Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2019) SG Brandon Newman to Purdue

8 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I don’t think we are slow playing Newman. We would take him today or tomorrow.

The sooner the better. I would highly doubt they would give him an offer but he can’t commit. His build is of a more physical guard ala Quinn Buckner. What he has in common to Carton is they won’t get pushed around. This is exactly what we need in the B1g.

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, we'd take Carton and Newman IMO.

I'm feeling we take 4 somehow in this class, just not sure how.

If we stick to 3 it gets complicated.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I know some don’t like to talk about it, but i’d be shocked if there isn’t a transfer after this season. I’m looking at our front court specifically, as there is a logjam of sorts there. I’m expecting it to be a 4 man class.

11 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I know some don’t like to talk about it, but i’d be shocked if there isn’t a transfer after this season. I’m looking at our front court specifically, as there is a logjam of sorts there. I’m expecting it to be a 4 man class.

Personally?

I don't mind discussing it like you just did at all - as a mod the place that I (hopefully gently) draw the line is when posters name a specific kid that may be in good standing, and posit him as needing to be gonzo.

I agree that we have a bit of a glut of bigs, especially if/when DeRon comes back healthy. 

Exactly. Crean would sign projects and then recruit over them forcing them out. It was an every year accurance and I believe a factor in why HS coaches in Indiana distanced themselves but that discussion isn’t for this thread. I really like Carton and adding Newman would make 2 very nice additions to the future backcourt. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Personally?

I don't mind discussing it like you just did at all - as a mod the place that I (hopefully gently) draw the line is when posters name a specific kid that may be in good standing, and posit him as needing to be gonzo.

I agree that we have a bit of a glut of bigs, especially if/when DeRon comes back healthy. 

Personally, I think it would be one big and one guard. If we land Carton (and I feel like we will), that puts us at 4 point guards. Durham and Green could be moved off the ball but would still have to contend for time with incoming (possibly) and existing players. I just don't see they PT being there for somebody.

31 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Personally, I think it would be one big and one guard. If we land Carton (and I feel like we will), that puts us at 4 point guards. Durham and Green could be moved off the ball but would still have to contend for time with incoming (possibly) and existing players. I just don't see they PT being there for somebody.

You're right, but there is never playing time for everyone- even a 9-10 man rotation leaves a few on the outside. 

I'm continually amazed how some of the top (paying) programs stock-pile quality depth. Sure they have defections and transfers...but then the next crop comes along. 

I guess my point is, I would like to have 2-3 deep of legit All-B1G quality players at every position and deal with those issues rather than the other end of the spectrum.  

1 hour ago, Bigred3588 said:

Firstly...I generally agree with everything above you said.

However, I think the problem will never be "too many point guards"; instead, it will be "can two or three of these potential players (Phinisee, Durham, Green, and Carton) be on the floor at once" and be effective.

I don't see why not - primarily, Durham and Green would need to be able to defend against a big guard. I have no doubt that Durham can, and I think DeVonte is listed at 6'3" and is a pretty solid build. If the defensive end of the floor is covered, having DGreen or Durham as the two guard on the offensive end is excellent news. A starting lineup of Carton, DGreen, Hunter, Justin Smith, and TJD with Durham and Phinisee the first two guards off the bench?

Sign me up.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Firstly...I generally agree with everything above you said.

However, I think the problem will never be "too many point guards"; instead, it will be "can two or three of these potential players (Phinisee, Durham, Green, and Carton) be on the floor at once" and be effective.

I don't see why not - primarily, Durham and Green would need to be able to defend against a big guard. I have no doubt that Durham can, and I think DeVonte is listed at 6'3" and is a pretty solid build. If the defensive end of the floor is covered, having DGreen or Durham as the two guard on the offensive end is excellent news. A starting lineup of Carton, DGreen, Hunter, Justin Smith, and TJD with Durham and Phinisee the first two guards off the bench?

Sign me up.

Green and Durham were actually the exact players I was thinking of when I said two of the 4 could play off the ball, so I can absolutely see two of the four being on the floor simultaneously. I don’t see us getting away with 3/4 very often though. That would be some serious small ball considering the tallest one is Durham at 6’4.

I also believe we will have some transfers after this season, but we’ve heard how good these players are as actual people off the court; perhaps they understand that it will be ‘their time’ eventually and they stick around even though they aren’t getting the PT they think they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners