Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2019) SF - Mason Gillis to PU

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Lost to Beech Grove on Feb. 2, 67-57

Lost to Carmel on Jan. 29, 61-59

They are 16-2 on the season.

how did they lose to Beech Grove, they haven't been any good since John Hart was there

I was going to say the same. I hope they pick up the pace on him. Obviously the work he's put in on his perimeter shooting and dribble moves is paying off. Strong build while still athletic and smooth with good body control. And he's probably not done growing. With a year left to develop he can be a really great in-state get.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

From Gillis's on-camera interview, it did not seem that the IU staff was showing all that much interest.

Definitely seems like a late bloomer and offers indicate he's a BIG talent. We'll see where the staff dedicates their time in April evals. Sounds like he likes Indiana so we could catch up if we get involved.

NEW CASTLE, Ind. — Mason Gillis was doing what he always does for New Castle. Letting the game come to him, controlling the paint, stepping out and hitting a few jumpers.

If you didn't come to New Castle Fieldhouse knowing Gillis was about to reach 1,000 points, you wouldn't have known until halftime when they announced it over the PA. The game didn't stop, because it was business as usual.

Gillis scored 19 in the first half as Class 3A No. 2 New Castle (17-2) earned a 65-46 Hoosier Heritage Conference win over Delta (15-6). The junior finished with a game-high 29 while teammate Luke Bumbalough added 20.

"It felt like he did it pretty quietly," New Castle coach Daniel Cox said of Gillis' milestone. "It wasn't something where he's had 30- and 40-point games. It's been Mr. Consistent his three years. It's a testament to his hard work and how he's been able to improve as a player each year."

New Castle 67, Pendleton Heights 62

The Class 3A No. 1 Trojans (19-2) earned the outright conference title, finishing undefeated in HHC play for the first time in school history. Luke Bumbalough poured in 25 points (17-18 FTs) while Mason Gillis added 18 points and eight boards.

New Castle (27-2) beat Marion 77-70 after nearly blowing a 24-point lead.  Blackmon scored 14 of his 25 in the second half.  New Castle was led by Mason Gillis with 30.  New Castle to face Culver Academies in the semistate.

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/03/10/new-castle-holds-off-marion-win-regional-championship/414309002/

1 minute ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Old Fart, what do you think about Gillis?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Can't really give you an opinion as I've been mostly keeping my eye on Galloway.  Just from what I've read over this past winter, I don't think he'll end up at any school lying south of I-70.

Can't really give you an opinion as I've been mostly keeping my eye on Galloway.  Just from what I've read over this past winter, I don't think he'll end up at any school lying south of I-70.

As long as he doesn't end up back here in Lafayette. He will be a thorn for us if so.

I'm more impressed with him than Galloway. Better athlete. Strong on both ends of the floor in both physicality and skill. I'll give Galloway some slack on the development end of things since he's a year younger.

Honestly, New Castle's guards didn't look for him nearly enough. He's capable of driving through or rising up over just about anyone.

Needs some work on ball handling and footwork off the wing. He's got a nice touch on his shot as well.

He's one to watch, even if IU isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app