Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2019) SF - Mason Gillis to PU

Visiting for the Northwestern game.  6'7"  220 lbs. out of New Castle HS, New Castle, IN.  Has offers from Butler and PUke among others.   Plays AAU ball for Indiana Elite.

From Eric Gardner last October - 

One of the things that you have to look for when development for players in the Junior year is for post players and forwards. Today’s game shows that you have to be more versatile. New Castle’s Mason Gillis is looking to improve on that and has been making strides.

Gillis, a 6’6 forward, is a guy that has been high on our list for a while with his all-out energy and effort on every play. He’s got a great motor and a big frame and in the last year, he has been growing and developing. While it is still going to be a process for him, he’s getting better and better.

Mason has done more facing up away from the rim, handling the ball and working on his jumper. It’s better and getting good enough you can see where he could get to by the end of his senior season, a place where a higher level of program is going to recruit him.

So far, he has offers from IUPUI, Miami (OH), Toledo, and this weekend he picked up an offer from Butler.  Butler represents that next level of talent that could come into play quickly here.  Mason told us that Xavier, Michigan, Purdue, and Indiana have been in touch recently as well.

The upside is high for Gillis, whose father Bill, played at Ball State back in the early 90’s before having a professional career overseas. His mother ran track at Ball State and his older sister is a volleyball player for Wisconsin. The expectations are high for his development and he’s showing those things that lead you to believe he will get there. Changes are happening and he’s only going to get better.

A friend of mine said Matt Painter was in attendance at his game either last week or a couple weeks ago. I believe that's when he received the Purdoo offer. I frequent the area often so I hope to catch a game.

7 hours ago, A.j. Nigh said:

As my sons GC freshman game was at 6, was hoping to get to watch Gillis. Instead the wife wanted dinner. So the scouting report is coming from a 15 yr old freshman point guard....in addition to the 26/15 stat line had a couple blocks and steals. GC has some size but not much athleticism so he should have dominated there and he did so it appears. Son said he had him at 8 of 9 shooting in first half, with a 3 and a nice mid range turn around jumper. Has a good developed body (listed at 6’7 220) and good length and was able to guard our guards. Butler coaches were in attendance to watch allegedly - not sure my son actually saw them or if that’s just what he was told, so I don’t want to report incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tell your son that's a solid report.  And I think I saw a tweet early in the evening that Butler was at the game.

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

2012 LLWS walk off rbi single to send New Castle out of the Great Lakes regional. Here is the video

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ok that's pretty cool. 

24 pts (8-11 fg, 2-3 3fg, 6-6 ft), 11 rebs, 2 asts and 1 stl last night. Let's see what this kid does in the upcoming schedule.

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/19/hs-hoops-rundown-friday-night-scores/1050437001/

The Class 3A No. 1 Trojans dominated Yorktown for a 75-36 win on Friday night, improving to 15-0 on the season. New Castle has won all but three games this season by double digits. After playing Central Christian on Saturday, New Castle enters the toughest portion of its schedule. Its next five games are against Carmel, Beech Grove, Hamilton Southeastern, Delta and Pendleton Heights.

New Castle suffered their first loss last night 61-59. Gillis finished with 14 pts and 12 rebs.

@INBBallSource: Carmel nipped New Castle at the buzzer in a fantastic high school game. Free recap: http://inbasketballsource.com/2014-2015-high-school/2017-2018-high-school/5152-dramatic-carmel-win-over-new-castle