Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

I would have to think having TJD committed by the time of Carton’s visit could really help our chances also.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Having TJD committed before he leaves for the USA tryouts would be huge. He would be down there with Carton, Watford, and Brooks

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Having TJD committed before he leaves for the USA tryouts would be huge. He would be down there with Carton, Watford, and Brooks

Regardless if he's committed or not, hopefully he'll be in their ear talking up a huge second recruiting class for Archie and Co.!

Carton, TJD, (Brooks/Watford) would be a silly class. Championship level recruiting.

Future so bright we need shades.

Normally under Crean era this was not so much an exciting time because our initial targets were rarely possibilities. The tides seem to be shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Matthew Bain - Des Moines Register

MINNETONKA, Minn. — Last summer, when Bettendorf point guard D.J. Carton’s recruitment was just beginning to spark, mid-major programs wanted him to commit before high-major programs got a chance to jump in.  Well … he didn't, and high-majors flocked to Carton, the top prospect in Iowa in the 2019 class.  Now, several of those high-majors want him to commit before national blue-blood programs get a chance to swoop in late in the process.

"I would say that would be pretty accurate," Bettendorf head coach Curtis Clark said. "I feel like I’ve gotten a little bit of pressure. It’s from some good colleges, too," Carton added with a smile, "so I’m not complaining or anything."

He hasn't made a commitment yet, but Carton did take a significant step in his recruitment Thursday night: He released a top six of Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan, Marquette, Indiana and Xavier. Now, plans will be made to visit those schools, and Carton told the Register he might decide by late summer.

But could a national powerhouse — a consistent, top-10, perennial juggernaut  — swoop in late and throw a wrench in that timeline? Some schools are urging Carton to commit for a reason: Blue-blood programs have a history of cherry-picking elite prospects late in the process.  Coaches like John Calipari, Roy Williams, Bill Self and Mike Krzyzewski won't bat an eye at a top six. If they want a player, they expect to contend.

"When guys narrow things down, it lets the big dogs know, 'OK, it’s getting a little late now. Let’s make our push,'" Rivals national analyst Corey Evans said. "If they’re ever going to come (after Carton), it’s going to be then."  It happened locally a few years ago with Tyler Ulis. Iowa was mostly competing with Michigan State for Ulis when Kentucky offered him August before his senior year. Ulis was a Wildcat by September.

Two weeks ago, Carton said it would be tough for any new school to get in the way of relationships he’s already formed with coaches.  "It’s going to take a lot for any blue-blood to come in and think that I’m just going to commit right away since they offer me," Carton said. "I’m not like that. I’ve got to build a relationship and really know the coaching staff and the teammates. It’s definitely something I’m interested in. I love winning. I want to be with a winning team that has a good future. It will all take its time. It’ll play its course and I’ll see how it goes."

Carton is certainly good enough to warrant a national powerhouse's attention. He’s a consensus four-star prospect ranked 33rd in 2019 by the 247Sports Composite and 30th by Rivals. Based on his play so far this offseason with Quad City Elite — and his invitation to the 18U National Team Trials — Carton is expected to rise in the rankings and perhaps become a five-star prospect. 

"I could see him going top-20 in the class," Evans said.  Evans also brought up a good point: The 2019 class is not very deep at the point guard position. In other words, if elite programs swing and miss on their top point guard targets, Carton could very well be next on their list.  "Every year there’s probably about 30 or 40 high-major potential guys at the guard spot; there’s probably only about 15-20 this year," Evans said. "So it makes it even more pressing, that need at the point guard spot. The fact that UNC has a guard commitment, Texas A&M has a guard commitment, Arizona State has a guard commitment, UCLA, Kansas and Utah.  "Six of those 20 guys are already committed, so it’s going to make it that much more vital that a guy like D.J. Carton is on someone’s board. I could definitely see some blue-bloods getting involved."

D.J. Carton showed off his defense in the first of two games on Saturday in Minnesota.   Rivals’ 2019 rankings currently list four point guards ahead of Carton: Cole Anthony (No. 4), Kentucky pledge Ashton Hagans (No. 7), Jalen Lecque (No. 9) and Josiah James (No. 13). The 247Sports Composite classifies Tyrese Maxey as a point guard and ranks him ahead of Carton, too.

Maxey just committed to Kentucky. That gives the Wildcats two guard recruits, although Hagans will likely reclassify to 2018. Kentucky recently offered Lecque, who is also considering reclassifying to 2018. It appears Calipari isn't done recruiting guards.

Duke is all over Anthony, son of former UNLV and NBA star Greg Anthony, but it has also offered James. The Blue Devils don't have any 2019 commitments at the moment.

North Carolina and Kansas both have point guard commitments in Jeremiah Francis (Rivals No. 56) and Markese Jacobs (Rivals No. 84), respectively, although the Tar Heels are reportedly interested in Lecque and the Jayhawks just offered Alabama point guard Kira Lewis (Rivals No. 81).

Villanova, the national champion, has a point guard commitment in Justin Moore (Rivals No. 57). But it also has offers out to Lecque and Isaiah Wong (Rivals No. 107).

Bottom line: There's still plenty of backcourt recruiting to shake out for the country's elite programs.

Before he announced his top six, Carton was still fielding interest from new schools in Louisville, Texas and Seton Hall. 

Logan Wynn, Carton’s AAU program director with Quad City Elite, said his star point guard isn’t waiting on any offers right now — blue-blood or not.

"There’s no doubt that he could play there. If those schools come along, without a doubt he can play there and he can compete there," Wynn said. "But I’m not sure he’s holding out right now. I think he knows he has a great list; I think he feels comfortable with (several) schools that have really been there."

36 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

Just curious...if this were to happen, who do you think would be out from our current roster? Early NBA entrant or otherwise?

Juwan and Fitzner will be seniors. That’s two scholarships. And the other two would be either Romeo and Moore or Durham and Moore. My opinion

33 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

Well, obviously knew Morgan and Fitzner. Was wondering who your fourth would be after (assuming) Romeo.

I’m not completely sold Romeo is a 1 year player. There’s a good chance. But not completely sold

22 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I’m not completely sold Romeo is a 1 year player. There’s a good chance. But not completely sold

There is definitely some room for doubt about RL being a one and done.  On the surface it seems like all but a lock, but when some 2019 guys talk about wanting to play with Romeo (and you know they talk to each other) it has to keep the door open a little bit.

In the article that '66 linked, two things struck me:

1. How the mid-majors got on DJ early and pushed him to commit before the high-majors got involved - that seems kind of like what Crean did.  TC was in on a lot of guys really early but rarely got a commitment before the other major programs made offers (and at that point we were pretty much eliminated it seemed).

2. Talk of the current elite teams making overtures to Carton, even though they have other players committed is something I hope we don't do.  I don't like recruiting over players that have already made a commitment to your team.

16 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

There is definitely some room for doubt about RL being a one and done.  On the surface it seems like all but a lock, but when some 2019 guys talk about wanting to play with Romeo (and you know they talk to each other) it has to keep the door open a little bit.

1. How the mid-majors got on DJ early and pushed him to commit before the high-majors got involved - that seems kind of like what Crean did.  TC was in on a lot of guys really early but rarely got a commitment before the other major programs made offers (and at that point we were pretty much eliminated it seemed).

2. Talk of the current elite teams making overtures to Carton, even though they have other players committed is something I hope we don't do.  I don't like recruiting over players that have already made a commitment to your team.

I didn’t get the impression that other programs were trying to recruit over current commits. It said only a few top programs have guard commitments in a thin guard class so Carton will be a hot commodity for those who haven’t found one yet. 

IU and Michigan ARE elite TEAMS.
Places like UK are elite RECRUITERS.