JHoosier914 said:

I might be in minority BUT I’m content not taking a PG for a couple years if he’s not the right fit for us. I know nothing is set in terms of future success, but if DG, Al and RP can take us into the next couple years, no reason to think we can’t go after a stud PG in ‘21.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agree, but I was told when I said the exact same thing that 'we only have one point guard on our roster'.

11 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Archie was a high level PG in college, by far the best basketball player of the three coaches recruiting Carton. You would think he could land a high level PG. Not yet.

You’re kidding right? Phinisee considers himself a facilitator and still averaged 30 PPG his senior year. Frankly, I just don’t see what everyone else is seeing with Carton and I don’t think he’d beat out Phinisee for the starting role next year.

Well this was unexpected.. And people are questioning the Archie hire? Get outta here with that. You must not be paying attention to what else is going on in this recruiting cycle. No offense to Carton, he looks like he’ll be a great player, but I think there are bigger fish to fry in-state.

18 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Holtmann just beat out Archie for a five star recruit and is coming off of a good season. It is not unreasonable to ask if we hired the right coach.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Posts like this are why I visit this board less than I used to in the offseason.

Nothing personal, I enjoy your posts and insight TheWatShot.  But if posts like that affect you so much, maybe you need thicker skin.

This board is 99.9% Archie worshippers.  Posts like Iugradman's are less than 1% of this board.  

There are some of us who don't think it's crazy to talk about wanting to see better results on the court before giving blind love to Archie.  Yet when we post something about it, we get destroyed by the board.

Don't get me wrong, this is still the best IU message board that I know of.  It's got great posters and a great mod team.  But no doubt it's extremely Archie friendly to the point that other thoughts are ridiculed.

To the point of this recruitment and it's result, it's no big deal to me.  When you're recruiting high level players, you recruit with other great schools.  Nobody gets everybody they want.  Good luck to DJ, go Hoosiers!

10 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

This is part of what is wrong with society, people refusing to acknowledge or consider opinions outside of their own and staying in their “safe space” lest they hear/see/read something upsetting. Society needs to grow some balls and stop getting so triggered.

My opinion?

i hate the terms “triggered” and “safe space.” Ick.

On the other hand I am perfectly fine with an anti (or “less pro”) Archie post.

I am also perfectly fine with the counter-arguments to that anti-Archie post.

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Agree, but I was told when I said the exact same thing that 'we only have one point guard on our roster'.

I said that and I stand by it.  I'm not sold on Durham, and the occasional flashy pass aside Green just isn't that good and has a basketball IQ in the negatives.  I'm not comfortable with the point guard situation this year at all, the only one is a freshman and one of the other two 'options' is already giving me nightmares.

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

These are the kind of posts that bother me the most. (I love Hova and his posting style normally). But this takes things to a personal level and uses a strong connotation words like ignorant and BS.

IUgradman might be the king of hottakes and roller coaster reactions but he is rarely (correct me if I’m wrong) offensive towards posters.

I know when I was on 247 and here early on, I was worried about Crean far more than most. My posts were gang style attacked whenever I was pessimistic about things that I was seeing. It went on for about 3 years and was quite frustrating. The same 5-10 people would attack my stances and often in a personal way.

I’d rather have “ignorant” takes than confrontational/personal posts.

As far as Archie. I like what I see so far. All signs are pointing up, and you can tell by my posting I am content with his coaching and recruiting efforts thus far. I’m also super impressed and surprised by Holtman. I think Walking Boot said it best that it looks like both teams got great coaches. This Holtman/Archie debate is fun now IMO and will be interesting to follow over time. I also think it’s fair for posters to worry about things even if it’s unreasonable. We should try to explain to these posters why there isn’t reason to worry or why there is, versus attacking them personally.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hottakes require some semblence of evidence/truth and don't need to be repeated on an endless loop. The posts that annoy me the most are the ones that seem to be on a automated schedule to the point that I can predict when and what will be posted.

Hottakes require some semblence of evidence/truth and don't need to be repeated on an endless loop. The posts that annoy me the most are the ones that seem to be on a automated schedule to the point that I can predict when and what will be posted.

That’s fair for sure. I’m able to scroll and ignore the repetitious stuff and it doesn’t bother me as much as others. Personal attacks shouldn’t happen though, and they tend to happen to all those that question our programs.

I like the levelheaded debate surrounding these issues when it’s not personal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know when I was on 247 and here early on, I was worried about Crean far more than most. My posts were gang style attacked whenever I was pessimistic about things that was seeing. It went on for about 3 years and was quite frustrating. The same 5-10 people would attack my stances and often in a personal way.”

I know exactly how you felt and this got worse as others finally realized the obvious. Crean could not coach. It has gotten better but and hope it always stays non personal. It was like the Wild West there for a few as some remember.

3 hours ago, Iugradman said:

This is part of what is wrong with society, people refusing to acknowledge or consider opinions outside of their own and staying in their “safe space” lest they hear/see/read something upsetting. Society needs to grow some balls and stop getting so triggered.

Sorry, but no.  When people start throwing around catch phrases like ‘safe space’ and ‘triggered’, then I have doubts about them really being on a message board to offer anything constructive.  It’s not about ‘growing balls’.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I said that and I stand by it.  I'm not sold on Durham, and the occasional flashy pass aside Green just isn't that good and has a basketball IQ in the negatives.  I'm not comfortable with the point guard situation this year at all, the only one is a freshman and one of the other two 'options' is already giving me nightmares.

Comfortable or not, all three will be getting playing time there this year and I’m comfortable that in for the 2019-20 season that it would not be the end of the world if we didn’t bring in another point. I’m more concerned about bringing in a shooting guard to replace Romeo.