Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2019) SF - Mason Gillis to PU

Culver Academies (23-6) defeats New Castle (27-3) 65-60 and advances to the 3A championship.  Gillis had 23 pts. and 5 reb.

New Castle already out with a game summary:  http://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/03/17/ihsaa-semistate-new-castle-falls-culver-military-academies/434999002/

Gillis is a stud. He has a body similar to Justin Smith right now. He might not be as explosive vertically at this point but is certainly a better shooter right now. I think he is probably our plan B if we don't land one of TJD and Brooks. I think we end up with 2 of the 3. Rumor has it he would come to IU if given the offer as well from what I've been told. 

Gillis is a stud. He has a body similar to Justin Smith right now. He might not be as explosive vertically at this point but is certainly a better shooter right now. I think he is probably our plan B if we don't land one of TJD and Brooks. I think we end up with 2 of the 3. Rumor has it he would come to IU if given the offer as well from what I've been told. 

Thank you. I was beginning to feel like the only one high on him.

Also, where/who did you hear the rumor from? Feel free to PM me. I'm a Henry County native and still fairly local so you've piqued my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Thank you. I was beginning to feel like the only one high on him.

Also, where/who did you hear the rumor from? Feel free to PM me. I'm a Henry County native and still fairly local so you've piqued my interest.

Just something that I've heard from a couple people that are pretty well connected in Henry County basketball circles. It could be them hoping since they are IU fans but they are also well connected so who knows for sure. But I do trust their insight. 

Just something that I've heard from a couple people that are pretty well connected in Henry County basketball circles. It could be them hoping since they are IU fans but they are also well connected so who knows for sure. But I do trust their insight. 

Interesting. Depending on who it is I can see there being a good amount of truth to that. I'm betting we know some of the same people.

3 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Interesting. Depending on who it is I can see there being a good amount of truth to that. I'm betting we know some of the same people.

Very possible. I coach in Delaware County but know several people in and around New Castle. That's why when people kept talking about him playing baseball I knew that wasn't happening because he's had baseball offers for at least 2 years and never taken one of them. 

New Castle Star Press -

INDIANAPOLIS — New Castle junior Mason Gillistook the spring off of baseball to focus on his college basketball prospects.

Unfortunately, one of Purdue's top 2019 targets has been forced to take a few weeks off of basketball as well.

Gillis was in street clothes while his Indiana Elite 17U squad opened Adidas Gauntlet play at Warren Central this weekend. He said he'll have an MRI this week to assess the severity of a right knee injury, which he aggravated last week.

Gillis said his doctor speculated he has suffered lateral meniscus damage but do not believe he has torn any ligaments. 

"My mom and I always talk about it — the things that are supposed to happen end up happening," Gillis said. "It could be for a good reason; we don't know. I've been working so hard to try to prevent this type of stuff, and then this other stuff happens.

"It is what it is. I'll come back from it better."

Gillis said he believes he first suffered the injury in New Castle's regional championship game at Marion, when he took a charge and slipped on the sweaty floor in the lane. He aggravated the problem in Indiana Elite's first game last weekend when he landed on it wrong while shooting a floater. He played four more games, but the knee didn't respond to treatment over the past week.

Gillis said if surgery is necessary he only expects to miss "a couple of weeks." Indiana Elite's coaches expect him back for the second live period, which begins in mid-July.

Purdue, Butler, Xavier and Ohio State have stayed in touch with Gillis "all about equally." He said he was trying to set up an unofficial visit to Purdue for the coming week and the Buckeyes after that.

The knee injury is not believed to be a long-term concern for the four-star power forward, ranked No. 135 overall in the 24/7Sports.com national composite for 2019. He averaged 21.6 points, 12.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists for New Castle's Class 3A final four squad.

"They're telling me I can come in and play right away with my physicality and my versatility," Gillis said of the message from Purdue and other schools. "I'll have to earn it, but they think I'll be able to play pretty soon and have an impact as a freshman."

Although there's no mention of IU in the article, just within the past day or two I'm sure I read that he was planning an unofficial visit in the very near future.

FW News-Sentinel

NEW ALBANY – For the mass of New Castle High School basketball fans that had traveled the 140 or so miles down to the banks of the Ohio River Wednesday, it had to be a tad frustrating to watch Trojan stars Mason Gillis and Luke Bumbalough compete in the Indiana Junior All-Stars’ battle with their big brothers, the Senior All-Stars, at New Albany High School.

In the case of Bumbalough, he didn’t do what he is capable of doing, which is shoot the lights out of the basketball, as he missed five of seven shots overall (3 of 4 from 3-point range).

And as for Gillis, he may have been physically capable of playing well, but his mind has to catch up with his knee.  Gillis had surgery in late April after tearing his meniscus and in the 111-101 loss to the Seniors, he – at times – appeared tentative but with good reason.  

“I’m not 100 percent,” Gillis told News-Sentinel.com earlier in the week, “but I’m pretty good right now. I’m trying to get strong again. My mental side, I’m trying to get that back and not worry about (the injury) anymore.”  The 6-foot-7 Gillis went through pregame warm-ups in two earlier games for the Junior All-Stars but never felt strong enough to compete in the games.  Against the Seniors, he made three of his five shots en route to eight points but he didn’t attempt a 3-pointer, which was a bit unusual for this ever-evolving player.

As a team, New Castle likes to jack-up some long shots (the Trojans made 256 3-pointers last year) and Gillis is getting better and better at doing so.  He made 32 3-pointers as a junior and connected on 45 percent of his attempts.

“Over the past year-and-a-half, two years,” Gillis explained, “I’ve really developed my game to go to the perimeter and be able to shoot.”  What Gillis did do against the Seniors, however, was go after the ball.  He grabbed a team-high seven rebounds despite playing fewer minutes than five of his teammates. That effort wasn’t anything out of the ordinary for Gillis.

Last season, Gillis averaged over nine rebounds per game and notched 23 double-doubles for the Trojans, as he scored nearly 22 points each game.  In a victory over Mt. Vernon, Gillis had 22 rebounds, while in a win over longtime rival Muncie Central he scored 33 points and grabbed 19 rebounds.

New Castle won 27 of its 30 games and didn’t have its season end until falling 65-60 to eventual IHSAA Class 3A State Champion Culver Academies in the semi-state. The sectional and regional crowns were the first for the program in 10 years.  That success was in large part due to great team chemistry, which Gillis said he is in search of at the next level, as well.

“You need the right guys,” Gillis explained, “You need to be able to bond with the guys. There obviously are conflicts everywhere but to be able to mesh with the guys and play together and win some games.  “You trust each other with anything.”

Gillis said that Boston College, Ohio State, Purdue, Xavier, and Butler are all equally under consideration right now, as he searches for “the right fit.”  “I’m looking for a coach that wants me to come in and make an impact,” Gillis said. “Someplace where I can go and develop as a person and a player.”

With his knee feeling better each sunrise, that shouldn’t be much of a problem to achieve.

It goes without saying, but CAM can't take 'em all (doubt he would ever want to...).  I won't lose sleep with Pork Chop recruiting the Gillis's, Isaiah Thompson's, Eric Hunter's of the world while CAM is pulling in the likes of Damezi Anderson, Rob Phinisee, and Romeo.

It goes without saying, but CAM can't take 'em all (doubt he would ever want to...).  I won't lose sleep with Pork Chop recruiting the Gillis's, Isaiah Thompson's, Eric Hunter's of the world while CAM is pulling in the likes of Damezi Anderson, Rob Phinisee, and Romeo.

Agreed. Just no room.

But I want Purdoo to have no one.

NO. ONE. EVER.

8 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Hunter and Gillis aren’t ranked too much differently than Anderson and Phinisee. I agree with you re Romeo but the other guys are comparable when it comes to rankings. 

Hunter and Gillis aren’t ranked too much differently than Anderson and Phinisee. I agree with you re Romeo but the other guys are comparable when it comes to rankings. 

regardless of rankings the

difference would be Anderson and Phinisee were top targets (both had offers)for Purdue correct? Despite what some fans say it was a blow to Purdue’s staff when these kids went elsewhere (especially Anderson). Since hunter and Gillis were ranked in state players IU’s staff didn’t ignore them and kick the tires around them to see them but never offered either one of them.

19 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

regardless of rankings the

difference would be Anderson and Phinisee were top targets (both had offers)for Purdue correct? Despite what some fans say it was a blow to Purdue’s staff when these kids went elsewhere (especially Anderson). Since hunter and Gillis were ranked in state players IU’s staff didn’t ignore them and kick the tires around them to see them but never offered either one of them.

This, plus I think PUtrid and Xavier were #1 & #2 in his recruitment and we were a distant #3 at best.  We just never seemed to be totally into recruiting him.  Maybe our contacts with him were more along the lines of a courtesy?  Anyone else feel that way?

18 minutes ago, Class of said:
This, plus I think PUtrid and Xavier were #1 & #2 in his recruitment and we were a distant #3 at best.  We just never seemed to be totally into recruiting him.  Maybe our contacts with him were more along the lines of a courtesy?  Anyone else feel that way?

Gillis has been a heavy purdue lean for a couple of months. As scouts have said in the past IU’s staff will not turn down a ranked in-state kid if he wants to visit. It never hurts to have them on campus. IU’s staff is looking at the bigger picture and building in-state relationships with everyone involved. I personally think Gillis will be a really good player down the road. He is also really nice. My son and I sat next to him and his mom at one of Indiana elite’s game at warren central.