Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

9 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Archie was a high level PG in college, by far the best basketball player of the three coaches recruiting Carton. You would think he could land a high level PG. Not yet.

I’m a gonna tell Old Friend that you are trashing Phinisee!

Mods; stand by for a good ol online fist fight if that happens!  :)

6 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

We got in good with him pretty quickly, but I never thought we were going to get him.  Can't win 'em all.

I just hope this doesn't help OSU with TJD.  Can't lose 5* in-state guys to B1G teams anymore.

Absolutely right. IU needs to get the 5* in-state recruits before anyone else. Keion and TJD are the most important recruits in the 2019 class

2 hours ago, Iugradman said:

Holtmann just beat out Archie for a five star recruit and is coming off of a good season. It is not unreasonable to ask if we hired the right coach.

Miller beat Kansas and Bill Self for a 5* not that long ago.  And that's coming from a guy that liked Holtmann more than Miller, although I wanted to see more out of both.

Just saw an interesting post on the Iowa board from someone claiming to be local to the decision:

That OSU has been in the lead for quite a while, primarily due to their roster situation.

That IU and UM made up ground, but not enough.

Archie was a high level PG in college, by far the best basketball player of the three coaches recruiting Carton. You would think he could land a high level PG. Not yet.

Would you like to run down the list of former players both at the collegiate and NBA level that didn’t inevitably become great coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Just saw an interesting post on the Iowa board from someone claiming to be local to the decision:

That OSU has been in the lead for quite a while, primarily due to their roster situation.

That IU and UM made up ground, but not enough.

Always made the most sense to me tbh

30 minutes ago, FraneT said:

Follow both programs fairly closely and I am fairly sure IU does not have to worry about TJD. OSU has pretty much locked up PF EJ Liddell and with his commitment, their scholarships will be minimal. Still think TJD is a lock to IU.

And with but a single click on Submit Reply you've become a veteran poster.  Welcome aboard.

56 minutes ago, FraneT said:

Follow both programs fairly closely and I am fairly sure IU does not have to worry about TJD. OSU has pretty much locked up PF EJ Liddell and with his commitment, their scholarships will be minimal. Still think TJD is a lock to IU.

It does seem that way

Struck out on point guard this year and not really recruiting one for the next class is it wise to wait 3 years to sign another?

No, that is a Crean move and hope Archie continues to pursue a PG and a top one at that.

We need to have balance and depth at each position

I might be in minority BUT I’m content not taking a PG for a couple years if he’s not the right fit for us. I know nothing is set in terms of future success, but if DG, Al and RP can take us into the next couple years, no reason to think we can’t go after a stud PG in ‘21.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Well, I’m not gonna go dig through the threads for it, but it was there when we were looking like crap early on losing to FW and ISU and OSU was kicking butt.

I second this, definitely remember people on this site and others saying this

1 hour ago, JHoosier914 said:

I might be in minority BUT I’m content not taking a PG for a couple years if he’s not the right fit for us. I know nothing is set in terms of future success, but if DG, Al and RP can take us into the next couple years, no reason to think we can’t go after a stud PG in ‘21.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well the only thing is that the staff obviously feels differently.

I do slightly agree though, PG seems to be a luxury position in the 2019 class, but we gotta take 1 in 2020 though.  Otherwise we'd only have 1 on the roster with Green graduating.

7 hours ago, Iugradman said:

I'm laughing.  You don't think Phinisee is a high level point guard?   Let's talk in 9 months.   (And I know you'll spin this with rankings, etc.  I get it.  Let's talk in 9 months.  Phinsee has been undersold for 2 years and in Langford's shadow around this state since they played for the state title 2 years ago.  Phinisee is only ranked where he is because he's not as big as Carton.  He is absolutely as good as a basketball player.   Just wait...)