Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUrocker

Would Archie Leave For Another School?

If Archie can return us to national prominence on a year in, year out basis, he will become as revered and idolized as once was a former coach until that ill-fated day in the future when a student walks up to him and says "Hey, what's up Arch?"   :farting_smiley:

Archie doesn't seem like the kind of guy to build something and walk away.
After the years of futility we've had here this would be HIS program.He didnt follow a legend.These other places would be.
Ky shouldnt be in the equation.
Any coach who would leave this fan base and for the most part their knowledge of the game to put up with that inbred bunch and their expectations isn't smart enough to keep any way.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

There are games, players, recruits, movies, ice cream flavors, favorite dish soaps, art, the periodic table, dogs, wives goodand bad, kids, birthdays, snow amounts, construction zones, brooms, mops, pots, pans, and a litany of other things we can talk about.  

Why is anyone discussing this?

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

If Archie can return us to national prominence on a year in, year out basis, he will become as revered and idolized as once was a former coach until that ill-fated day in the future when a student walks up to him and says "Hey, what's up Arch?"   :farting_smiley:

And he responds Not much, how are you? And everybody goes about their day. 

32 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

There are games, players, recruits, movies, ice cream flavors, favorite dish soaps, art, the periodic table, dogs, wives goodand bad, kids, birthdays, snow amounts, construction zones, brooms, mops, pots, pans, and a litany of other things we can talk about.  

Why is anyone discussing this?

This Friday, Juwan, Romeo, Darkest Hour, Mint Chip, Dawn, Art Donovan, Au, Cody and Milo, mine=very, very good, mine=wonderful, May 30, none in Fla!, none, straw please, Martha's, slow cooker, teflon.

For me.     

3 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Unless there is a feud with the administration or something like that, I don't see a successful men's basketball coach leaving IU for another school. Going to the NBA? Maybe. But not another college program. We have lost a successful baseball coach to another program and if we ever were to have a successful run in football, I could see us losing that coach to another program. But men's basketball? I just don't see it happening. 

Agreed soccer and men's basketball are the 2 sports where we are a top job and should not have to worry about losing our coaches unless it is to the pro level. Our other 22 sports if successful as happened with baseball is a concern of losing to better college job potentially.

Trust me folks, I know it’s a stupid question and I agree whole heartedly that he has no reason to or would have any desire to leave IU. I asked the question to get a gauge on whether IU is a special enough school to want to stay at after having sustained success, and be a destination a successful coach would want to stay at no matter what other college destination comes calling, regardless of who the coach is. I’ve gotten all the excellent insightful comments i need from our very knowledgeable members here to show my quite annoying and usually unbearable co-workers who are Purdue, Ohio State, and Kentucky fans that they are wrong about IU not being a place Archie, or ANY coach would want to stick with for good. 

It's a message board and the question poses some thought and discussion.

I like it.

My answer is of course he could. My answer is the same as most.
We aren't a blueblood any longer. I've considered this a lot of over last few years, and we just aren't.

We can get back there and maybe Archie can make that happen. Only winning and pay separates us from that status imo.

The bluebloods, particularly Duke and Kentucky pay their head coaches WAY more than we do. This could be a factor but my hope is eventually if winning happens as we expect and hope, Archie's pay will rise too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, IUrocker said:

Trust me folks, I know it’s a stupid question and I agree whole heartedly that he has no reason to or would have any desire to leave IU. I asked the question to get a gauge on whether IU is a special enough school to want to stay at after having sustained success, and be a destination a successful coach would want to stay at no matter what other college destination comes calling, regardless of who the coach is. I’ve gotten all the excellent insightful comments i need from our very knowledgeable members here to show my quite annoying and usually unbearable co-workers who are Purdue, Ohio State, and Kentucky fans that they are wrong about IU not being a place Archie, or ANY coach would want to stick with for good. 

Not a stupid question at all, it's generated some good discussion!  

22 hours ago, IUrocker said:

See I guess that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Shouldn’t/wouldn’t coaching at IU be considered “a Duke type job?” If he brings IU to a Duke type level, IU would be a special enough destination to be at right? (And I’m trying to say that as unbiased as possible, ha). 

Duke was a Marquette-type job before coach K. It's NOT better than the Indiana job.

IU has one of the largest alumni bases in the country and is historically the premier basketball school in a basketball state. If Miller returns IU to where we all feel it should be, it would be the same level job as Duke, UNC, UK, KU, and any other team you want to put in that group. IU also has the financial means to match whatever those schools would be offering.

I don’t buy the professional argument either. The top college coaches get paid more than most NBA coaches. Hell, I think Stevens was only making maybe 500K more than Crean a year or two ago. And it takes a Game 7 in the NBA finals to match the viewership that the NCAA championship draws on a yearly basis. The only real draw the NBA has when it comes to coaches is that they don’t have to recruit (and in some cases don’t really have to coach either). If you’re revered by a fan base, have the opportunity to build a legacy, and make as much money as you would in the NBA, why jump ship to a league where you deal with arrogant crybabies, are irrelevant to the fan base, and can get fired even when your team is first in the conference? There’s a reason guys like Williams, Izzo, K, Boeheim, Calipari, and Self stay at the collegiate level.

18 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

IU has one of the largest alumni bases in the country and is historically the premier basketball school in a basketball state. If Miller returns IU to where we all feel it should be, it would be the same level job as Duke, UNC, UK, KU, and any other team you want to put in that group. IU also has the financial means to match whatever those schools would be offering.

I don’t buy the professional argument either. The top college coaches get paid more than most NBA coaches. Hell, I think Stevens was only making maybe 500K more than Crean a year or two ago. And it takes a Game 7 in the NBA finals to match the viewership that the NCAA championship draws on a yearly basis. The only real draw the NBA has when it comes to coaches is that they don’t have to recruit (and in some cases don’t really have to coach either). If you’re revered by a fan base, have the opportunity to build a legacy, and make as much money as you would in the NBA, why jump ship to a league where you deal with arrogant crybabies, are irrelevant to the fan base, and can get fired even when your team is first in the conference? There’s a reason guys like Williams, Izzo, K, Boeheim, Calipari, and Self stay at the collegiate level.

Not to mention very few coaches last in the NBA, even the marginally successful ones. Stevens' tenure in Boston was a special case given the conditions on which he would take the job, but for most coaches their leash is very short. Making the second round of the playoffs is no guarantee of keeping your job in many circumstances.