Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Old Friend

Soapbox Time. Students, get your butts to the games!

I blame the east coast kids. 

Mostly joking, but I do think IU's attempts to attract more out of state kids, along with the roller coaster that's been IU basketball for the past 15-20 years, has led to this. The students will get pumped up for a marquee matchup but when it's a game like tonight there will be a mediocre turnout. Winning is the only way to change it. 

4 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The team needs to win to attract students. We were 11-8 going into the game coming off an 18-16 season. We have had one decent season in the last five years. That level of mediocrity will generate apathy.

If that's the case, then like GoColts said, take the tickets from them. 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I blame the east coast kids. 

Mostly joking, but I do think IU's attempts to attract more out of state kids, along with the roller coaster that's been IU basketball for the past 15-20 years, has led to this. The students will get pumped up for a marquee matchup but when it's a game like tonight there will be a mediocre turnout. Winning is the only way to change it. 

The Chicago kids are just as much if not more fairweather than the east coast students.

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Chants.  Big heads.  Costumes.  Some of the best seats in the building.  Profanity.  

With the good comes the bad.  I was embarrassed tonight.  Embarrassed for Fred Glass and embarrassed for the student body.  Assembly Hall was sterile for 38 minutes tonight. There were  2000 empty seats.  The middle aged man in me (who will seem very old to IU students) says "when I was in school, we got 4 games."  FOUR!  And we didn't get to pick them.  Two games were balcony, one main level, and one on the floor.  We got to go....4 times.  And we did.  Even when we weren't very good.  See : 1988.

Students now get all the games if they want them.  It was clear to me tonight they don't.  We can't play Purdue every night.  We can't play Duke every night.  Sometimes....we play Maryland.  On a Monday.  And you generally blow it off.  You want Romeo Langford?  Be a better crowd than Purdue.  You want a winner?  Be louder than Nebraska.  Tonight was a pathetic excuse for a crowd.  The place was as quiet as if we were playing Northeast Arkansas during Christmas break.  

I don't know if students are entitled, have no clue where they are (perhaps with all the east coasters, but I'd like to think we can find 7000 basketball fans on that campus), or what...but this was far removed from any Indiana Basketball I have known.  If the students don't want the tickets, limit their access and sell them to people who care about Indiana Basketball.  Oh, and students?  Stop with the profanity.  It's sad.

Off soapbox.

Unless something changed with the renovation, the bleacher seats are awful. Non students would not fill those seats consistently either.

Limit their access and sell to people who care about basketball? Come on, the students are half of the equation. The alumni and other are not showing up or being loud and proud either. The games, sans Duke and a few others have been pretty spotty and blah across the entire hall. There are plenty of opportunities for people who care about basketball to attend and be rowdy and they just aren't in general. Winning solves all and that hasn't happened in a few years

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The team needs to win to attract students. We were 11-8 going into the game coming off an 18-16 season. We have had one decent season in the last five years. That level of mediocrity will generate apathy.

No. Just no. Part of going to IU. You don’t pick what seasons you get.

It's been this way since the Vonleh season if we're being completely honest. Zeller's freshmen and sophomore years, it was always full. After that, not so much. 

It's frustrating, but this isn't a problem that is exclusive to IU. It's a problem across all sports and at most universities. Hopefully students start to show. Sustained success will help. 

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

No. Just no. Part of going to IU. You don’t pick what seasons you get.

Spoken like someone who probably went to IU when they were good.

It is not the students’ job to go to games.  In the end, sports are about entertainment and students will go when they value that entertainment more than the alternatives.

This team lost at home by a combined 40 points to teams ranked 118 and 177 by Ken Pom, effectively destroying both any sort of momentum and its chances of making the tournament.  This team has no one to blame but themselves for lack of student support.

It is not the students’ job to go to games.  In the end, sports are about entertainment and students will go when they value that entertainment more than the alternatives.

This team lost at home by a combined 40 points to teams ranked 118 and 177 by Ken Pom, effectively destroying both any sort of momentum and its chances of making the tournament.  This team has no one to blame but themselves for lack of student support.

Mike Davis years so no. So spoken like someone that will ***** when their season tickets are taken but isn’t going. That’s been the issue the last 10 years. Kids don’t go but want more tickets. Adults can’t sit in student seats. They need to drop down to about 5,000 student tickets and I guarantee those seats would fill up with more than fair weather students. As crazy as this sounds and I can tell you haven’t heard this much, but we aren’t all here to entertain you. Sometimes other people would rather have what you don’t want. That’s what this is about. Sorry but your statement about it not being the students job to go is just false and stupid. If you don’t believe me ask somebody in the athletic office.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Mike Davis years so no. So spoken like someone that will ***** when their season tickets are taken but isn’t going. That’s been the issue the last 10 years. Kids don’t go but want more tickets. Adults can’t sit in student seats. They need to drop down to about 5,000 student tickets and I guarantee those seats would fill up with more than fair weather students. As crazy as this sounds and I can tell you haven’t heard this much, but we aren’t all here to entertain you. Sometimes other people would rather have what you don’t want. That’s what this is about.

I’m not a student by a long shot so why don’t you cool it a bit.

Sports are about entertainment and there is no logical argument to the contrary.  

I would not at all be opposed to dropping the student allotment. Give them less seats but overall better ones.  People always talk about how many tickets students get but rarely talk about how bad the average seat is.

And alumni are not going to fill the bleacher seats. It’s just not going to happen.

Was at the game vs. Wisky last year. Was January 6th I believe. Students were gone. Balcony was filled, bleachers were filled. Not capacity, but close. Not loud either. Was a close game too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’m not a student by a long shot so why don’t you cool it a bit.

Sports are about entertainment and there is no logical argument to the contrary.  

I would not at all be opposed to dropping the student allotment. Give them less seats but overall better ones.  People always talk about how many tickets students get but rarely talk about how bad the average seat is.

And alumni are not going to fill the bleacher seats. It’s just not going to happen.

Their seats are pretty damn good currently. They get a section to themselves. So I am not sure where you get their seats are bad. First come first serve. If they want better they show up earlier. Most every school does that to the best of my knowledge.

3 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Their seats are pretty damn good currently. They get a section to themselves. So I am not sure where you get their seats are bad. First come first serve. If they want better they show up earlier. Most every school does that to the best of my knowledge.

The entirety of the student allotment is first come first serve?

The entirety of the student allotment is first come first serve?

That was my understanding. My kid currently is going. To get season tix for basketball they have to get season tix for football now which is different and part of the reason there are more people for football games but less for basketball. When I went we didn’t have to get football tix. I think they even have less games to pick from now tbh, but they still aren’t filling them up.

7 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Unless something changed with the renovation, the bleacher seats are awful. Non students would not fill those seats consistently either.

Then they are spoiled, entitled brats who don't deserve the seats.  Been that way for decades and they have been full for as long as I can remember.   A poor excuse.

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

Fair weather students have no business having tickets.    Know where you are.  It is absolutely the students'' job to go to the games.