Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

IU Men's Soccer Offseason Updates

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

That's insane. What a fun season.

Any reliable estimate how many starters are returning? How many minutes we'll be replacing? Will the new guys be ready?

We should make it back to the Cup this year. Newcomers to watch so far: MF/F Ryan Wittenbrink and D Jack Maher. 

Very happy the band is coming back almost completely in tact next year. I don't think there's much doubt this team goes into the season as preseason #1, Big Ten favorite and most talented team in country.  

The lineup will look like this:

G Muse

D Gutman, Buckmaster, Kleyn, Mehl

M Dorsey, Rennicks, Moore, Gutjahr, Thomas

F Warr

Backups: Panchot, Swartz, Glass, Palazzolo

This will be the deepest and most talented team IU has fielded since the early 2000's and our 4 backups I put would start on probably any recent IU team except this one. What is nice is for the first time since Baseball in 2013 (which I know ended badly ironically to Stanford also but was still the most hyped and talked about team that program has had and sold out almost every game) you will have an IU team going into the year that everyone knows can win a national title and will have a lot of hype. You will not sellout Armstrong because its to big but you could easily average close to 3,000 fans a game and have people talking from the moment the season kicks off. Soccer under Jerry Yeagley had a special buzz around town in the late 90's and early 2000's that went missing until the middle of last year when everyone knew the team was good. Now hopefully we have an entire season of being no. 1 and living up to sky high expectations. I am hoping to duplicate 1997 and 1998 where we suffered the gut punch to UCLA in the college cup in 97 to end a chance at an undefeated season but came back in 98 to win the title after losing a couple times during the year. I'll gladly take a loss somewhere to win the title as long as its not the last one. 

Very happy the band is coming back almost completely in tact next year. I don't think there's much doubt this team goes into the season as preseason #1, Big Ten favorite and most talented team in country.  

The lineup will look like this:
G Muse
D Gutman, Buckmaster, Kleyn, Mehl
M Dorsey, Rennicks, Moore, Gutjahr, Thomas
F Warr
Backups: Panchot, Swartz, Glass, Palazzolo

This will be the deepest and most talented team IU has fielded since the early 2000's and our 4 backups I put would start on probably any recent IU team except this one. What is nice is for the first time since Baseball in 2013 (which I know ended badly ironically to Stanford also but was still the most hyped and talked about team that program has had and sold out almost every game) you will have an IU team going into the year that everyone knows can win a national title and will have a lot of hype. You will not sellout Armstrong because its to big but you could easily average close to 3,000 fans a game and have people talking from the moment the season kicks off. Soccer under Jerry Yeagley had a special buzz around town in the late 90's and early 2000's that went missing until the middle of last year when everyone knew the team was good. Now hopefully we have an entire season of being no. 1 and living up to sky high expectations. I am hoping to duplicate 1997 and 1998 where we suffered the gut punch to UCLA in the college cup in 97 to end a chance at an undefeated season but came back in 98 to win the title after losing a couple times during the year. I'll gladly take a loss somewhere to win the title as long as its not the last one. 

No Wittenbrink in your forecasted lineup?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

No Wittenbrink in your forecasted lineup?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I would love to but again who are you taking out? Everyone of the guys I have starting has earned his place and is maybe the best at his position in the sport. Maybe he backs up Warr or pushes him to start but given how deep this team is I don't see to many freshman playing much if at all. We will need them all in 2019 when this team is gutted but for 2018 I would assume every player who is new is either playing very little or red shirting given what we have back.

The spring schedule gets underway on Saturday, Feb, 25 when Indiana will face both Valparaiso and Evansville in Bloomington, Ind. at the Mellencamp Pavilion. The Hoosiers' matches against Valparaiso and Evansville will be closed to the public due to lack of space inside Mellencamp Pavilion.

On Saturday, March 3, Indiana will face the professional team Swope Park Rangers of the United Soccer League (USL) at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. at 8:00 p.m. ET as part of the Circle City Showcase. Last season, the Rangers made it all the way to the USL Cup Final, but fell to Louisville City FC on a goal in the 88th minute.

Just over a month later, the Hoosiers will play rival Saint Louis at Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium on Saturday, April 7. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 pm. ET and admission to the match will be free.

The Hoosiers will return to Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. on Friday, April 13 when the team faces Butler at 7:00 p.m. The match will take place during the Crossroads of America College Showcase.

Indiana will play Notre Dame in its annual spring meeting on Sunday, April 22 in Fort Wayne, Ind. at 3:00 p.m. part of the National Soccer Festival. The Hoosiers-Fighting Irish matchup will take place at the University of Saint Francis' Bishop John D'Arcy Football Stadium.

The highlight of the spring season for Indiana takes place on Sunday, April 29 at 2:00 p.m., with the Hoosiers playing their annual match against a Mexican Youth National Team side. This year's match will pit IU against a Mexico Youth National Team at Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/2/2/mens-soccer-announces-2018-spring-schedule.aspx

@IndianaMSOC: Opened up our spring schedule today with Wins over Valparaiso and Evansville! Goals by: Warr x 2, Glass x 2, Thomas, Schmidt, and Yeagley.  Next up @SwopeRangers on Saturday March 3rd at Grand Park in Westfield,IN #goIU

Rennicks called up.

@ussoccer_ynt: The U-20 #USMNT is flying to Spain for a 12-day training camp featuring some friendly matches vs. France & @Atleti's U-21 squad. https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/03/16/16/32/20180316-news-u20mnt-heads-to-spain-for-matches-vs-france-and-atletico-madrid

3/21 vs France

3/23 vs Atletico U21

Something crazy...the NCAA may start having referees keep official time of matches like every other form of competitive soccer I know of. Cue Yeagley time!

Also under consideration, allowing bands, musical instruments and artificial noisemakers while the ball is in play. Play Pee Wee!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-women/article/2018-03-29/soccer-referees-could-start-keeping-official-time

The Indiana University men's soccer team played the Saint Louis Billikens to a 1-1 draw in a spring exhibition match on Saturday night at Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

After a scoreless first half, IU's Griffin Dorsey got the Hoosiers on the scoreboard with a penalty kick in the 64th minute. Dorsey converted after earning the penalty kick himself.

Attacking down the right side, the rising sophomore was fouled just outside the box, but stayed on his feet. Dorsey got past a SLU defender, but was brought down inside the 18-yard box to earn the foul and the PK for Indiana.

With just seven minutes remaining, the Billikens took advantage of a IU foul, netting the equalizer on a free kick. After a foul was called on the Hoosiers, SLU had a free kick from 24-yards out, just left of center. The Billikens' Leo Novaes struck a left-footed curler, scoring inside the right post and tying the match at 1-1.

The Hoosiers, who controlled possession throughout the match, had some opportunities in the waning minutes, but were unable to convert. For the match, IU out-shot the Billikens, 7-5, and had a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.

The Indiana University men's soccer team will be back in action on Friday, April 13 when the team faces in-state rival Butler at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/4/7/iu-mens-soccer-draws-saint-louis-1-1-in-spring-action.aspx

1 hour ago, ccgeneral said:

The Indiana University men's soccer team played the Saint Louis Billikens to a 1-1 draw in a spring exhibition match on Saturday night at Jerry Yeagley Field at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

After a scoreless first half, IU's Griffin Dorsey got the Hoosiers on the scoreboard with a penalty kick in the 64th minute. Dorsey converted after earning the penalty kick himself.

Attacking down the right side, the rising sophomore was fouled just outside the box, but stayed on his feet. Dorsey got past a SLU defender, but was brought down inside the 18-yard box to earn the foul and the PK for Indiana.

With just seven minutes remaining, the Billikens took advantage of a IU foul, netting the equalizer on a free kick. After a foul was called on the Hoosiers, SLU had a free kick from 24-yards out, just left of center. The Billikens' Leo Novaes struck a left-footed curler, scoring inside the right post and tying the match at 1-1.

The Hoosiers, who controlled possession throughout the match, had some opportunities in the waning minutes, but were unable to convert. For the match, IU out-shot the Billikens, 7-5, and had a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.

The Indiana University men's soccer team will be back in action on Friday, April 13 when the team faces in-state rival Butler at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/4/7/iu-mens-soccer-draws-saint-louis-1-1-in-spring-action.aspx

I saw a couple tweets and seeing how Caulfield played goalie in at least the second half and it looks like we subbed every other minute I am not sure what you can take from this game. The only thing to come out of it and its very positive is Dorsey played and is healthy after missing the Swope Park game I was at last month. Other than that you cannot learn anything from a game like this from twitter (and probably not even being there given we played so many players).

I am going to try to attend Butler next week since it is very close to my house as always and when I watch the team I will update how they look with a much better idea. 

The Indiana University men's soccer team defeated in-state rival Butler, 3-0, in an exhibition match indoors at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind.

Austin Panchot led the Hoosiers with a goal and an assist, while Griffin Dorsey also netted a score. Thomas Warr added an assist for IU in the win. Goalkeeper Sean Caulfield made four saves in the shutout.

In the 39th minute, the Hoosiers found the back of the net on a counter-attack. Thomas Warr was able to find space down the middle of the pitch and found Panchot on the left side. Panchot made a move to find space and placed a great shot to the lower far post, beating the Butler goalkeeper and giving the Hoosiers a 1-0 lead.

In the 61st minute, Indiana again struck on a counter-attack. Panchot found Dorsey down the right flank, who found space inside the 18-yard box. The rising sophomore had a great finish, beating the Bulldogs' keeper from 12-yards out.

Just four minutes later, a Hoosier attack led to an own goal from Butler, giving Indiana a 3-0 advantage.

The Indiana Hoosiers will next be in action on Sunday, April 22 when team faces in-state rival Notre Dame in Fort Wayne, Ind. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. ET.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/4/13/mens-soccer-indiana-beats-butler-3-0-in-exhibition-match.aspx?path=msoc

9 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

The Indiana University men's soccer team defeated in-state rival Butler, 3-0, in an exhibition match indoors at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind.

Austin Panchot led the Hoosiers with a goal and an assist, while Griffin Dorsey also netted a score. Thomas Warr added an assist for IU in the win. Goalkeeper Sean Caulfield made four saves in the shutout.

In the 39th minute, the Hoosiers found the back of the net on a counter-attack. Thomas Warr was able to find space down the middle of the pitch and found Panchot on the left side. Panchot made a move to find space and placed a great shot to the lower far post, beating the Butler goalkeeper and giving the Hoosiers a 1-0 lead.

In the 61st minute, Indiana again struck on a counter-attack. Panchot found Dorsey down the right flank, who found space inside the 18-yard box. The rising sophomore had a great finish, beating the Bulldogs' keeper from 12-yards out.

Just four minutes later, a Hoosier attack led to an own goal from Butler, giving Indiana a 3-0 advantage.

The Indiana Hoosiers will next be in action on Sunday, April 22 when team faces in-state rival Notre Dame in Fort Wayne, Ind. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. ET.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/4/13/mens-soccer-indiana-beats-butler-3-0-in-exhibition-match.aspx?path=msoc

I was going to go last night but something came up so not exactly sure what happened other than tweets I saw. Looks like we went full throttle and throttled one of the top 15-20 teams in the country which is good to see. Only move we made that differs from regular season was putting Caulfield in goal over Muse which is fine for spring. I know Muse is fine since he started and played entire Swope Park game last month.