Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

26 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With posts like this, you really need to work on your post count!  I like the way you think.

Thanks! I am working on it! I’ve been lurking for a while, but I’ve just recently tried to pass along anything I find interesting. My niche/specialty is social media sleuthing, I don’t have any sources unfortunately lol

Hmmm... they seem to think quite highly of each other... TJD is also friendly with Trendon and obviously Keion. He could be a great recruiter for us

FWIW I've heard that TJD is looking at joining another AAU team for the summer bc he isn't happy with how the team is being coached (Keion Brooks' dad is the coach) and there may be a little bit of a riff right now with he and Keion...heard this last month and also that TJD has had interest from Team Penny and Indiana Elite and good chance he will join one of those teams. Just what I'm hearing in the Center Grove community. TJD may be looking at building a new relationship/"combo package" with he and DJ. Yes Please! I think Keion is Kentucky or MSU bound in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

FWIW I've heard that TJD is looking at joining another AAU team for the summer bc he isn't happy with how the team is being coached (Keion Brooks' dad is the coach) and there may be a little bit of a riff right now with he and Keion...heard this last month and also that TJD has had interest from Team Penny and Indiana Elite and good chance he will join one of those teams. Just what I'm hearing in the Center Grove community. TJD may be looking at building a new relationship/"combo package" with he and DJ. Yes Please! I think Keion is Kentucky or MSU bound in the end.

Brooks dad is the assistant coach. Jason Delaney is the head AAU coach and from TJD twitter account he thanked Delaney for pushing him. TJD got 3rd team All -Atlanta last week. I haven’t heard any of those rumblings here in the center grove community. Doesn’t mean they are not true I just don’t feel they are true

3 hours ago, jbell833 said:

Thank you for sharing. I know it's just social media but he posted a picture of his AAU team including Keion that said "Dream Team" yesterday so maybe everything is being exaggerated.

Thank you for sharing. I know it's just social media but he posted a picture of his AAU team including Keion that said "Dream Team" yesterday so maybe everything is being exaggerated.

I'm sure it is exaggerated...as it is hearsay as well. I just found it interesting that Memphis offered TJD this week and I heard this info last month so there may be some validity to it but again it's just what I heard from someone who is close to the AAU circuit here in the area. Not saying it is at all true but just sharing what I heard and thought it was interesting at the very least.

NY2LA Sports Invitational this weekend in Wisconsin.

DJ Carton – 2019 (Quad City Elite 17u) - One of the premiere 2019 prospects in the country was on full display in the opening night showdown between Quad City and Phenom University.  Carton was scoring at a high rate, crashing the boards, and dropping dimes all game long.  He made his presence felt for the full length of the game.  The 6-2 guard can finish around the rim as well as anyone in the country and was doing so all game long.  He threw down multiple highlight reel type dunks that had the whole gym buzzing.  Carton finished with a game high 27 points.

Posted on the NY2LA website following his Saturday morning game.  Don't know if the author really knows what he's talking about but this indicates we're out of the running.   However, back on May 5, Matthew Bain of the Des Moines Register wrote this:  "He hasn't made a commitment yet, but Carton did take a significant step in his recruitment Thursday night: He released a top six of Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan, Marquette, Indiana and Xavier. Now, plans will be made to visit those schools, and Carton told the Register he might decide by late summer."

Notwithstanding what it says below, until we hear something from a more authoritative source, I think we're still in contention.  I believe Bain is far closer to Carton's recruitment from what I've seen since I started following him on Twitter.

DJ Carton – 2019 (Quad City Elite 16u) - The five-star point guard did what he does best and that is win.  Almost every time he attacked the basket it either ended in a dunk, lay in, or foul shots.  When he wants to score he does and there is not much defenders can do to stop him.  Defensively he was all over the place disrupting passing lanes and blocking shots.  Carton had 17 first half points against All In Athletics.  After earning close to 20 division 1 offers the 6-2 guard recently cut his list of schools down to Ohio State, Michigan, Xavier, Marquette, and Iowa.

Additional info from NY2LA on Carton's last weekend performance.

DESI “DJ” CARTON – 2020 – PG – QUAD CITY ELITE
This is one hooper who just continues to dazzle with his fantastic play on the court, putting up highlight reel-type plays while controlling the game from the point position and leading his team to wins. Carton had the ball working from the perimeter, knocking down outside shots with confidence, and he was taking defenders off the dribble and finishing with big-time slam dunks. He finished with looping, yet controlled, lay-ups over and past defenders trying to protect the rim but instead left in his wake. He was awesome in finishing in transition and on defense, he had several high level blocks.

DJ Carton – 2019 (Quad City Elite 17u) - The five-star talent was phenomenal all day Sunday just as he was all weekend long.  Not many players in the country are more productive then Carton as he produces game in and game out.  He proved that when he flips that switch he will score whenever, wherever, and however he wants too.  He got hot from beyond the arc and was hitting deep three pointers at a high rate during Quad City's championship run Sunday.  When he rises up some players didn't get the memo not to jump with him because he continues to throw down posturizing dunks.  Carton finished with 28 points in Quad City Elites final four win over Ray Allen Select.

From the Des Moines Register - nothing really new

D.J. Carton, PG, Bettendorf, No. 1 in-state 2019 prospect

Ohio State is gaining some traction with Carton, a newly minted five-star point guard from Bettendorf. The Buckeyes are among his final six schools, along with Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Marquette and Xavier. Carton's coaches said he doesn't have any visits scheduled yet. He can't realistically schedule anything until he finds out if he makes the U18 National Team. Try-outs are next week in Colorado Springs. If Carton makes the team, he would compete at the 2018 FIBA U18 Americas Championship June 10-16. Carton is targeting a late-summer decision.