Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

1/9 IU vs Penn State University Game Thread

Did anyone notice Johnson losing out on several 50/50 balls? A couple of those might have actually been 75/25 balls in his favor. I remember in particular a pass that got away from him. He went after it a bit lazily and the PSU defender quickly came from behind and grabbed it for a transition layup. Johnson had AT LEAST one step on the PSU defender and still couldn't get to the ball first. There were also several long rebounds that went right in Johnson's direction and he was caught flat footed. What should have been an easy rebound was picked up by PSU.
Rojo was the only starter who didn't look like he was playing hard.

I had the exact same thought. There were 4-5 plays like this. I thought is he really THAT slow or is he just not hustling? He's an enigma for sure. I really wish I knew what happened to his shot because he was a pretty good shooter for 3 years. He isn't even forcing shots. He is consistently missing open looks. Got to be mental but why'd it start in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I had the exact same thought. There were 4-5 plays like this. I thought is he really THAT slow or is he just not hustling? He's an enigma for sure. I really wish I knew what happened to his shot because he was a pretty good shooter for 3 years. He isn't even forcing shots. He is consistently missing open looks. Got to be mental but why'd it start in the first place.

I noticed a couple of times last night that as soon as he released his shot, he knew it was going in and immediately followed for the rebound.  Even though you are supposed to follow your shot, that is not typical of him in years past.  He always had the confidence that each shot was going in.  Headgames (que the Foreigner song).

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

Like it or not he’s our best defensive guard and has the most scoring ability. Archie doesn’t really have any other options. 

Yeah, I totally get that and I agree. But that also makes his statement false.

Shooting problems started last season for him. His shot went away and we were struggling

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

17 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Is this a sign that Davis is so bad for Archie's system we are better without him. 

I don't think so. For one thing Davis is effective when the guards GIVE HIM THE FREAKING BALL instead of just looking at him and reversing it. Also, I wonder if this injury has been  progressing? He's has looked even slower then usual for a while. 

He's not Tim Duncan for sure, but I think he's above average and can be an important contributor. Also, as of now he's the only Center IU will have next year! 

I don't think so. For one thing Davis is effective when the guards GIVE HIM THE FREAKING BALL instead of just looking at him and reversing it. Also, I wonder if this injury has been  progressing? He's has looked even slower then usual for a while. 
He's not Tim Duncan for sure, but I think he's above average and can be an important contributor. Also, as of now he's the only Center IU will have next year! 

From the way archie is recruiting im not sure he plans on playing with a "true" center. More like taller wing players and 2-3 guards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BtownBanners mobile app

How about PSU's play out of the timeout late in the first half? Carr dribbles to the arc and gives Johnson a forearm, uses two screens moving right, and then gives another forearm to Newkirk (?). Why isn't this something that's universal in college basketball? It's basketball not football or rugby. I do wish IU would turn up the physicality so they get a bit more leeway like other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Dakich commented about Davis "complaining about having to limp in practices". I think this has been progressing slowly the last several games, if that's true. He definitely had a hitch in the Ft Wayne game (it think it was)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

21 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Phinisee is probably going to do wonders for Davis' game.