Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

cleeter

Romeo v Phinisee - Hypothetical debate

So i have a question that a couple friends and i have been debating. Obviously this is all hypothetical since none of us know what Romeo will decide. But for the sake of debate, let me ask this.

If you could only have one of these, what would you want/think is better for this team moving forward,

1) A true PG (which we lack) in Phinisee for 4 years

2) Romeo (if he was committed per say) for 1 year.

Which would you prefer if you actually had a choice and what would be better for the team

Both.

In all seriousness, I think you take the best talent because you never know if it's 1,2,3,4 years.

For example, if Phinisee takes over and dominates then he would leave early too. If not then maybe his 4 years aren't super special.

A lot of what ifs but in general my answer is to take the best talent assuming both are going to equally buy in to the team winning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Four year true PG in Phinisee. Honestly, even with Romeo next year, this team is still a few years out from being a title contender. We need some pieces to mature and reach their potential as juniors and seniors, and then have some 5* star talent as well to truly have a chance, if you look at some of the trends in the past two decades.

6 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Four year true PG in Phinisee. Honestly, even with Romeo next year, this team is still a few years out from being a title contender. We need some pieces to mature and reach their potential as juniors and seniors, and then have some 5* star talent as well to truly have a chance, if you look at some of the trends in the past two decades.

Yeah, agreed. This is a really easy answer IMO. We all witnessed how much a 4 year stud PG can help a team.

I don’t care how good a player is, I’ll take 4 years over 1 every time. 

Repeat of what most are saying but I think a 4-year PG is the most important piece we need but I'm also overly biased because of the number of games I've watched Phinisee play.  I think he's a player who will make the rest of the team better and I'll sacrifice Romeo and a likely 20+ ppg average for a single year.  BUT, if Romeo wants to come to IU, I'll gladly help him unpack.

I think Romeo is a 2 year guy, so I will officially say 'both" and completely cop out.

Phinisee will start next season and be a 4 year point guard.  As valuable to this program as Yogi was.  Romeo would prove to recruits that Indiana is a great place to go, and we'd win next season with him.  Both are program changers for different reasons, and although I am very much on the Phinisee train, I think 'both" changes this program for the better and for the long term.

If pressed and forced to choose, I have no idea what I'd say.   Good question for different reasons.

I hate how in today's college basketball player, a four year player is typically thought of as a failure in terms of the NBA or at the very least looked at in a negative light.  If you don't go early, you weren't as successful.  It reminds me of the dilemma of Yogi.  For one, if Yogi would have been 2 inches taller I feel he would have maybe been a lottery pick and certainly a first round pick. For second, if he would have went after his Freshman year, he was highly touted, highly talked about and in my opinion probably would have been drafted.  But if he did, I think his NBA career would have flamed out like many early entrants have.  Instead he stayed 4 years, learned that work ethic and really pushed himself to be where he is today.  His NBA career is in much better position now then had he left early and been drafted instead of staying 4 years and not being drafted.  Now I will say this, his game was a little exposed in his Sophomore and caused his draft stock to fall.  He got some of that back in his Junior year as he had to make the decision to stay or go.  Had he gone, would he have been drafted?  Don't know.  Did he hurt his chances of being drafted by staying a 4th year?  Don't really know.  But we do know that he wasn't drafted after playing 4 years and being one of the best college players in the country his senior year.  

It all comes back to the one and done rule (which I understand is an NBA decision, not and NCAA one) and I hope they figure out something to end it because I would rather watch a player come to college for 4 years (4 preferable but at least 3 years) than to see him for 1 or even 2 years.  I like to see the maturation of the players and how the teams gel each year with seniors and freshman and all in between.  I like investing my interest into the players and watching them play for my favorite team for multiple years.

I know it would never happen, but in today's society, most executive or high paying positions require higher education (post high school) to be qualified.  With the money the NBA players make, I would love to see them adopt this.  They could have in conjunction with their G league, an associates degree program for players who don't want to go to a 4 year college and have the potential and ability to be drafted right away from High School to the NBA.  The course load could be about life, finances, ethics, and essential things that are inclusive to NBA life and highly paid athletes and work around the G league schedule.  

Then those players that do want to go the college route, they can go 3-4 years, graduate with a degree and become eligible for the NBA draft.  It can showcase their game on a national level or allow for maturation and development of their game to become an NBA level talent.  

Sorry, slightly off topic, but I guess my short answer is, I'd enjoy watching the 4 year player over the one and done player.  However, in the game today, I feel you need a combination of experience and talent to win it all and those two things are becoming more and more exclusive of each other as talent leaves early and experience isn't always highly talented.

Easy, give me a 4 year floor general all day, every day. A good one-and-done SG typically averages 16-20 ppg and draws a little extra attention. A player with Romeo’s height/length will probably exceed the usual rebounding average for his position. Point being, all of those things can be made up amongst the other positions. As we’ve seen, true PG skills are irreplaceable.

1 hour ago, A.j. Nigh said:

Easy....would you take Yogi’s 4 years or Eric Gordon’s 1? Give me the long term point guard!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Depends on how EJ's 1 year would have ended under typical circumstances. Obviously that's not a question we can answer, but that was a legit top 10 team that had conference title and final four aspirations before Sampson ruined it. 

I love Yogi, I'm a big fan and still follow him in the NBA, but as time passes we tend to sometimes forget that his sophomore year through the first half of his senior year were pretty underwhelming from a team perspective. 

On the overall topic though I'm with Wayne and Old Friend, an IU program that is performing as it should, shouldn't have to pick. I'd expect Archie at some point soon to be able to land both types of players on a regular basis.