Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) SG Armaan Franklin to IU

I watched the first half and I don’t k ow what Cathedral was trying to do. Guys chucking terrible shots, missing bunnies. Armaan Franklin looked good but he didn’t touch the ball except for about every fourth possession. I assume the 2nd half was more of the same. 
It was pretty much the same. The announcers were saying they need to get the ball to him but just didn't happen. Scored or found an open guy when he did get it. Did turn it over a couple of times trying to get to the rim.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Friday night Cathedral lost to Ben Davis 56 - 55.  Franklin 21 pts on 8-13 FG; 4-5 on 3's; 1-1 FT; 6 reb; 0 assts; 5 stls; 2 TO.

Saturday night Cathedral defeated FW Snider 77 - 65.  Franklin 23 pts. on 8-16 FG; 1-4 3's; 6-8 FT; 4 reb; 4 assts; 3 stls; 1 TO.

Lawrence North sectional rankings.  As USPS commented in the IHSAA tournament thread, this is a loaded sectional.

LAWRENCE NORTH
SECT.
RANK
STATE
RANK
TEAM OVERALL
RATING
SCHEDULE
STRENGTH  RANK  
RECENT
  RATING   RANK
GOLDEN MEAN 
  RATING   RANK
 1   1   Warren Central   105.11   87.87   4   102.24   3   104.94   1 
 2   2   Lawrence Central   102.18   86.44   7   106.20   2   102.25   3 
 3   6   Lawrence North   95.43   87.81   5   95.94   5   95.13   7 
 4   7   Indianapolis Cathedral   95.15   84.98   11   94.32   8   95.48   5 
 5   97   North Central (Indianapolis)   75.07   88.14   3   71.72   116   74.89   96 
 6   120   Indianapolis Tech   72.16   80.08   19   72.90   108   70.69   132

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Cathedral over Indpls. Metropolitan 91 - 55.  Armaan with 34 pts, 9 reb, 4 stls.

Indy Metro an athletic and undisciplined team.    Tough to say whether or not this one was 'him' or 'them,' but a great stat line.  I'd put more stock in 21 against Ben Davis.

Dont follow much hs ball except through the recruiting forum but does Armaan have any shot at Mr. Basketball or is TJD the clear favorite?

I think Armaan will make it A LOT closer than anyone expected. I supposed if Cathedral goes on a run and wins state then he would have a small chance but TJD is a McD's AA and I can't see them not giving him the award no matter what. If TJD played on a team with more talent his numbers would be much better. I go to CG games regularly and teams have figured out they just need to double/triple down on him and force the rest of CG to beat them and you can see recently CG has struggled bc of this and TJD's numbers haven't been as impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm always a little more impressed when these kinds of honors are determined by actual coaches; not sportswriters.

Indianapolis Star

Cathedral senior Armaan Franklin was named the City Player of the Year by the city’s basketball coaches.

Franklin, a 6-5 Indiana recruit, is averaging 23.5 points, 7.7 rebounds, 2.3 steals per game for Class 4A eighth-ranked Cathedral (18-5), which will play in a Sectional 10 first-round game against host Lawrence North on Tuesday.

Cathedral coach Jason Delaney was named the City Coach of the Year after leading the Irish to a City tournament championship for the third consecutive year.

Here is the full All-City team:

First team

Armaan Franklin, Cathedral, Sr.

Jalen Johnson, Manual, Sr.

Kycia Washington, Howe, Sr.

Nate Soltis, Cardinal Ritter, Sr.

Harold Bennett, Crispus Attucks, Sr.

Second team

Andrew Williams, Heritage Christian, Sr.

James Franklin, Cathedral, Sr.

Edreece Redmond, Bishop Chatard, Jr.

Sincere McMahon, Crispus Attucks, Jr.

Andre Dickerson, Shortridge, Sr.

Third team

Jalen Stamps, Howe, Sr.

Alandus Conner, Washington, Sr.

Caleb Redman, Manual, Sr.

Cameron Shurig, Covenant Christian, Jr.

Hunter Jackson, Tech, Jr.

Watched the live stream of the game. First time I have gotten to watch Armaan play, and I can say I am excited for this kid. He gets it done on both ends of the court, and that sequence where he had a block and a coast to coast finish followed by a steal and another coast to coast finish was impressive. He kept cathedral in the game all night and almost brought them back at the very end.

Can’t wait to watch him in an Indiana uniform these next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

40 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Armaan's high school career ended this evening as Lawrence North defeated Cathedral 65 - 59.   Unofficially, Armaan finished with 30 pts. on 11-18 FG; 2-7 on 3's (one was a 3/4 court heave); 6-9 FT; 3 reb; 2 assts; 3 stls; 1 TO; 2 blks.  Cathedral had no interior defense and LN got way too many points and second chance points in the paint.  

Well at least he will be use to losing in the 1st round of a tournament.

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Armaan's high school career ended this evening as Lawrence North defeated Cathedral 65 - 59.   Unofficially, Armaan finished with 30 pts. on 11-18 FG; 2-7 on 3's (one was a 3/4 court heave); 6-9 FT; 3 reb; 2 assts; 3 stls; 1 TO; 2 blks.  Cathedral had no interior defense and LN got way too many points and second chance points in the paint.  

Was at the game watching a couple of other kids I have known for a long time, and a fringe benefit was getting to watch Arman.   He's going to have a nice college career.  Closest comparison I can make for anyone who's not seen him is Romeo.  He is not quite as smooth; not quite as polished, especially with his right hand; and maybe not quite as good with the step back; but he's got terrific athletic ability; nice vision (he saw a lot of cracks and was able to get through them); is a great finisher at the high school level; has some range although he is NOT the shooter we all know Indiana needs; and he can handle it well in the open floor.  Had a nice game against several D1 athletes.    I think he contributes pretty quickly.  Has a good college body already and at least 6'4" (I'm not sure what he's listed as being, but he has legit size for a college 2.  

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Was at the game watching a couple of other kids I have known for a long time, and a fringe benefit was getting to watch Arman.   He's going to have a nice college career.  Closest comparison I can make for anyone who's not seen him is Romeo.  He is not quite as smooth; not quite as polished, especially with his right hand; and maybe not quite as good with the step back; but he's got terrific athletic ability; nice vision (he saw a lot of cracks and was able to get through them); is a great finisher at the high school level; has some range although he is NOT the shooter we all know Indiana needs; and he can handle it well in the open floor.  Had a nice game against several D1 athletes.    I think he contributes pretty quickly.  Has a good college body already and at least 6'4" (I'm not sure what he's listed as being, but he has legit size for a college 2.  

Thanks for the report. I’m ready to see guards like Armaan in Archie’s system. I think we will see a much different product on the court as this happens 

Indpls. Star -

The sectional tournament is a new basketball season – and a time to break out some new material. For Lawrence North’s David Perkins, it was a chance to strum a few strings on his air guitar.

Perkins, the senior left-hander, channeled former Indiana Pacer Lance Stephenson after burying a 3-pointer in the middle of a game-changing fourth-quarter run in Tuesday night’s 65-59 win over visiting Cathedral in Class 4A Sectional 10.

“I didn’t even see that,” smiling teammate Jared Hankins said of Perkins’ guitar solo. “Hopefully he keeps doing that and making those threes.”

Find out on Friday night. Lawrence North (17-6) will get a shot at third-ranked Warren Central (22-2) in the second sectional semifinal game. 

Lawrence North offset a 30-point game from Cathedral senior and Indiana recruit Armaan Franklin. The 6-5 guard walked out of the locker room after his final high school game with a white towel draped over his head. The only other Cathedral player in double-figure scoring was senior Ross Welch, who came off the bench to finish with 10 points.

“We tried to contain Armaan as much as possible,” David Perkins said. “But he’s such a tough player. He showed us that tonight.”

Cathedral trailed most of the way before ending the third quarter with a flourish. Justin Hensley drilled two 3-pointers in the final 30 seconds to cap a 16-6 run and give Cathedral a 45-41 lead heading into the fourth quarter. Five of Cathedral’s six 3-pointers came in the third quarter.

The Irish pushed their lead to 47-41 early in the fourth before the critical Lawrence North run. It started on a putback from sophomore guard Shamar Avance, who finished with a team-high 18 points, and – after a charging call on Armaan Franklin – Hankins hit his first 3-pointer. That was just the beginning of what turned out to be a 12-0 run.

Lights out. Turn up the tunes, David Perkins.

“It kind of snowballed from there,” Cathedral coach Jason Delaney said. “Our kids went toe-to-toe with them. Armaan, as always, tried to put us on his shoulders and carry us. We’ve had a heck of a three-year run here, but at the end of the night, not to get the wins in the tournament is disappointing.”

Perkins finished with 15 points and eight rebounds. Hankins, an Indiana State recruit, battled foul trouble much of the night, but scored nine of his 14 points in the second half. D.J. Hughes and Tony Perkins each added eight points for the balanced Wildcats.