Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Maryland at IU Game Thread

47 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

-  Newkirk gets in the lane in the first half, Durham in the ball side corner and Johnson on the wing, Newkirk "fits" and throws it between them to the fan in the first row.

Lol, I was going to post that he couldn't decide who to pass it to, so he threw a pass that bisected the distance between them.

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Heard it mentioned early in the game last night and wanted to check because it seemed hard to believe: Assembly Hall is the only Big Ten arena Maryland hasn't won in since they joined the league.

I believe thats true because their wins against IU came during the BIG/ACC challenge before they joined the league. 

31 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I believe thats true because their wins against IU came during the BIG/ACC challenge before they joined the league. 

Their wins before joining Big Ten recently against IU came in Crean's second year in Big Ten/ACC Challenge at Assembly Hall and in national championship game in 02. IU won a thriller at Bankers Life in Indy in 03 year after we lost national championship. That's only times recently we have played them before they joined conference I believe.

Since joining Big Ten we have beaten them 3 times at home, lost 2 close games in College Park and one loss in Big Ten Tourney.  

It’s definitely awesome to see Morgan succeed in a system he’s able to flourish in. When he first came to IU, I’ll admit, I wasn’t too high on him. His first couple years he just seemed to foul and turn the ball over for the most part. Archie ball is providing Juwan the chance to really show what he’s good at, and he’s been a beast.  Glad to see him do so well. Archie’s style of play is really making him shine. 

A year ago if you would have told me Morgan would be scoring like he is, on bigger post players, around the basket I would have laughed. He was kind of an all around decent player but not great at anything. Now, he is the teams best player and capable of getting a bucket down low when the team needs it the most.

I hope we see similar improvement by Davis next season. If Davis returns to play next to Morgan, Morgan will need to develop more of a perimeter game to space the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

Sorry but Green and Durham are not the answer moving forward .

Certainly not without a major leap. Green has the ability (skills & moxie) but just can't seem to help himself from show-boating. His highlight play to complete foolishness ratio runs pretty close to 1:1. Loved his bounce pass to JM late, but some of those forced shots were brutal. If he "gets it" he could be an above average to very good B1G player......I have my doubts if he will though.

Durham, I'm going hope makes a Soph leap. He has some tools too, but appears to have regressed a bit as the season goes on.

Without a Romeo commitment and/or some completely unforeseen event (Grad transfer) they HAVE to be ready next year for major minutes.   

Green makes some really frustrating plays that disrupts the momentum.  However, I believe they both have a place moving forward.  I actually saw Green slow the pace down late in the game to run some clock.  He's a product of "ignore turnovers and just run faster."  If Archie can reign his NY street ball ways in a little I think there is a good, solid contributor, in there.
Durham needs to find his niche as a lockdown defender and opportune scorer.  In a properly constructed team that would be the role he would be playing this season.  However, on a team that lacks scoring, leadership, and decision making he sticks out like a sore thumb.  He is the type of guard I want Archie to take a chance on in every other or every third class.  Come in and make an impact on defense, add a few things each offseason, and become a leader as a upperclassman. 

I hope! Reminds me of Russ Smith while he was at UofL.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Certainly not without a major leap. Green has the ability (skills & moxie) but just can't seem to help himself from show-boating. His highlight play to complete foolishness ratio runs pretty close to 1:1. Loved his bounce pass to JM late, but some of those forced shots were brutal. If he "gets it" he could be an above average to very good B1G player......I have my doubts if he will though.

Durham, I'm going hope makes a Soph leap. He has some tools too, but appears to have regressed a bit as the season goes on.

Without a Romeo commitment and/or some completely unforeseen event (Grad transfer) they HAVE to be ready next year for major minutes.   

Im not so sure weill need them. Race, Morgan, Smith and Davis will eat up alot of minutes at 3-5. 

Phinisee, Hunter and Mcroberts can hold down the guard spots. With probably one of the other freshman or Al getting spot minutes

Green is still 1 of my favorite guys on this team, and the glimpses I see of him doing the good things make me say wow.... Obviously he needs to slow down sometimes, take better shots sometimes, etc... but I can see him becoming an even bigger part of the future. Some of his turnovers are silly but others are actually good passes just to the wrong guy... he tried a wrap around bounce pass during the game that was a thing of beauty and hit the mark perfectly... unfortunately it was to McSwain who can't catch anything and it was a turnover against Green.

You know other teams see it and game-plan for it but McSwain and McRoberts really hurt our offense, (I love McRoberts on the defensive end). Our guys seem to get in a good rotation and are moving the ball well and then they see the open guy is McSwain or McRoberts and they don't even make the pass, instead they pass it back into the traffic to somebody who may actually be able to do something with it.

Green is an enigma.  In one sense, he's a sophomore and ought to understand the college game much better but he still reverts to AAU ball mentality.  On the other hand, he's a freshman in terms of learning what Archie wants and expects out of him.  The $64.00 question is how will he play next season because at this juncture I don't see any positive change for the remainder of this season and he'll remain very erratic.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Green is an enigma.  In one sense, he's a sophomore and ought to understand the college game much better but he still reverts to AAU ball mentality.  On the other hand, he's a freshman in terms of learning what Archie wants and expects out of him.  The $64.00 question is how will he play next season because at this juncture I don't see any positive change for the remainder of this season and he'll remain very erratic.

In some sense you could generally say this is his freshman year of college as well because how much different from AAU was FCTCs team last year? Run and GUN, no d, and turnovers don't matter!