Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

1/9 IU vs Penn State University Game Thread

Is this a sign that Davis is so bad for Archie's system we are better without him. 

I don’t know, I have thought that as well. I don’t know if the team is good enough to throw words like “better” around. I think they are a different team. Maybe not better or worse, but different. De’Ron is matchup dependent. This might have been a game where we might have missed him inside. He’s got good footwork and size, can dominate certain matchups. I think he would also be missed when we face teams with legit, back to the basket, big men in the near future. Our offense is different when he’s not there at times. We get stagnant, and like in this one, we settle for perimeter shots from guys who can’t shoot it well. Sometimes I found myself wishing we could just dump it down to De’Ron and let him go get us 2.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Is this a sign that Davis is so bad for Archie's system we are better without him. 

For all the good things that Davis can do for us, his lack of foot speed hurts in CAM's defense and he tends to clog the lane making it difficult for our guards to drive. I wish he was still available because we need the frontcourt depth, but I also like what we've done the past two games.

Hate playing against PSU. Without Carr, Stevens and Watkins that team is absolute trash

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No depth whatsoever. That’s for sure. Hurts them. 23-1 in bench production edge for IU. If they had it though? Could really beat a lot of teams.

And that first foul could probably be blamed partly on RJ.  Never the less, he needs to learn to play without fouling - I did notice he has a tendency to bite on shot fakes.

I was going to post this earlier. Rojo needs to let the screen get established before taking off. That said his other 2 fouls weren't smart.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, IUsafety said:

Congrats on the perfect score. I thought I was going to gain some more ground on you, bummer.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I usually never do well in prediction leagues. This is an outlier for me, but a welcome one lol

Is pack the line easier when there isn’t a plodder like Davis? Would love him against Purdue or other big man dominant teams don’t get me wrong. Put defense looks more crisp

I personally think so.

Just finished watching the recording. A couple things:

-Other than Newkirk and Green coming in an out for each other, I’m pretty sure we had the same lineup in for the last 10 mins or so if the game. It was working and Archie stuck with it. Love it. 

-Clutch free throws at the end. Really impressed by both Newkirk and Green knocking those down. 

First game in attendance this season. My biggest takeaway, this team lacks any sort of basketball IQ. There were several times throughout the game where the crowd would really get into the game and then would give up an easy layup or would jack a contested three. It's something really small but could help so much in creating separation.

Loved Newkirk and Green hitting late free throws

Carr loves using his offhand to create separation. Refs love it too.

Good win. Need another good effort against NW Sunday. 3-2 in the down Big Ten

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

First off can we please dump the myth that we don't do well against PSU? While the games are always unnecessarily close we have now won 10 of 12 against them which is by far the best against any Big Ten team recently. Other than the first 3 years under Crean where they were at their best ever and us at our worst where we lost 5 of 6, we have dominated PSU like no other Big Ten team the last 25 years.

Part of the reason the games are close though especially at home (save for the 2 Zeller years where we wiped the floor with them both times) is when we play them the Hall is dead like it is not against any other Big Ten team (including Zeller years). People rarely stand, the place is half empty and feels like an NBA atmosphere at best. PSU just doesn't excite anyone when they come here so its actually easier for them to keep a game close than it is any other team that comes in during conference play as the Hall never has its normal buzz. 

Now I want to say with the game that this is the best I have seen us close out PSU. I know they hit a couple of prayer 3's very late but we actually hit our FT's, broke their press (save for the 10 sec violation a little earlier) and adequately got the ball in bounds to keep them at bay at the very end. Every time under Crean in all these close games against PSU we have either lost (the ridiculous melt down in 2014 up 10 with a minute left) or had the game unnecessarily go to wire since we turned the ball over against their press and missed FT's in last minute to give them a chance (other than 14 we have held on despite trying to choke game away). This is the first game this season I can clearly say I saw a change for the better in the way the team played under Archie compared to the exact same situation under Crean in the last minute. Much calmer and no mistakes this time. Well done.  

Also save for a few stretches, the ball movement was pretty good tonight. Now if only we could learn to hit a few open 3's.