Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Soapbox Time. Students, get your butts to the games!

I'd like to revisit this topic because Illinois had only 13,000 seats sold tonight and the rest went unsold. I am comparing this because until Illinois brought Groce in and tanked they sold out ever game basically. Now that they are rebuilding demand is lower and they still try to sell all their seats as single game to general public and its not working so well.

This is what would happen to the balcony seats at IU for non-premium games if we just opened them up for single game sales instead of giving them to students who don't use them as season tickets. Better for the department financially to sell the balcony tickets to students who do not use them than to open them up for single game sales and have them go unsold.

This would be a great topic to revisit if we start winning big again and students still don't show (which based on precedent seems unlikely given every game in 2012-2013 was packed as well as most of the Big Ten games in 2015-2016) but for now everyone needs to realize demand isn't great and until we win we can either use the Illinois method of letting the seats empty unsold or sell them to students who will not use them except for big games.   

15 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I'd like to revisit this topic because Illinois had only 13,000 seats sold tonight and the rest went unsold. I am comparing this because until Illinois brought Groce in and tanked they sold out ever game basically. Now that they are rebuilding demand is lower and they still try to sell all their seats as single game to general public and its not working so well.

This is what would happen to the balcony seats at IU for non-premium games if we just opened them up for single game sales instead of giving them to students who don't use them as season tickets. Better for the department financially to sell the balcony tickets to students who do not use them than to open them up for single game sales and have them go unsold.

This would be a great topic to revisit if we start winning big again and students still don't show (which based on precedent seems unlikely given every game in 2012-2013 was packed as well as most of the Big Ten games in 2015-2016) but for now everyone needs to realize demand isn't great and until we win we can either use the Illinois method of letting the seats empty unsold or sell them to students who will not use them except for big games.   

Illinois is not Indiana.   If we (and the students) want to be a winner and claim we're still a basketball school; the seats need to be filled regardless of record or opponent (although I completely get empty seats for Bull Sh*t State in December).   See your point, however don't ever want to compare Indiana w Illinois

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Illinois is not Indiana.   If we (and the students) want to be a winner and claim we're still a basketball school; the seats need to be filled regardless of record or opponent (although I completely get empty seats for Bull Sh*t State in December).   See your point, however don't ever want to compare Indiana w Illinois

Illinois is a 'fake' basketball school and like to think of themselves as a great basketball school (they're not). I agree with your point though that we should strive much higher than Illinois. I am saying until we win at least at a reasonable level (which we all should expect in the next year or two or else everyone's feet in the athletic department needs to be held to fire)  we can expect empty seats either from the students buying and not attending or from people not buying if they are sold as single game seats. If we start winning and students still don't show (unlikely) than we can have a discussion about putting the tickets back on sale for the public.

We are on the verge of being an afterthought. Twenty five years of comically awful mismanagement will devastate a program. IU has one of the worst athletics departments in the country.

In sure you'll continue to remind us though..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

For giggles...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-65-power-five-schools-slideshow-wp-191443165/photo-p-strong-41-indiana-strong-photo-191443047.html

Better than we were, but still not very good.  Not sure what Glass' directive is, but I continue to blame IU's presidents.  Myles Brand made a decision Indiana was not going to be defined as a basketball school; Adam Herbert forced us to hire a minority to replace Mike Davis; and Michael McRobbie cares about money far more than sports, and there are a ton of examples.  

I know a ton of people blame Fred Glass, however I think the problem is way deeper than him.  We had similar problems before he was hired, and I don't think he gets to make decisions on what his mission truly is.

Old friend, sounds like I sat next to you a few times.  

Unfortunately, IU basketball has a big job ahead of them.  I think this is still a Crean year.  Sure looks like it with the turnovers and stupid shots.   Archie really need to get his kids in there and start building the program.  Start with getting some Indiana blood who knows the program history.  A couple of consistent years and IU will be back.  They still have a long legacy to build off of.  

9 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Old friend, sounds like I sat next to you a few times.  

Unfortunately, IU basketball has a big job ahead of them.  I think this is still a Crean year.  Sure looks like it with the turnovers and stupid shots.   Archie really need to get his kids in there and start building the program.  Start with getting some Indiana blood who knows the program history.  A couple of consistent years and IU will be back.  They still have a long legacy to build off of.  

I've been on that train of thinking for a while.  And I don't have much of a filter (I know...shocker to the long termers!).    You very well may have!

"Winless (in the Big East) St. John's comes to Hinkle Fieldhouse, and Butler fans completely fill it. This is what a serious basketball school looks like."    Gregg Doyel  And you know what?  He's absolutely right.  Get your butts to the games, students.  No excuses and no entitlement.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

"Winless (in the Big East) St. John's comes to Hinkle Fieldhouse, and Butler fans completely fill it. This is what a serious basketball school looks like."    Gregg Doyel  And you know what?  He's absolutely right.  Get your butts to the games, students.  No excuses and no entitlement.

Part of this is 100% on IU. I live in Indy and I can tell you IU takes the Indy market completely for granted and treats them like crap when it comes to availability. Painter and Jordan are on basically every week on the local radio as well as several PU and Butler players while IU gives them nothing. As a result the Indy media can get a little hostile towards IU and not treat them well unless they win big. IU needs to stop taking the state for granted and realize their are other options now and promote their product. IU athletic department can act like the spoiled child who believes they are grand but has done nothing to show it lately (to be fair our fans act the same way sometimes).

Now with all that said this statement could not be more absurd. First off Hinkle is half the size of IU. Even our 'empty seat' games still have more people than Hinkle could even fit and Hinkle does not even always sell out. Secondly, Butler chooses to sell single game tickets instead of doing season tickets only so every seat usually sold fills.

Now put that together and if IU does not want these absurd statements made by people in the Indy media I would recommend giving them the access that Butler and PU do or Indy media is going to continue to take shots at IU until they win big. 

47 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Part of this is 100% on IU. I live in Indy and I can tell you IU takes the Indy market completely for granted and treats them like crap when it comes to availability. Painter and Jordan are on basically every week on the local radio as well as several PU and Butler players while IU gives them nothing. As a result the Indy media can get a little hostile towards IU and not treat them well unless they win big. IU needs to stop taking the state for granted and realize their are other options now and promote their product. IU athletic department can act like the spoiled child who believes they are grand but has done nothing to show it lately (to be fair our fans act the same way sometimes).

Now with all that said this statement could not be more absurd. First off Hinkle is half the size of IU. Even our 'empty seat' games still have more people than Hinkle could even fit and Hinkle does not even always sell out. Secondly, Butler chooses to sell single game tickets instead of doing season tickets only so every seat usually sold fills.

Now put that together and if IU does not want these absurd statements made by people in the Indy media I would recommend giving them the access that Butler and PU do or Indy media is going to continue to take shots at IU until they win big. 

This is laughable.  You do realize Butler's enrollment is about 1/8th (17%) of IU's Bloomington campus, right?    Absurd?  Hardly.  A takeaway that is very off point.    You clearly have no recollection or knowledge that IU's student section used to be packed every conference game and student tickets not only sold out, but to the point of cutting allotment to 4 games from 6 for 2 years.   

Sorry, Aaron.  Your comparison is absurd.  If you're on the "I'll come when they win" train, please give your tickets to someone who gives a damn.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

This is laughable.  You do realize Butler's enrollment is about 1/8th (17%) of IU's Bloomington campus, right?    Absurd?  Hardly.  A takeaway that is very off point.    You clearly have no recollection or knowledge that IU's student section used to be packed every conference game and student tickets not only sold out, but to the point of cutting allotment to 4 games from 6 for 2 years.   

Sorry, Aaron.  Your comparison is absurd.  If you're on the "I'll come when they win" train, please give your tickets to someone who gives a damn.

Oh trust me. I''m well aware. When we win big seats are full every game. In 05-06 and 07-08 when I was a student every seat was full every game for these hyped years. In Crean's first three years not enough students even bought season tickets to sell the balcony so they sold them for $5 to individual games which mostly filled it. Than we had the 2 Zeller years after I finished school where we filled every seat every game. Than 2013-2014 had some empty seats as well as 2014-2015 for non-premium games. 2015-2016 started bad but by end of season every seat was full every game for second half of Big Ten. Last year started well with every seat full mostly (save for Crap U games) than fizzled out as season went off the rails. Same this year. Every single University fills seats based on how good they are. UCLA had real issues filling seats when Howland tanked them later in his tenure. PU rarely sold out during their down Painter years several years ago. Butler didn't fill the one year under Miller where they stunk. Filling seats is tied to winning unfortunately everywhere including Butler and IU. Right now Butler is winning and IU is not. Its that simple. 

I also stand by the fact that the reason Doyle took that shot is due to how the Indy media sometimes treats IU which is a separate issue from our attendance which is tied to winning. 

Also I have attended almost every single game as a student since 2005 and than as an alum with season tickets since 2011. I am not the problem. I am just stating the reality of what happens when you don't win at the level people expect.

Oh trust me. I''m well aware. When we win big seats are full every game. In 05-06 and 08-09 when I was a student every seat was full every game for these hyped years. In Crean's first three years not enough students even bought season tickets to sell the balcony so they sold them for $5 to individual games which mostly filled it. Than we had the 2 Zeller years after I finished school where we filled every seat every game. Than 2013-2014 had some empty seats as well as 2014-2015 for non-premium games. 2015-2016 started bad but by end of season every seat was full every game for second half of Big Ten. Last year started well with every seat full mostly (save for Crap U games) than fizzled out as season went off the rails. Same this year. Every single University fills seats based on how good they are. UCLA had real issues filling seats when Howland tanked them later in his tenure. PU rarely sold out during their down Painter years several years ago. Butler didn't fill the one year under Miller where they stunk. Filling seats is tied to winning unfortunately everywhere including Butler and IU. Right now Butler is winning and IU is not. Its that simple. 

I also stand by the fact that the reason Doyle took that shot is due to how the Indy media sometimes treats IU which is a separate issue from our attendance which is tied to winning. 

Also I have attended almost every single game as a student since 2005 and than as an alum with season tickets since 2011. I am not the problem. I am just stating the reality of what happens when you don't win at the level people expect.

They were hyped in 2008-09? 6 wins. UCLA is never at capacity and my god never compare us to PU when it comes to basketball. Their bread is buttered in football. Which is kind of the point of this whole thing. Kids are lacking an understanding of what makes a school a basketball school.

You guys give us an advantage at home. You guys help us recruit. Romeo shows up for Northwestern not Duke. Every game is important. That is what is so frustrating and us “old” people are trying to get through to you guys but you don’t understand. Be a part of the solution. Show up. That helps us win, which helps us recruit, which helps us win. Show up.

"This is the toughest place to play in the league."  - Matt Painter after Purdue v IU 1.28.18

And he gets the full student section in every game PU plays here.   He gets the passion and what MAKES Assembly Hall the toughest place to play.  Students, you don't think you matter?  You don't think you make a difference?   Get off your butts and go to EVERY conference game.  It matters. A lot.  

No more excuses.

Today was certainly full (or at least 99%) and next week will be as well. No place jumps like Assembly Hall for big games when we are good or bad. When we are good it also is full and jumps for ANY game. Not making excuses and you would love to have it be full and as loud as it was today every game regardless but that is not how sports works anywhere.

Another thing I was happy about was there were a lot fewer PU fans than I was afraid there could be (maybe 5-10%). Given how good they are and our struggles I was fearing it could be 20-25% but it was not close to that. Giving so many seats to students (that they sometimes don't use) and only selling season tickets has its draw backs but it definitely keeps opposing fans out like no other arena in the country can.  

Today was certainly full (or at least 99%) and next week will be as well. No place jumps like Assembly Hall for big games when we are good or bad. When we are good it also is full and jumps for ANY game. Not making excuses and you would love to have it be full and as loud as it was today every game regardless but that is not how sports works anywhere.
Another thing I was happy about was there were a lot fewer PU fans than I was afraid there could be (maybe 5-10%). Given how good they are and our struggles I was fearing it could be 20-25% but it was not close to that. Giving so many seats to students (that they sometimes don't use) and only selling season tickets has its draw backs but it definitely keeps opposing fans out like no other arena in the country can.  

Good to keep opposing fan attendance to a minimum at Assembly Hall!

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

You are so full of BS, I barely know how to respond.  Except to call complete bull sh*t on you, which this is.  Watch a game at Duke. Go to a game at Butler.  Smaller arenas yes.  MUCH smaller student bodies, too.  Go to ANY football game at Ohio State.  Notre Dame. Michigan.  Clemson.  Penn State even when they were bad a few years ago.  Alabama.  A basketball game at Kentucky (with an off campus arena that seats 24,000 people).  Kansas has the same problem we do, and alums are furious.  Why should we be any different??  All blue blood programs in their sport, which means fair weather fans have no place.  Big games at ANY university will sell out and be loud.  WE ARE NOT JUST ANY BASKETBALL SCHOOL!!    Know where you are.

This statement is as wrong as it is ignorant.And yes.  That is an excuse. 

"This is the toughest place to play in the league."  - Matt Painter after Purdue v IU 1.28.18
And he gets the full student section in every game PU plays here.   He gets the passion and what MAKES Assembly Hall the toughest place to play.  Students, you don't think you matter?  You don't think you make a difference?   Get off your butts and go to EVERY conference game.  It matters. A lot.  
No more excuses.

Yep and Don Fischer was letting the students have it early in the game for their lack of showing up. As many years as he has been in it he isn’t even used to this.